• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Sagging passenger door

X

xsteamer

Well I've known for awhile that the passenger door hinges were suspect because I had to lift the door slightly to close it. We went on a run the other day and wife mentioned that it was getting worse. Sure enough, I can lift the door a good inch before it matches the door latch. Most of the play would seem to be on the bottom hinge inside the door. Before I rip it all apart maybe our body gurus can chime in. Is there adjustment, ie bolts on the hinge inside the door? Any solutions would be appreciated.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
There's no adjustment to the bolts holding the hinge to the body - 3 posi drive screws thru the "A" post you can tighten from the door opening & one large bolt you can tighten by removing the splash panel under the fender.

There is adjustment to the 3 posi drive screws holding the door to the hinge though...& before I did anything else, I'd make sure all screws/bolts are tight.

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
Tony-

It's been years since I've had to adjust a door, but I think there are captive plates inserted through the footwell/side bulkhead that the 4 hinge screws tighten down into. The hinge stud keep it in place for adjustment.

Snug the hinge stud, keep the hinge screws loose and feckle about with the door (technical term) moving it in and out of the door opening (top independant of the bottom). Stuff a towel or two on the sill top to keep it from fouling the sill. Once satisfied, the striker serves to align the back end of the door.

The strap adjustments are used to center the door in the opening (which is what I think the OP wants). Remove the doorpanel capping and card. Soak the 6 hinge strap screws in PBBlaster overnight then loosen them using an impact driver. If the back of the door sags, the door top needs to move in toward the A-post on the hinge strap and the bottom out toward the dogleg on the hinge strap. Small adjustments have a big impact. Make sure to insert packing (rags/towels) between the door and the sill while making adjustments.

IMO, it takes hours to properly align the doors, as they adjust in 3 dimensions.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]It's been years since I've had to adjust a door, but I think there are captive plates inserted through the footwell/side bulkhead that the 4 hinge screws tighten down into.[/QUOTE]

Scott, that's on the latch side - not the hinge side.

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
Tony - you're right. I just looked at some old photos.

But I am certain that the forward hinge has captive plates that are floating behind the A-post for adjustment. No visible slots in old photos though, so no idea how they got back there.

(edit: duh, maybe they're part of the hinge assy itself - I'll bet if you removed the hinge from the A-post they're in a cavity in the hinge itself).

I wrestled with door adjustment for countless hours, I am certain the doors adjust in all 3 dimensions.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]But I am certain that the forward hinge has captive plates that are floating behind the B-post for adjustment.[/QUOTE]

Nope, solid!

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
Don't make me take my door apart /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Errm, look at your racecar... there are little tiny slots just forward of the lower door hinge /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/angel.gif Trust me, there's a floating plate back there /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

GRMfloors.JPG

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Ya gotta figure out if the hinge is bad or the screws/nuts holding it & the door are loose....you can check the 3 posi screws in the "A" post easily, remove the splash panel to check the nut behind the "A" post....then, to check the 3 hinge to door posi screws, the door panel has to come off.....it has to come off anyway if you need to replace a hinge.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
There is a capative plate drilled and taped for the hinge screws in the A column. There are two screws in the door its self.

yep a real pain to adjust, shim the door up with some paint sticks and the screws just snug, open gently and tighten for an initial fit.

The block in the A column should not drop out of sight.

Now this is a spridget but can not immigian mgbs are otherwise.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Jack - you're thinking Bugeye.

OP
X

xsteamer

Thanks guys all is appreciated. Will take door panel off and checkout as soon as possible....

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Check the posi's & nut on the hinge itself before tsking the panel off the door.

OP
X

xsteamer

Thanks Tony, the hinge bolts are fine. Like I said the play is on the door side of the lower hinge

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well, probably time for another hinghe...the hardest part to remove will be the posi screws in the door itself.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And the Mgbs are different, who did that?