• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Oil cooler hose adapters?

DanLewis

Jedi Trainee
I've been wanting to put an oil cooler in my Bugeye for some time and just stumbled into a great deal ($50) on a couple of new steel-braided oil cooler hoses. They're for an MGB, but I have been told that they should work on my 1275 Midget engine. The hoses are Moss part numbers 435-690 (26") and 435-710 (47") and are supposed to fit a 1955-61 MGA or a 1968-74 MGB.

Now I need two adapters: one to go between the long hose and the engine block and another to go between the short hose and the oil filter head. Moss doesn't list the adapters separately, but Victoria British lists part numbers 17-316 and 17-317 as the adapters for the Midget. Does anyone know if these are correct for the Moss hoses?

One more thing: Does anyone have a 13 row oil cooler in good condition that they'd like to sell? :smile-new:

Thanks!
Dan

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
As I remember I just went down to a aeroquip hydraulics supply house with the two OEM bolts and cooler for thread sizes etc. plus the approximate hose lengths...They matched the adapters necessary, the correct angled connectors for your setup and cut new hoses....bingo it was done... never use an old hose... uck... a million $ deal destroyed by a $1 part. If you must have steel braided lines then use a top notch speed shop store etc. or the referrals above.. Keep in mind that if your using a configuration that isn't standard then the piping etc. might not be a good fit for your deal.

OP
DanLewis

DanLewis

Jedi Trainee
In general it is not considered a good idea to buy/use a used oil cooler. You never know what dirt or engine bits may be trapped in side and break free later.

Thanks for the heads up.

Mini Mania is another source for the parts needed. The link below lists part numbers for several of the items.
https://www.minimania.com/part/MOC2/Oil-Hose-Coupler-Mini-Cooper

Thanks, but their prices seem to be about twice that of Victoria British.

As I remember I just went down to a aeroquip hydraulics supply house with the two OEM bolts and cooler for thread sizes etc. plus the approximate hose lengths...They matched the adapters necessary, the correct angled connectors for your setup and cut new hoses....bingo it was done... never use an old hose... uck... a million $ deal destroyed by a $1 part. If you must have steel braided lines then use a top notch speed shop store etc. or the referrals above.. Keep in mind that if your using a configuration that isn't standard then the piping etc. might not be a good fit for your deal.

Thanks, but I already have the hoses.

OH, get "quick connect" throughout...you can add or remove hoses at a twist of the wrench!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I'd be able to use the hoses I have since they already have connectors on both ends.

Dan

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
HUH, not sure of the ? Don't know the hose setup etc. My opinion, ANY non-virgin oil hose is "replaced" unless I know its bio... refer to the analogy above. The ready made hose setups are great revenue producers is all I will say.

OP
DanLewis

DanLewis

Jedi Trainee
HUH, not sure of the ? Don't know the hose setup etc. My opinion, ANY non-virgin oil hose is "replaced" unless I know its bio... refer to the analogy above. The ready made hose setups are great revenue producers is all I will say.

The hoses are brand new. 'Just need a cooler and the adapters to connect the hoses to the block and oil filter head. The question is which adapters?

Dan

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
How about your local Farm/tractor/implement supply store. Many of them will make up Hydraulic Hoses for the local farmers. Similiar type of fittings I believe. Now if you are in downtown San Francisco there may not be any of those type stores close by.

dklawson

Yoda
Thanks, but their prices seem to be about twice that of Victoria British.

Sorry, I should not have implied that you needed to buy from Mini Mania. I was only suggesting reviewing their list of part numbers.

Moss and VB use their own unique part numbering schemes. In general, Mini Mania and many of the other vendors use the original BMC part numbers where possible. You can therefore copy and paste those part numbers from the Mini Mania list into Google or Bing and find vendors with the best price on those parts.

OP
DanLewis

DanLewis

Jedi Trainee
Sorry, I should not have implied that you needed to buy from Mini Mania. I was only suggesting reviewing their list of part numbers.

Moss and VB use their own unique part numbering schemes. In general, Mini Mania and many of the other vendors use the original BMC part numbers where possible. You can therefore copy and paste those part numbers from the Mini Mania list into Google or Bing and find vendors with the best price on those parts.

Very good to know! Thanks!

Dan

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin