• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lowering Passenger Side Ride Height on non-IRS TR

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Like many TRs my TR4 sags a bit to the drivers side. If I would lose 50 lbs that might help but looking for something a bit easier.

I have heard that STC may have added a leaf to the passenger side spring to offset this but if mine has that I sure can't see it.

I was wondering if I could loosen the U-bolt nuts (1) and add a shim under the distance piece (2) to lower the passenger side perhaps 3/16" or so.

RRLeafSpring.jpg

I think there is a peg of sorts on the top leaf that would have to be taken into account.

Anybody done anything like this? Any comments or ideas?

Also, am I correct in assuming that when I loosen those 4 nuts a gap will open up somewhere above the spring (rear axle is sitting on jackstands)?

TIA.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
They took the spacer back out later on.

The "peg" on the top leaf is actually the head of the bolt that holds the leaves together. IMO the best route would be to install the shim between the bolt head and the top leaf (which is where STC put it). Hopefully the bolt is long enough to accommodate that; if not you'll probably need to modify a longer bolt to suit.

If you mean that you have supported the car with jackstands under the axle, then I wouldn't go undoing the suspension ... it still has the weight of the car on it!

Put the jackstands under the frame and then, if necessary, jack the axle up a bit once you've got the U-bolts loose.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
What ever it is it needs to be located very well and ideally not change the suspension balance between the sides. In other words what Randall suggested regarding the bolt is really important.

Another option would be to find or make a different sized block, but major effort there compared to a shim.

You'll likely need two jacks to get everything aligned and back together, and some muscle to push the rear axle into alignment.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
One more point, when you remove the center bolt through the spring, it's probably best to have a C-clamp installed next to it, to prevent the leaves from spreading. I'm not sure if the 'arched' spring would be the same, but on the earlier 'flat' springs, the lower leaves are under some tension all the time and will spread apart without the bolt, far enough that you can't get the nut started.

OP
Geo Hahn

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks for all the tips. I'll go slow and not drop anything (like the body or the axle). I think I will be able to get the body to sit level with an empty vehicle -- with Fat Boy driving solo it will still lean a bit.