• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A layout for lap type seat belt

deuce

Country flag
Hello all.... I am going to install lap belts in my 1960 Tr3a. Two questions.. I got belts from Moss (short). Are these correct ? The originals were longer. Where should the buckles locate when in use?
OK, three questions. Can anyone give me the anchor locations for the hook type attachments? That is what was original. TIA

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
What was original--Interesting question! Have you found any large holes in the body where the previous anchors were located? Likely not or you would not be asking this question. My answer is that I am not sure when Triumph or the dealers started putting seat belts in, but my 1960/1961 TR3A did not have any when I got it in 1962 or 1963.
I just finished a restoration of a 1959 TR3A which was preceded by 2 TR4 restorations. The late 1962 TR4s did come with seat belts. So on the TR3, I tried to duplicate where the anchor points were on the TR4.
The anchor points should not change between the bolt or hook type.
I have included 3 pics of the anchor locations that I determined to be best. This is on a 1959 where the rear shelf may be different than your car. So the center anchor would be more forward. The third pic is the view inside the rear wheel well.
I believe the buckle should be to the center and the adjustment should locate the buckle at the center of the passenger. Check your new set to see if they are long enough before you try to install them.
You said you had an original set of belts. Maybe so and maybe no.
Charley

Attachments

• 20240123_184319.jpg
    20240123_184319.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 40
  • 20240123_184333.jpg
    20240123_184333.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 35
  • 20240123_184513.jpg
    20240123_184513.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 38

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
As the early TRs did not come equipped with seatbelts, Standard Triumph issued instructions for retro fitting. See attached.

Attachments

• ST Seat Belt Fitment_.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
  • tr3belts.pdf
    209.2 KB · Views: 53

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Keith, I am impressed! I have seen the template for 2-point mounting many times, but I did not know about the factory bulletin for 3-point.

Deuce, something to think about is that many TR accidents envolve a roll over, since the track of these cars is so narrow. I put seat belts in my TR3A, but did not in my TR2. My fear is that in a roll over without a roll bar, your head is vulnerable. So, while seat belts will help in non-roll over accidents, I think they will be worse in a roll over. Plus, it would be a bonus to be able to move to the side of the non-telescoping steering column in a forward collision to prevent being shish kabobed. Just food for thought.

Also...with the factory belts, they tend to fall out of the car and get slammed when the door is shut?!?

JHaydon

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Also...with the factory belts, they tend to fall out of the car and get slammed when the door is shut?!?
Yes, yes they do. And they make a heck of a racket when the door opens and the buckle hits the sill plate on the way down.

PO installed plain lap belts in my 59. I have a set of retracting belts from Moss waiting to replace them.

OP
D

deuce

Country flag
Thank you all for the input, layout diagrams, etc. The way I read it, Ohio requires all vehicles to have front seats to have belts... so now I have them. Almost ready for the maiden voyage.. after 8 years restoring this beast.. 30 years since it has been on the road. Waiting for things to dry out here with snow, rain, gloomy weather for weeks it seems. So, thanks again all.
George

Attachments

• 20240129_110058[1].jpg
    20240129_110058[1].jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23