• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Oops one more, Cooling Question

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I took the rad off (my '76, 1500) and am going to have it boiled. The car has ben sitting for 12 years and all the coolant is gone. As I removed the hoses there is lots of dry crud. Some looks like rust and others just white scale. How do I get it out of the engine? And the heater? should I resinstall the rad to flush it first? help
Thanks
JP

George Zeck

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I am in process of the same type of fix. The bad news is that I am having the engine & tranny rebuilt. More out of both fix's are the same effort and desire to keep the car for the long haul.

What I would recommend BEFORE going to such extreme's is:

A) Remove Radiator / Cooling Fan & Water Pump.

B) If Water Pump is not too bad -- you're lucky.

C) If not; remove lower radiator hose and put a garden hose (maybe even a pressure washer inide and go to town. You'll get wet & greasy; but it beats rebuilding. Maybe even have a friend scrape around with a stiff piece of wire (more than a hanger).

D) Remove Thermostat & examing for "crud" -- mine was toast. This blockage would cause serious problems as well.

The problem probably will be your water jackets (inside of the cylinder head). If those are clogged (& you can only determine by removal of the cyl head) -- it will need to be "cooked" like you were thinking about the radiator.

If the engine needs "cooked" out like mine -- it's relatively easy IF that's all it is. But you probably
will have additional issues -- rusty cylinder's, desire to upg to unleaded gas, new clutch since all is apart ....

12 months ago I could not point to a cylinder head. Now I have (with help) removed and engine & tranny. It'll be a learning experience for you.

Hopefully you'll be luckier than I was on this. My body was imaculate (underside had no rust whatsoever) and needed a mechanical overhaul due to sitting unused for 18 yrs. I was willing to tackle and eager to learn these items. Ask yourself those questions.

Try the easy things before going to extremes.

Feel free to e-mail me if you have specific Q's. It's really a great & fun car to own. I'm sure you'l find it worthwhile -- it's just more than swapping a battery and changing the coolant as I thought when I began.

Good Luck --

Geo Zeck
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for the advice George, I think you're right, Mine too is in awesome shape body wise but hasn't run for 14 years. We emptied the old gas out this PM, you should see the bottom of the tank! I wasn't planning on pulling the engine but may do so now as everything else is pretty much off to be replaced (hoses etc.) and the clutch is seized. I could get the engine running and try to free it but it may be a lot easier just to pull it and replace it while it is easy. I've read a fair bit of your stuff and am very encouraged by your leading the way. thanks
JP