• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire seat foam for 71 Spit

kc_doyle

Jedi Trainee
I think that I'm into my second childhood. After selling my fully restored 67 Spit a few years ago, I've once more been bitten by the bug. Gtta have one.
One of the things that really neads attention are the seats. The skins are good but the foam is pretty bad. After looking for replacement foam for them, I was wondering if there is anyone that has just cut upholstery foam and made their own. Could use a little help on this one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Oh yeah, almost forgot.. My wife is all good with the idea. "just don't expect to spend too much."

Adrio

Jedi Knight
Country flag
That is an excellent question. I have been wondering the same thing as regards my TR3A seats and the current worn out springs in the seat bottoms. It would be nice if there were some magic foam available that can be cut to make comfy seats.

guzzul

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have looked at this too in the past to recover my own seats. At the end of the day, while the seat foams seem expensive to buy, it's probably the best way to go.

The foam itself has got quite expensive these days, particularly the density needed for seat foams. And you have to buy it in large 'sheets' typically also, so just on foam cost alone you are getting close to a 'why bother' decision.

To shape the back-bolster and seat side-bolsters also takes some talent and preferably a long-bladed upholsterer's saw to do the job right. Even at that, you have to get the shape just-right, otherwise the seatcovers will look sloppy. I have tried it - its not easy.

I notice the new seat foams are 'pieced' together, so the shaping job is not as difficult. If you can get ahold of one and see how its done, you could probably recreate it, but as noted above, after the foam cost, why bother? The cash savings is way offset by your time, IMHO.

I ordered my seat foams from TRF at the end of the day. The best price I could find was from Motorhead (motorheadltd.com) in Fairfax, VA, but I had not dealt with them before so I went with TRF. You might try SpitBits also, Nigel is usually competitively priced.

If you're looking for new seat upholstery, don't forget to check the UK for prices. Canley Classics sells a very nice set and the cost seems lower than from US sources, even after exchange and shipping. Also I have bought reupholstery material from Park Lane Classics (www.parklaneclassics.co.uk) and I think he is planning to sell seat upholstery sets also. He has been very reasonably priced in the past.

OP
kc_doyle

kc_doyle

Jedi Trainee
Thank you for the info. I've looked for Spit foam sets and have had a problem locating them. I'll look at the sites that you suggested.

Cheapsnake

Jedi Trainee
kc, you might want to check the post, "Some People Never Learn" before you give your bro in-law any kudos.