• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

So I have nothing better to do

G

since my car went for work, I'm looking at fuel injection conversions for the 6. One that I could integrate with the other stuff I want to do.

I found this:

https://www.twminduction.com/ThrottleBody/ThrottleBody2000.html

If you look down at the bottom they have a manifold for a TR6 (due Aug05 - I hope they just neglected to update their site...).

Has any one heard of them before, or better yet tried it?

OP
G

That is the system that Moss will be selling for the TR6. Note the location of the company, Goleta, California - Moss Motors is in Goleta.

Bill

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi Alan,

I think that would be great fun to try on a TR6.

Alternatives are the Webcon and Lumenition kits. Revington TR sells both, and either with a choice of keeping the stock distributor or going to a crank fired ignition system. I think the Webcon is the most sophisticated, but also the most expensive.

There are other things to consider. A new fuel pump and some mods to the gas tank would probably be needed (might be included in some of the kits, at least they should be at the prices I'm seeing!). Fuel lines and filtering might need to be improved. In order for a US-spec TR6 to perform well with fuel injection, a different cam and increased compression, at least to UK-specifications, would make sense.

All that done (and probably a few things I've forgotten to mention), should produce around 150 HP pretty easily. Add a fully electronic ignition to take it a step further.

Have fun pondering the idea!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
G

Nah Shannon, no prices seem to be posted but if you look at some of the pricing for the VW 4 cylinder and extrapolate that to a 6 cylinder I would think that the basic kit would start at about 3 thou for the TR6. Then the fun part begins, as Alan very succinctly points out above, the base TR6 engine just ain't ready for this kind of induction. I would guess that one could easily spend upwards of $5000 to get this system up and running on a TR6. I think there are a few of these systems running around on the West Coast already, some of the early beta testers.

Bill

trboost

Jedi Trainee
Rick Patton has been doing amazing things with F/I. He has an incredible design that utilizes the original Stromberg lower half & looks just like stock. His personal multiport fuel injection/supercharged car is an incredable project that is running & very quick. We have been comparing performance numbers & his car is even faster , with more tuning he will be untouchable. I have watched a video he sent me & this car runs like a raped ape. Rick's advances in this field are cutting edge for the TR community.

Here is a link to the standard carb f/I site
https://topshamautoparts.com/tr6/tbi.htm

OP
G

Mitch, that guy was the inspiration for my search for an fi manifold. I saw his one online and wondered whether I'd be able to buy something to duplicate it - my metalworking shop is only in my head rather than in the garage...

I'd want something that I can have the s/c hanging off of the back of and afaik he's the only one that's done both together. I was thinking of trying to integrate his tbi kit into the setup I want, but sequential fi is the ultimate performance wet dream.

Shannon, as to cost, they'll do you a full custom setup for $4100 - it's on a different part of their site - so I can't see this being that much.

Of course there is a whole load of other stuff that goes with any kind of fi so this wouldn't exactly be a cheap option regardless...

EDIT: Rather than obsess endlessly I sent them a note asking for more info. If they reply I'll post the results.

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
I've looked at Rick's setup, and I'm very impressed with it - I've even thought of adapting it to TR4A engine(if I don't swap a 6 in).

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Alan,

My motor is ready from a cam/compression viewpoint. However, 4 large is a pretty big stretch. I'm finally starting to get my three little ZS carbs right, the switch to FI would have to be pretty compelling.

OP
G

Can't fault the response, that's for sure.
Here's what they have to say (the spelling mistakes are theirs, not mine):

Basically all the engineering is done. We are awaiting the casting tooling and we have yet to make the core box.
The kit will consist of three pairs of manifolds, fuel rail, injectors, fuel pressure regulator, air horns and air box, all specifically designed to fit the TR6. It will be available with 45mm throttles.
We are expecting the price to be around $4200.00 complete and deliveries of the first production to begin in early March 2006. Attached is a JPEG view from our Solidworks CAD files

Attachments

• 146743-cadcam.JPG
    146743-cadcam.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 57

trboost

Jedi Trainee
The downside to the F/I by itself is that you won't gain that much in HP/Torque for the investment. Again , most of the developed HP will usually be in the upper rpm range. It is absolutly a beautifull piece of work. Of course lots depends on the other work to compliment the added fuel & air. Even Ricks F/I SU replacement dosen't boast performance gains but reliability & driveability enhancements.

If it had the ability to later be adapted to a turbo or blower I would be more inclined to buy it, but it's not. Fuel injection is about efficiency & optimization. In an open throttle battle unless your carb is very poorly tuned , the results would be similar except for fuel consumption because of the infinite tuneability of F/I. Since race condtions don't apply I think the gains for street use would be mild power gains & better throttle response. You will also have to deal with re-mapping the timing & fuel curves with changing motor designs and power adders.

I'm not bad mouthing the product , only saying everything must be considered before diving in. It's alot of money to invest & not get the results you expected.

OP
G

No arguments there.

I'm going to do the s/c first then see whether it's good enough. If not then I'll consider spending even more for something like this. It is a lot of dough though.

swift6

Yoda
My triple strombergs are pretty well dialed in now but I am also looking to eventually fuel inject my TR6. I have a set of PI manifolds and plenum that I plan to adapt to the job. I realize that my performance gains will be minimal but I do look forward to drivability enhancements. Fuel injection can smooth out the "lumpiness" of my GP3 cam and make it a bit more friendly in heavy traffic. (it gets a little grumpy in heavy traffic now) I know that it won't be cheap but the other reason that I want to do it is simply because I want to. It's all part of that "Ultimate TR" idea I keep working torwards.

OP
G

[ QUOTE ]
but the other reason that I want to do it is simply because I want to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great sentiments. I wholeheartedly agree.

trboost

Jedi Trainee
Alana,
I'm sure it will be more than good enough, at first. But like boating , after you buy a boat, you want the bigger boat! It's the same wit HP. Power definitly corrupts & is addicting. Fast is not fast enough pretty soon.

It's all relative. When I think I'm doing pretty good , my brother pulls up next to me in his stock C5 corvette & prances away like I'm stepping on my brakes, that sucks !!! But when I pull up to a anything in the mid to low 14 sec range or sub 6sec 0-60 time , I'm in my home court. Unfortunatly there are too many cars rolling out of the factory with over 200hp & high 13 sec 1/4 times. In the old LBC world these are respectable times. Although these are not dragsters the added power translates in to very quick rolling acceloration & gobs of power to slingshot through a turn.

It's all about fun & has nothing to do with practicality.

OP
G

Right but then you also have the relative speed thing to consider. Before getting the new house I had a modern sportscar (and yes I do miss it). I went karting for a day - 100cc karts, not even shifters. When I got back into the car I thought someone had stolen 3 of the cylinders. In fact I nearly overcooked the entry ramp to the freeway because I'd got used to the kart. They can't have been doing more than 60, but they felt a lot faster. I will say that it was the most fun I've ever had vertical...

The LBC has the same effect. 90 in it feels a lot quicker than it does in the Landrover (or even the VW). It's not nearly as attractive to radar either, but then I think that that must be due to the implementation of early stealth technology by Triumph...