• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

oops

paul74

The engine is not back in the B yet-the cylinder walls could not be honed so the pistons will be plus one oversize?. Any way, while waiting I decided to do some other malntenance-like remove, drain, refill the front shocks. Car is jacked up, car jacks placed and front tires removed. I placed the floor jack under the spring pan, removed the cotter pin and nut and used a drift to knock the fulcrum pin out. All went smoothly til the last tap with the mallet. The car is so light without the engine that the last tap was a hard hit.The pin went flying , the swival axle dropped and the lever arm no longer lines up.

Any tips on how to get the swival axle back up to the lever arm?

On a more positive note, draining the shocks and refilling really made the lever arms stiffer.
Thanks, Paul

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Heh, have someone set on the fender of course.

Rent an Elephant? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif might take several someones. But take heart, it can be done.

mark

Tom Bedenbaugh

Jedi Hopeful
I have a 2x4 that I place in the engine compartment and under a roof joice for replacing a spring with the engine out. Someone setting on the fender want work unless they weigh over 300lbs.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It won't, tell my 118 lb wife that.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Jack - little difference in the pressure it takes to do a Bugeye's shock/springs & an MGB's!

Tom's method works great if you can get to a rafter in the ceiling....if not, don't waste your time renting spring compressors - none of them will fit.....however, you can get some of those ratcheting cloth come-alongs/tie downs & wrap them around the suspension to help jack it tigether....or put the floor jack under the spring pan & tie a chain around the shock & jack...as you jack up, the chain becomes tight & the jacking motion compresses the springs.

OP
P

paul74

We dont have any elephants here in Eureka but i do have ratcheting tie downs. The battle will start later this week.
Thanks guys.

Here's a sortof related question... Someone on this forum gave me a set of brand new MGB coil springs about a month ago... I appologize as I don't remember who... But thanks again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Are all MGB front springs the same, or are there different ones for different generations of MGB?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
different ones for different generations (& different ones for GT's & roadsters)....your original springs were the tallest.