• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Nothing is ever easy!

JBlubaugh

I spent a chunk of the weekend pulling out the old radiator, hoses, belt, and pulleys. The plan was to replace all the rubber parts with new fresh ones, clean up and wipe out the accumulated road grime on the front of the engine, and drop in a new radiator ( Wizard Cooling). Everything was going great until I tried to drop in the new radiator, it doesn't fit! :mad:. Sits about 1/2" too high and will make contact with the hood.

Before I blame Wizard, I need to check a few things. The front end internal geometry has been modified by the PO upstream from the results of a crash or two. Odd thing is the old radiator fits, unless it has been modified.

Does anyone here happen to have the dimensions for a 3000 radiator?

Worse thing that happens is I could make 2 small drop down brackets and only use the upper mounting nut on the bottom part of the radiator. That would drop it down and provide clearance.

Thanks for the vent and the help.

Jim

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hmm

Jim If the old radiator fits.

Measure the spacing between its mounting brackets and the new Aluminum one
If they are different.

Perhaps the front end repairs placed the chassis radiator mounting brackets at a different location???

OP
J

JBlubaugh

Thanks Rick -

That's what i am getting on this one as well.

From the top of the top tank (not including the filler neck) to the bottom of the bottom tank is 21 3/4" which is the same height Wizard provided in the drawings of the radiator they made for me.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Rick -

That's what i am getting on this one as well.

Did Wizard send you a drawing of your radiator before it was made? If not, PM me your email and I'll send you the one I received. Although there will be some differences in the depth measurements with mine and a standard radiator, the height, width and bracket locations will be the same as a stock one. If the height of yours is equal to the stock one, then the only thing different on the Wizard radiator could be the bracket locations. Do you have pictures of the radiator mounting points on your car, so we can see if they were changed after the crash repairs?

OP
J

JBlubaugh

Thanks Keoke -

That's my next assumption. If the specs from wizard are good, and they appear to be, my money is on the brackets on the original radiator having been moved. I'll have to wait until the original comes out of the shop. I had it cleaned up and restored for a BT7 project ( my Fathers original Healey) that i'll start in October.

Thanks,
Jim

Hmm

Jim If the old radiator fits.

Measure the spacing between its mounting brackets and the new Aluminum one
If they are different.

Perhaps the front end repairs placed the chassis radiator mounting brackets at a different location???

OP
J

JBlubaugh

Follow-up

Ok, after trying various positions of the radiator I was able to find a combination that allows the hood to close and the gives good clearance to the fan. The problem lies with the top left mounting bracket on the car. Looks like a previous repair has the bracket slightly out of position by 1/2 inch. The only problem I have is that I cannot secure the radiator to this bracket. I don't think that will be an issue as I have it mounted with 5 other bolts. It is also slightly askew which is driving me crazy, but is totally functional.

Not sure if modifactions were made to the original radiator, will have to confirm when I get it back early next week.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Healey rad.jpg
    Healey rad.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 174
OP
J

JBlubaugh

Side view showing the slight mis-alignment.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Healey rad 2.jpg
    Healey rad 2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 168
OP
J

JBlubaugh

Could you move the driver's side forward to square the radiator to the front and drill a hole in the radiator support to match the hole in the bracket on the radiator? There's plenty of metal in the support in that area.

I think that is going to be the cleanest way. Will have to drill out holes on both sides to match. Now to wrestle it out :smile:

Thanks,
Jim

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I think that is going to be the cleanest way. Will have to drill out holes on both sides to match. Now to wrestle it out :smile:

Thanks,
Jim

Cover the fins on both sides with cardboard first, they dent really easy and you're almost certain to nick them somewhere during the Wrestlemania. I like to secure the bottom hose first before bolting the brackets on, it seems a bit easier than trying to get it on later.

OP
J

JBlubaugh

Cover the fins on both sides with cardboard first, they dent really easy and you're almost certain to nick them somewhere during the Wrestlemania. I like to secure the bottom hose first before bolting the brackets on, it seems a bit easier than trying to get it on later.

Good idea Rick - Thanks

Jim

OP
J

JBlubaugh

Took it out for a nice drive this morning through early afternoon, temp never got over 190. Best part was sitting at the traffic lights and not having to worry about getting some air to flow over it.
Sidenote- The Denis Welch fan is great. The reduction in fan noise coming from the engine was worth the hassle alone.

Thanks for all the help, especially Rick and Keoke.

Jim