• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Oops

Crusher

Freshman Member
Well, after getting the MGs engine running smoothly, the clutch stopped building up pressure. Got a kit for the slave cylinder, cleaned out the lines, and got a new clutch hose, and it was drivable. Put gas in it, drove it to Checker, back to school, and than home. When we got home, I pulled the key out, only to discover half of it was still in the ignition. So, now the piece that is stuck in the key cylinder won't let me turn the ignition, so we can't start the car since we can't turn the key to turn the fuel pump on.

It's a 1975 MGB. The car has a starter button. Any cheap and easy way to bypass the ignition for now, or should I just wait to get a new key cylinder? How hard is it to change the key cylinder?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]The car has a starter button.[/QUOTE]

DPO modification?

Your steering column is also locked - or will be when you turn the steering wheel a quarter turn either way!

Easiest thing to do is remove the cylinder & take it to a locksmith..he can pull the broken part & make you a new key.

OP
C

Crusher

Freshman Member
The original owner put the button in.

Steering column isn't locked, or at least, I don't think. Haven't turn it full circle, but from when I turned it, it didn't lock.

I'll probably tow it back to school and have them take it out. How hard is it to take out? I've taken my key cylinder out of my '91 Jeep Cherokee, and that wasn't too much of a problem. Is it the same process?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Cowl off the steering column, remove the 2 screws holding the lock to the column, let locksmith take cylinder out of lock.

You may have to take a Dremel tool & cut slots in the screws holding the ignition to the column as they have breakaway heads from the factory.

OP
C

Crusher

Freshman Member
Got the cowl off, but can't figure out how to get the cylinder off. But, on the plus side, I was able to take the connector off the back of the cylinder and was able to turn it to get the MG started.

The only thing I can see holding the cylinder to the column are these rivets:
cylinderrivets.jpg

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Those are the "screws" I was speaking of...using a Dremel tool, cut a screwdriver slot in each one & unscrew - ignition switch will drop off!

OP
C

Crusher

Freshman Member
tony barnhill said:
Those are the "screws" I was speaking of...using a Dremel tool, cut a screwdriver slot in each one & unscrew - ignition switch will drop off!

Ok. Sweet. Thanks!

Can I use them to put the cylinder back on afterwards?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Better to replace 'em. Allen head caps would be best.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Doc's probably right...I reuse them if I make a good screwdriver groove; if not, I just go to the local hardware store & buy a couple of allen head bolts with the same fine thread

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I heard of a way to take the broken piece of the key out of the ignition is to use some superglue on the end of a small wire. Put a drop of glue on the end of the wire (bend a small piece of the wire to a 90 degree angle. Put the glue on the small bend. Insert the wire with the glue end into the ignition until it meets the end of the broken key. Wait a minute or so for the glue to adhere to the broken key portion, then carefully pull the wire out. The broken end of the key should come out with the wire. I tried it once and it worked just fine.

LLAngus

Jedi Knight
Don't do that--the super glue will get on the tumblers and hold them so you can't put a key in and turn it. Stay away from super glue in that spot. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I didn't have the heart to say it, Bruce. Very "iffy" proceedure indeed.

69MGC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
You guys have no sense of adventure. Oh, yes you do, you own MGs? LOL

I didn't mean to soak the wire in superglue. Just a small dot worked for me. Non of the glue got into the tumblers.