• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Passenger Parcel Shelf in a Bugeye

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Have any of you put in a parcel shelf in the passenger footwell of your Frogeye? I've seen one of these before (but can't remember when or where). I'm presuming it was from a later Sprite. True, not original, but I'm wondering if these easy to find and install? Do they "work" OK?

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Boink said:
Have any of you put in a parcel shelf in the passenger footwell of your Frogeye? I've seen one of these before (but can't remember when or where). I'm presuming it was from a later Sprite. True, not original, but I'm wondering if these easy to find and install? Do they "work" OK?

Yes, yes, and yes.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Gerard said:
Boink said:

Yes, yes, and yes.

Well, that was short and sweet. Thanks! :yesnod: Is there a particular Sprite to steal one from (other than yours of course). :cooler: Can't recall if a parcel shelf comes from a Mark II or more like a Mark IV.

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
They show up on eBay often. I picked up a NOS one there a few months ago.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Whitephrog said:
They show up on eBay often. I picked up a NOS one there a few months ago.

Thanks Ray!

Anybody want to toss in a photo of a nice installation (in a BE)? :smile:

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Boink said:
Can't recall if a parcel shelf comes from a Mark II or more like a Mark IV.

Parcel tray was introduced with the MKIII Sprite/MKII Midget. The glove box door was (I believe) not added until the padded dash was introduced with the MKIV Sprite/MKIII Midget

chad

there are a couple of sources out there for an all aluminum reproduction of the parcel tray, instead of the cardboard original. I believe ah spares might offer them, give collin dobbs a shout if you are interested. I have one, it is very well made.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
chad said:
there are a couple of sources out there for an all aluminum reproduction of the parcel tray, instead of the cardboard original. I believe ah spares might offer them, give collin dobbs a shout if you are interested. I have one, it is very well made.

Thanks. Hadn't even looked in the standard locations. Hadn't considered fabricating one... and that doesn't sound very difficult.

HAN8L1965

Jedi Warrior
Just something for the passenger to bang their knees on, I think that is why the origionals are mostly missing.

Mark

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
HAN8L1965 said:
Just something for the passenger to bang their knees on, I think that is why the origionals are mostly missing.

Mark

But, they're only passengers. :savewave:

RyanBez

Jedi Hopeful
Boink said:
HAN8L1965 said:

Mark

It's funny you say that. Of my close friends, only 1 is under 6 feet (not including my wife)...I am already looking forward to seeing them struggle in the passenger seat, putting one of these in would be just plain mean...they better be nice to me!

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
RyanBez said:
Boink said:
HAN8L1965 said:

Mark

It's funny you say that. Of my close friends, only 1 is under 6 feet (not including my wife)...I am already looking forward to seeing them struggle in the passenger seat, putting one of these in would be just plain mean...they better be nice to me!

Make it a removeable one... and if they behave you can tell them how to slide it out. :laugh:

nomad

Yoda
I have several cars but only one with the parcel shelf. My wife loves it and wants me to fit the other cars with it. I havent asked my tall friends how much of a headache it is and they havent commented.

Kurt.

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
speaking of storage.. What's the story on the two types of insert pieces in the door that give it the "map holding pocket.. I know the early one's were flat and sometime later they had a formed look. At what point did the switch occur?

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Originals were curved and also had a raised panel edge. I think what you've seen that are flat are the cheap repros.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
bug_sixty said:
speaking of storage.. What's the story on the two types of insert pieces in the door that give it the "map holding pocket.. I know the early one's were flat and sometime later they had a formed look. At what point did the switch occur?

Don't know about them... but as I recall with the original Mini, they were just large enough to receive a gin bottle. :cheers: My Mark I Mini had tons of room in those doors.

RyanBez

Jedi Hopeful
Gerard said:
Originals were curved and also had a raised panel edge. I think what you've seen that are flat are the cheap repros.

Do you have a picture of the raised panel edge?