• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Red dash ignition light glowing very little

Midget78

Jedi Trainee
Hello all & Happy Easter. I had my 78 Midget out this evening to do some running around. On the way home I had my head lights on and my heater fan with it only being 40 degrees out and noticed the red ignition light on my dash glowing ever so slightly. When I would use the turn signals it would glow a bit more then go away after the signals cancel out. I never noticed this before and wonder if I have a problem coming on. The battery, coil, and alternator are all new and Im not sure what else it could be or if it is anything at all. The red light isn't totally lit just a little bit.

tweety

Jedi Trainee
It's some sort of charging problem. My '79 has "glowed" as long as I've had the car, 2+ years. I consider it part of the "Charm" of the car.

You can't just pull the bulb out, it's part of the charging circuit... No bulb, no charge.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Blue is high beams

red - means that your alternator isn't charging the way it should. Not surprising after 30+ years, especially Lucas.

Mine was not charging at all - they wanted $140 (CDN) to rebuild the Lucas so I bought a GM Delco for $80 - stronger and more reliable and cheaper. I was also able to install the Delco with no mods except the plug.

Years ago I ad an old Meteor with an ammeter. It wasn't charging properly and no one believe me that it was likely dusty. I took it apart, cleaned everything and it worked perfectly.

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
There is the chance that one of the diodes in the alternator is kaput. It will charge but not completely and when stressed with more output needed than is available will cause the light to glow (or worse). Bob

George Zeck

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Larry -

Time to swap to a Delco. I did this and can help. Email me when you get a moment.

George
gzeck2 at yahoo dot com

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Does sound like an alternator problem, but you might check ground connections too. Mine turned out to be in one of the multi pin plugs that had a black wire going through it. Securing the connection in the plug cured several annoyances. Notably the right blinker slower than the left, and a further slowing or non function as draw was added. The heater motor being the killer, though not the problem.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
--also may just want to check your fan belt tension. if it is too loose then the alternator won't charge properly.

Bill

Hairyone

Jedi Trainee
Yep all of above, check easy things 1s. Bad/corroded connections. But it's quite probably diodes as Bob says, it will put some charge into the battery but the alternators not well, It could go on for years like this as long as you don't do too many trips in the dark, or rain, or cold. So in UK I would replace it now.

OP
M

Midget78

Jedi Trainee
Thanks guys for the feedback. I just noticed the change as of late and I recall changing the fan belt a few weeks back. Im going to check the tension and see if it needs to be tighter. The alternator was brand new from the box when I purchased the car so Im not to sure about it. It has sat for 4 years on the car without running and maybe 100 miles on it. I'll dig into the wiring connections and clean them up just for the heck of it. It may not be a big deal yet Im getting tired of the surprises when Im out and about.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
My generator was not charging after I mucked about in there. Belt needs to be pretty tight.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Two considerations....

1. Did you add anything recently that might use a fair amount of current?

2. Does the light go out when you rev the engine a bit?

It's possible that you're just at the limit of the alternator's ability to provide power, especially at low engine speeds. Most Lucas LBC alternators are rated at only 35 amps; today virtually all are over 55, and you'll find lots of alternators that put out upwards of 100 amps. Of course, make the checks that have been suggested, but if everything checks out, it might be time for a better alternator.

RickB

Yoda
I have relays in for my halogen headlights and my heater fan.
When I have the lights on bright and the heater fan on there's a faint glow to the red light that decreases with RPM's.

OP
M

Midget78

Jedi Trainee
When I think about if anything was added, I really didnt add anything but I did fix the electrical items that were not working (cutesy light, door light switches, horn, cigarette lighter). I looked at the alternator and all the connecting wires look clean and like new. When I start the car, the red light comes on at idle but as soon as I tap the throttle (increase the rpm) the light goes out and stays out. I drove it today and only had the fan switch on and the light didnt glow at all even slightly. Its when most of the accesories are on that I had the slight glow of the light. I'll keep an eye on it, If need be later on I will change out the alternator. The new one that is on it is a Bosch so it should be a good alternator yet Im not sure what the rating is on it since the previous owner changed it before I purchased the car.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Sounds like it is doing what it is supposed to - at least the on at idle, off at speed. you may have just had it loaded up heater & headlights etc.

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
Mine does the same thing. Lights+fan is just at the limit of what the alternator can cope with at idle. Unless you work 3rd shift in a town with a lot of traffic lights, I wouldn't worry about it.

"A gentleman does not motor about after dark." Attributed to Joseph Lucas. Probably apocryphal, but funny nonetheless.

Hairyone

Jedi Trainee
ah ha! Is the alternator the correct one, i.e. and is pulley wheel the correct size (if wheel's too bit it'll not turn fast enough).
just another thing to check.