• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rear Tube Shock Converstions

Soup

Jedi Hopeful
I should have posted this question sooner. I just took advantage of TRF's 25% discount and placed an order to redo the front and rear suspensions. I didn't change from the stock set up except to go with the urethane bushings. Now I'm wondering if I should have changed out the rear to shocks? I don't race the car I basically just cruise around.

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
The change to tube shocks in the rear made a very positive change for me but it was not a controlled test as the OEM shocks were bad.

OP
S

Soup

Jedi Hopeful
upgrading the rear on my car certainly wouldn't be a controlled test either since it is all stock, so any change will be an improvement. I'm mostly curious about the overall concensus; are all or most people happy when they convert to tube shocks in the rear over the stock rear lever/dampening arm set up?

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I did the conversion on my 4A a few years back, and I am very happy with it. I have very slightly uprated springs. Good stock lever arms were too bouncy, HD rebuilts were rock hard. The tubes are just right.

I used this kit:

https://www.blindmoosefab.com/rear_shock.htm

With Monroe LE10006 shocks.

71tr

Jedi Warrior
Comparing 30yr old lever shocks to a modern tube conversion is a bit of a shell game. There is a school of thought that properly rebuilt levers will perform similar to the tubes. Also realize that the tube conversions will change the stress pattern on your shock mounts and could cause cracks over time.

D

DougF

I noticed a great improvement with the change. But again, my levers were well worn and I have Goodparts springs. the conversion did firm up the rear end.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
What would be great would be a rear shock that has proven durablity, is rebuildable, can be mounted without any modification or special kit and can be adjusted without any disassembly.

Come to think of it, that's what I have now.

OP
S

Soup

Jedi Hopeful
"What would be great would be a rear shock that has proven durablity, is rebuildable, can be mounted without any modification or special kit and can be adjusted without any disassembly.

Come to think of it, that's what I have now. "

Geo Hahn; So what is it that you have now??

From the sounds of it, I need to convert to tube shocks in the rear. Thanks for all the input so far!

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I had a set of stock levers rebuilt with the HD bushings by Apple Hydraulic last year. I am very happy with the ride and handling of the car.

G

I rebuilt mine too.
The difference is quite surprising.
You might want to try that first - then if it's not good enough for you, you'll get the money back on ebay.

DanNagy

Jedi Trainee
I had Spax put on mine. It made the car nice and stiff, but I have read that you dont want to slide your car around with this set-up because of the new stress points. I like to slide in corners, but will never drive this car that way so it didn't matter to me. (First generation Miatas are great sliders.)

OP
S

Soup

Jedi Hopeful
thanks guys, looking into the converstion kits, I don't personnelly like they way they look and would prefer to stick with the stock levers. I know I'm waffling, but now I really think I'll stay stock and get mine rebuilt after hearing from some who are satisfied with the rebuilt levers.

While I have your attention, is there anything else I should consider, maybe a rear sway bar?

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Soup,

Either send yours, or buy a set cheap on ebay and have them rebuilt by Apple in the HD version. Install them and then decide what you need.

My rear springs were sagging a bit, so I installed new stock springs and the rebuilt shocks and I'm very pleased with the results. They were good enough for 33 years, so these should be fine until I'm drooling and not driving it anymore.

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
The FoxBrits car club had the guys from Worldwide do a lever shock seminar at the open house a few weeks back. After seeing how Worldwide rebuilds lever shocks and seeing how "the other guys" do it I'd have Worldwide do mine...one outfit uses a common garden hose washer for an oil seal!!!!

https://www.nosimport.com/?

G

When I upgraded my suspension I added a thicker front and a rear swaybar. The difference in handling was quite astonishing.

I still say that this was the single best upgrade I made.

69tr

Jedi Trainee
My 69 TR6 had the tube shock conversion when I bought it. The ride was way too stiff for me. I put the levers back on and the car handles fine for me as a daily driver.(or will be when I get it put back together)

Pete

OP
S

Soup

Jedi Hopeful
I had already opted to up grade the front sway bar to 7/8 and will now consider adding a rear bar, but will likely wait until after the suspension rebuild is complete, as suggested by Paul.

Looking at the price, maybe I should buy TRF's factory rebuilt shocks. Has anyone used TRF's rebuilt shocks?

TRF