• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tube shock conversion[rear].

mgtildth

I had my front and rear suspension done and had tube shocks put on the rear. The same kit I have on my GT. There is something very *(&^% up going on. It feels like there are no rear shocks. When you push on the back of the car it bottoms out. I don't know if it's possible they put them on backwards? I really don't know. But it seems like there's a ton of room until you hit the bump stop. Car is almost undriveable as it's too uncomfortable. Any ideas on what the heck is going on? It's dark and I can't really see what's going on. Cheers, N

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
The brackets on those conversion kits are reversable so they can be used on both pre 74 (lower) and post 74 (higher) ride height cars.74 was the year the crash standards required the cars to be raised up and the rubber bumpers fitted. if the brackets were installed in the configuration for the taller cars on an earlier (lower) car the new shocks will have a very short throw and will bottom out too soon. the complete opposite situation could also happen. That's one possibility. I'd double check the installation instructions and compare them to how the brackets are mounted. hope this helps Guv'na!

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
The shocks coule be fine...shocks don't prevent travel...the British call them "dampers" which is more accuate...they just control bounce. The travel is controlled by your springs. If it is bottoming out easily, chances are your rear springs are shot. Not as bad as it sounds...$200 in parts from Moss,a good floor jack, 4 jack stands, and a weekend of wrenching on your back will replace the springs. You might want to get new shackle pins and U-bolts while you are at it. I am in the middle of this job now, waiting for warmer weather so I can paint everything with POR15 before I put it all back together.

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Bruuce74b, Its possible for it to be the springs, normally I would fully agree. But mgtildth wasen't having problems until the conversion was done. and he says that the car is "bottoming out" long before the axle hits the bump stops. With the tube shock conversion it is possible for the shocks to hit the end of thier travel long before the suspension bottoms out IF they were installed in the wrong setting on the brackets. You are correct, shocks aren't supposed to limit suspension travel, at least not twards the car, many manufacturers do use them as a downward limiter (MG diden't, thats what the rubber check straps are for) But in this case it's quite possible they are.
Although.. with that conversion, new springs would make for a nice ride. Sorry, I diden't mean to argue, I'm just explaining my theory. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
M

mgtildth

Maybe I should have elaborated...I just had the entire front and rear end rebuilt. I have new leaf springs, pads, ubolts, shackler bushings, etc. I think the shop did'nt install the tube shocks correctly. The shocks bottom out much too soon. It's like not having shocks. I will report the outcome when I get back from the shop. Thank you for your imput. Cheers, N

OP
M

mgtildth

The problem was they put the bracket upside down which put the shock at apparently the wrong angle. The directions clearly show with pictures how to assemble. It shows chrome bumpered B, rubber bumpered B. That's a done deal. Now I need a front wheel alignment. Thanks to everyone for their imput. Cheers, happy motoring. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif