• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Safety wire gadget

G

I am a sucker for gadgets and had to have a safety wire plier that I saw in the Pegasus catalog. The safety wires on my steering column knuckle were not tied very well, just wire jambed in the bolts to keep them from backing out. Well, I got the gadget in with a nice spool of stainless safety wire and for the life of me couldn't figure out how to make it work. Drove me crazy until my dental assistant finally grabed it from me, read the instructions, and was making up safety wires in nothing flat. Slick as can be, the doodad works great and is too cool to make up the perfect safety wires. Unfortunately, this is the only place that I can find that needs safety wires, short of my tranny, so now I have a 100 year supply of wire and a great little tool to play with. My dental assistant is for hire if any of you need help figuring things out.

Bill

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I love those things... I used one mostley for the knock-off spinners on the Cobras. They all get safety wired to the wheels.
Also, Jaguar uses a lot of safety wire (E-Types especially).
I'm sure you'll find some creative use... those pliers are far too fun not to play with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

71tr

Jedi Warrior
Bill,

I like Brosky's comment. Maybe you can make use of the excess safety wire in your practice.

OP
G

[ QUOTE ]
Any pictures of the dental assistant?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you remember the movie, "10"? Well, she is a "3.5".

Bill

OP
G

If you ever see an ugly woman working for me, you can bank on it that she will be a world-class assistant.

Bill

TRTEL

Jedi Trainee
Last time I used one of those was 1971 every time I got stuck with changing oil, even though my real job only required the use of one finger. And an oil sample always got sent to the lab. But it was fun to use, even if I could never safisfy the tech inspector... too loose...too tight..etc.
Tom Lains
TS8651 & 58107

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Bill,

you also need to buy a drill, and drill the bolts etc that you want to lock instead of tab washers etc, or buy an Aston, lots of wire locked areas there, like all the sump bolts on a DB5 :smile:

Alec

Tomster

Jedi Knight
"I am a sucker for gadgets and had to have a safety wire plier that I saw in the Pegasus catalog. "
Being a fellow gadget guy, please post photo, I already think that I need one or two of these even though I haven't a clue what they look like.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I'm very "old school" so I prefer safety wire to Lok-Tite (unless I have no choice).

I drill lots of holes on critical fasteners on the race car and add safety wire. All of the bolts on my tube-shock conversion are drilled and safety wired. So is my alternator conversion and most of the other home-brew stuff on the car.

My plane is peppered with safety wire too; not surprising since it's a 1941 and they didn't really have Lok-Tite back then.

My prop hub looks sorta like this one:

propellerbolt_torque.jpg

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Bill: You aren't an orthodontist by the way are you, cause I'd say you could safety wire one of your patients braces shut if they give you a hard time.

Also, I could have a beaut LBC if I wasn't paying for 6 yrs of braces! lol, now college next year!

OP
G

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I could have a beaut LBC if I wasn't paying for 6 yrs of braces! lol, now college next year!

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel for you dude. I have three sons that are all professional students: One heading into a PhD, Two studying for the LSAT, Three in second year of med school. Got em through undergrad debt-free (they all worked as well) but they are on their own for grad schools. But you never let them starve so money still flows to them.

Just don't send them to BC, BU or Harvard so you and the mrs. can still eat.

Bill

Bugeye58

Yoda
Nial, do you realize that only one set of those prop bolts is even remotely wired correctly?
And, Grade 5's on a prop hub?
Jeff

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Jeff:

It's a picture from an ultralight......you could probably get away with Grade Two 1/4-20s on those things.
Plus, I think it turns "backwards" compared to a real plane.
Which of the three do you think is best?
(obviously, I ain't no A&P /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif )

Bugeye58

Yoda
Nial, the two on the far left are closest to being right. Always bend the pigtails back over to save yourself a nasty cut down the road.
Jeff

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Just out of curiousity, what does the rest of the plane look like?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
This was my locktab/loctite eliminator:

263526-fan_hub2.jpg

Overkill, fer sure... but an 'xcellent excuse to cross-drill the bolt heads and use the tool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif