• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Looking for passenger side rear marker light module-and lots of fixes/help needed pls

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
Got so excited workin gon the 79 Midget last night and hopefully you gyus can help! Pushed the Midget which was repainted and engine redone 7 years ago into the big garage I just recently cleaned out and setup as THE MAN SHOP!! ;) I started with a box of parts I ordered from Moss 9 years ago and began fixing things one at a time. The Hazard switch worked but was broken. That was a pain in the butt to get out but it is replaced with a new one and works fine. My original was all black bezel and this one is chrome bezel...love the original better and the new one feels "cheap" (because it is made in China i guess). Then I took out the rusted cigarette lighter. This poor car was outdoors with no top when I bought it. So 9 years ago I removed the seats and redid them with kits from Moss. Other than the kits being overpriced adn far from perfect seams on their production. they came out BEAUTIFUL and look great still! So the cigarette lighter is rusted out. Someone was kind enough a few years ago to send me a replacement original for free because I could only find repro cr*p. Anyway got that sorted out, swapped the orange plastic ring from the replacement with the original clear ring (AGAIN I FORGOT WHO ON THIS LIST SENT IT OT ME, BUT THANK YOU!! YOU ARE AWESOME!!). Got to get the bulb to put it back in all the way. Got that out and now need the bulb for it. it's TINY. Any ideas what type it is and where to get one? Perhaps a lcoal car parts store might have a repalcement? The bulb is so worn I cannot see any markings on it. Any help there for type??

Was able to find the broken wires for the rear tail light on the passenger side that did not work and it functions now. Got the driver side rear marker light to start working too! Suddenly this car is becoming a lot of fun again--- like a puzzle! I got the heater box back in, found the wires buried in the engine compartment and that works fine upon hookup! Now, the biggie is the rear passenger side marker light. It does not work even with voltage to it but the socket ooks so worn/damaged that I need just the socket itself. Anyone have a spare socket they can sell me? I will try Moss or Vic. brit. but I do not need the whole side marked, just the light socket.

Oh by the way, it took me 45 minutes to figure out the way to get to the bulb on the side marker. It's held in simply by the rubber "ring"! Too funny!

Also got a wierd wiring problem and I'm having a tought time figuring it out. The rear passenger yellow (aka blinker light) goes on when I turn on the headlights and the right green arrow signal light marker on the dash also goes on. The driver side does not. My 78 MGB upon checking does not either so I assume it is a wiring problem. Any ideas where to start looking for that wiring issue? It must be somewhere in the trunk as I was working in there last night on the taillight last night. Maybe a short but I didn't touch the wires to that light if I remember properly.

Are we still replacing the hoses to the heater box with dryer line aluminum hoses? I do not se any replacements for sale and someone said it is perfect. I was just worried about the engine setting the dang thing on fire..?

How can I test a horn easily? Can I hook a battery to them directly and see if I can get them to honk?? Mine do not work and the body shop did so much wiring damage that i am slowly fixing it all back but these are wired and hooked in. I can trace the wires to the firewall on the other side of the steering wheel but non work. Th eblinkers do not work either off the steering column. The high beams DO work off the steering column on that same handle. And the hazards work to the rear and the dash as well so the bulbs are good. So before I buy new horns, I'd like to see if I can test them to start. I checked the fuses and all are in place but I am not sure what the amps should be in each fuse place holder. Anyone have a layout? I think the two farthest from the windshield are 15A, but can someone please help? thanks

Thats it for now and sorry for all of the neophyte questions. Much appreciated to all of the gurus here. You guys make doing this fun and save me a ton of $$ from the shop!

best,

Lou

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Lots of questions. I will look for sidemarkers later today.

i terms of the yellow light, sound like a ground issue. On those the tailights ground through the actual taillight fixture. Not always a good connection. IIRC i added another ground or two back there.

in terms of the horn, one part of the circuit at a time. First test the horns themselves - use a battery or even a battery charger to provide power. If they work, test the wire (purple) for continuity. Etc. etc. BTW I put a relay on the battery as well as the headlights.

Will get more answer a bit later.

nomad

Yoda
Those ice pick continuity tester lights are a necessity IMHO, as is a wiring diagram. That is till you have been around British wiring long enough to know the colors and circuit by heart. Horn's that have sat for a while sometimes need the adjustment screw tweeked a bit to get them to work. Purple wire should be hot and horn is grounded thru the horn button.

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
It is easy to chase your tail working on lights on a spridget. A helpful test is to take ALL of the bulbs out and verify that each socket is grounded. Trying to check grounds with the bulbs in will make you crazy because with no current, the bulb itself is basically a short.

OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
thanks guys!! You guys are the bomb!! I spent half the day replacing fuel pumps in a ferrari F430 that my buddy owns. He insisted we coudl do it so i said, it's your $300K car, I am not insured..let's do it! then replaced the potentiator (which lived behind the gas pedal buried in the footing. he stripped the socket for the screw so I set him up so it would work. he thinks I am a genius. I laugh and told him without the guys on BCF that I would be screwed!! let me tell you changing those fuels pumps is NO easy task! The access to them is so limited yuo got to get it dead or you are hosed! On top of that they are about 6" wide and are about 2' long...and they have to sit perfectly in each of the tanks. Long story short. we did it and I am now officially have had a Ferrari in my garage, worked on with my tools and succeeded. My kids think I am incredible to have a Ferrari coem by! lol

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
we better get pics before that Ferrari leaves!

OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
here's some pics...

Attachments

• fer1.jpg
    fer1.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 81
  • fer4.jpg
    fer4.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 83
  • fer7.jpg
    fer7.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 80

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
kit car :rolleyes::banana:

OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
hahaha...$238k kit car lol

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
The rear passenger yellow (aka blinker light) goes on when I turn on the headlights and the right green arrow signal light marker on the dash also goes on. The driver side does not...It must be somewhere in the trunk as I was working in there last night on the taillight last night. Maybe a short but I didn't touch the wires to that light if I remember properly.

That sounds suspiciously like the taillight and turn signal bulb wires got switched. Check the harness connectors in the trunk; it might be that one is connected backwards.

Are we still replacing the hoses to the heater box with dryer line aluminum hoses? I do not see any replacements for sale and someone said it is perfect. I was just worried about the engine setting the dang thing on fire..?

Dryer hose fits perfectly. (Use the metal collapsible hose, not the wire-wrapped plastic version.) You can get a six-foot length, cut it in half, and have a spare when the first one wears out! The metal hoses squeeze and bend around the radiator hoses down to the air intake just like it was made for the purpose. I've been using it for years -- the only issue I have is that the inside edge of my bonnet tends to saw a longitudinal slice in it over time. Hence the handy replacement. ;)

OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
thanks Bill but the yellow marker light and thre normal 'red" light go on at the same time only on passengers side as I though the same. I'll check further once i repair the ignition!

OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
lol..nice Bill:

Bill Thompson
''Nigel the Wee Beastie,'' '76 Midget 1500

...If your spridget doesn't leak, it's out of oil. <================================= HAHHAHA!

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
thanks Bill but the yellow marker light and thre normal 'red" light go on at the same time only on passengers side as I though the same. I'll check further once i repair the ignition!

Ah! If they both go on together, I'll throw in my hat with JP: sounds like a ground problem. The voltage from the brake light is bleeding over to the turn sig somewhere. Should be pretty easy to track down: just slap a continuity tester on each connector along the wire, and work your way frontwards!

OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
thanks guys! I am waiting on the new ignition wiring and the new keylock itself. Bracket insideis plastic and the thing cracked so bad that it just wouldn't stay shut. Since the car is a runner I figure $100 for new shiny ones is a good idea!