• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Safety and S/U carb mess

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I finally got the 1959 B/E in the garage and began taking it apart, labeling and taking photos. I believe I don't have the orginal motor in the car as the head is painted red. I also can't ID the carbs, intake manifold and the heatshield configuration. The shield has been modified, I think to allow an after market header. https://www.flickr.com/photos/13206219@N07/2147576789/in/photostream/

photostream
Secondly, I'm just about ready to move under the car and would like to know where should I place my jack stands so I can disconnect the trans etc. I plan to remove all the bits and then use the plywood roll over frame I've constructed. What should I do to be safe while working under it? Not much room if it comes down on you. The adventure begins!

Paul

Bugeye58

Yoda
Paul, the color of the head doesn't necessarily mean anything, what matters is the number on the tag, right front corner of the block, below the #1 plug. It appears that your tag is still there. It should read 9C-U-H-XXXXX
The number after the H would fall somewhere between about 6500 to 26000 for a '59. The carbs are from a later car, though.
Put the jackstands under the front "frame" rails, close to the firewall.
Jeff

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Looks like a 1275 heat sheld and H2 carbs? Hung on a 948?

OP
apbos

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Update
Went to the garage this pm (its 20 min away). The engine in the car has no block number! However the spare block has the number 9CG DA-H6689 ??? Lots of oil on the plate. The dirty carbs have the number AUD 9203 on the float chamber and AUC 8114 on the damper.

I also dug up the spare intake manifold that came with the car AEA 634. The "plumbed" manifolds number is 12G 299 VAF. What in the world do I have? Obviously not all original parts. I hope to pull the motor New Years Day and strip down the car to put it on the roll over frame Wed also. My first full day off in a month! The joys of being on LA Vet!

Paul

dklawson

Yoda
I agree with Jack. The carb and heat shield look like HS2 parts off a 1275.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Paul, the spare engine is from a '61, either a Mk II Sprite or Mk I Midget.
It's possible that the carb and heat shield setup came from this engine. The heatshield has definitely been cut to use that funky header. That heatshield and HS2 carbs were used from the '61 through the 1275's in '74.
The next time you look, see if you can get the number cast on the cylinder head, under the valve cover. Should be a number such as 12A185, 2A629, or 12G202.
You've got the early forged rocker arms, rather than the later pressed steeel ones. This may be a collection of parts that was assembled into an engine.
Jeff

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What do you bet that the head has part number 12A185?

bugimike

Yoda
jlaird said:
Looks like a 1275 heat sheld and H2 carbs? Hung on a 948?

A "butchered" 1275 heat shield?? Where do those springs going through the hole(???) attach? That is not stock, as the springs should attach to the bottom edge of the heat shield! The float-chamber lids look a little odd to me also! That's some "interesting" plumbing on the intake manifold!

Take engine and tranny out as a unit and split them out of the car (much easier!). What do you have to get under it for if you have the plywood roll-over set up for, just roll it over!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Just kidding. The usual precautions should be taken while under ANY car!! I find a set of ramps invauable for many under-the-car operations! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda
There is a lot of oddness about that whole setup, Mike.
Did you notice that the fuel hoses are conncted wrong?
And I don't remember seeing an oil filter standoff like that before, either.
Jeff

bugimike

Yoda
That stand-off is "different", but I have seen a number of different setups there (both stock - from different model? - and after-market!). /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I got a couple of dollars that says that is a Bugeye engine. Stand off looks right as does the vacumn connection to the vacumn on the Dizzy.

OP
apbos

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
And the winner is?????? 2A629

Did not get the motor out today as the hoist was not available. Hopefully on Wed. Did package and label more items off the car this afternoon. Managed to break the brake/clutch line connections to the MC. Tried to turn the motor over....frozen. Will try again when the motor is out.

Paul

Bugeye58

Yoda
Paul, that's the correct head for a '59 Bugeye.
Are you soaking the cylinders with anything to help free it up while it sits?
Jeff

OP
apbos

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Jeff
"Are you soaking the cylinders with anything to help free it up while it sits?" Yes! Started today. The car sat for at least 10 years. It seems to me that the PO was either rebuilding the car or taking it apart as the starter was pulled, clutch linkage and the trans ground, had been disconnected when I got under the car. Not much info about the car, but what can you expect for $500.00.

Is the second intake manifold the original for the car? I'm wondering which direction I'll go with the car as I'll need a BE set of carbs to make it more original.

Paul