• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Passed safety inspection again

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I was going to take the Tunebug to a more classics-friendly shop, but I was over near the local tire place today, and decided to give it a go. I'm due for the state inspection, and I want to keep the car registered, even though it's bound to be off the road for most of this year.

The (young) guys were very friendly, and had no idea what the little Sprite was. I walked over as one tech was in the lot trying to figure out how to open the door, and we both agreed it might be better if I drove it in myself.

They did the basic checks and sent me on my way, no fuss. So now I'm good for another year, hopefully by next year we'll have a bit more power in there--really, I just hope he'll be running in a year!

That smiling Bugeye face sure does make friends.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You could have shown him how to get in then watched as he tried to start it. Hehe.

10musketeer

Jedi Trainee
I'm surprised Utah has state inspections. What kind of things do they check?

Fortunately they don't do the inspections in most counties in WA state yet, but I'm sure it's coming.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Safety check is state wide, emissions are up to each county to do (my county doesn't do them at all). The safety check is pretty basic -- wipers, lights, brakes, basic stuff. Pretty useless, really, but it's an annual event.

Last year, the guy actually was able to get in and get it started. I was impressed.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
In my state cars 35 years old are exempt from inpsection. I'm glad cause the last time I got mine inspected the guy crashed it trying to get it on the lift after I told him it was too narrow and then he could not find reverse and kept grinding the gears. Finally, I drove it out of there. No more of that.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No one that has not had the two day LBC training session gets to drive Miss Agatha. To much time invested to fool around with children, car hops, or what ever. Just stand back and watch me go. If you want one build it yourself and don't even think about practiceing on mine.

That said I taught two kids to drive on a Bugeye. One went for his driving test with one.

When they said paralel park here he went in front wards. Passed at that point, the whole think was kind of stupid in any case when someone showes up with a real car.

Speedy_Pete

Jedi Trainee
I passed my test first time in FL, although as it was basically around a car park I'm not sure how it was supposed to qualify me to be on the roads!
I'm amazed I passed it though: while waiting in line my Dad, seeing a US Navy calendar on the desk quipped "There you go Pete, you could join the forces" at which I scoffed "I don't bloody think so!".
At this point the inspector behind the desk piped up in his Southern drawl "Son, I served 22 years in the United States Army so you could have the freedom to say that!!"
Without any hesitation my Dad replied "Really? I served 28 in the British Armed Forces..."
Naturally when it came time to take the test you can guess who instructor was!