• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Winter storage?

Go_Dogs_Go

Here in Colorado the winter gets pretty cold on occassion and where I live we receive a fair bit of snow. I need to move the Sprite out of the garage for other winter projects.

I am not sure what to do for mothballing the Sprite for a few months. I could put it in storage, build a shed, etc but what about the freezing temperatures on components like seals and bushings? Is the extreme cold a problem?

I would guess that I need to start the car on occassion also?

Jack stands required?

What do you guys think is necessary for winter storage?
Many thanks.
GDG

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Cold is not a problem, Anti freeze is the answer.

Jacking it up is not an issue for over the winter.

However, it should be out of the sun, sunlight, and rain and snow and be covered yet be able to breath ie well ventilated.

Rent a storage unit for it. Take the battery home and keep it charged.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Get one of those $200 Harbor freight car tents (if you have room in the yard). Mine has has quite a bit of snow on it without problems but the cover does die after about 2 years from the sun so now I put a $49 tarp over the cover to protect it from the sun and change the tarp every couple of years (much less expensive!).
BillM

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Billm said:
Get one of those $200 Harbor freight car tents (if you have room in the yard). Mine has has quite a bit of snow on it without problems but the cover does die after about 2 years from the sun so now I put a $49 tarp over the cover to protect it from the sun and change the tarp every couple of years (much less expensive!).
BillM

That's exactly what I do. I'm up to my third tarp! :laugh:

By the way, the only time you should start a car that's been sitting is if you intend to run it up to full operating temps (by driving it).
If you just start it and let it idle, it's not really a great idea for the oil or internal engine parts.

Putting on "junk" tires or parking on soft surface (triple layer of old carpet) can reduce flat spots on tires.

RickB

Yoda
I had a tarp style shed bought from Costco that lasted quite a few years.
A very strong (90+ mph winds) storm finally took it out.
I've recently put up a Shelter Logic 12 x 24 shed, it's quite a bit more heavy duty but is also more than twice the money.
Ok - at least 3 times.
So far I'm really happy with it, I put vents (bought at the hardware store) in the ends to make it not rain inside any more - the condensation was pretty bad.
I use two ten foot pieces of pvc pipe in the door pockets and roll up the doors and hold them up with bungies.
Beats the heck out of paying for the door hardware from Shelter Logic.

I'll try to take a better picture if anyone wants to see it but here is a pic of the end with a couple cars in it:
tub_home.jpg

arfamoe

Country flag
Dont forget to get some Bounce dryer sheets to put inside the car and under the seats to keep away any small furry friends who wish to make a nice winter nest in your car

Jimflorida

Jedi Trainee
Ship it down here to Florida. I'll even take it over to Sebring and run it around the track to keep it happy. Jim

OP
Go_Dogs_Go

Go_Dogs_Go

Nice offer Jim! Give, give give! I like the car tent idea but I already have a big one in the driveway to keep the tree sap that drips from the cottonwood off the cars. My wife would not like either idea so far.

I actually looked to see if I could find a large rubbermaid storage container to either drive the car into or construct around the car. I really like the idea of boxing it up in the backyard. The neighbors would pretty well expect that from me.

Maybe it is time to buy that wall tent I always wanted! Camp chairs, cot, run eletricity and watch football while smoking cigars in the front seat of the car, pot of pork and beans on the woodstove...

61frogeye

Jedi Trainee
Before I got married I used to empty the gas out my motorcycles and keep them in my house (I had 5 bikes then). Now that I am (very happily) divorced I am considering replacing the front wall of my enclosed porch with a garage door. The room is on a slab, is heated with the rest of the house, it's huge and is right next to the attached 2 car garage. I have always wanted a 3 car garage. :smile:

startech47

Jedi Knight
Check your building codes. Make sure you replace the wall to the rest of the house with a fire rated wall. Be careful not to invalidate your insurance.