• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

new member saying Hi

KAllen

Morning all - joined last nite. Recommended by Brosky who has a wonderful site with lots of pics that really help seeing details. I have a 73 TR, today the muffler and rear pipes go and the I will pull the differential. Leaking pinion seal is bugging me. Neat site here - so 1st question heat in the cockpit passenger side. Thinking its the old muffler restricting flow and building extra heat - but seems its a common issue from others. What to do? I have put in insulation under carpet - but in SW florida sitting in traffic on a summer day - wife says TOO HOT! May need more insulation but in the engine bay on firewall? Thanks in advance.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Can't help you with your problem but do want to welcome you to the BCF. Lots of knowledge here with plenty of folks willing to help another LBC lover.

Tinkerman

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Welcome to the forum. I can't answer your question, but someone will come up with an answer I am sure. If you don't get a quick response, repost with the subject being descriptive of the model and problem, and you certainly will get the needed help.

Enjoy the Ride.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Welcome to the BCF. Home of the afflicted addicted!

SW Florida, huh? How "S"?

Firewall insulation helps. Some materials are better than others, too. ~Someplace~ here on the BCF is a thread relating to the various suppliers' products. ISTR it being in the MG forum, "Nunyas" as the original poster.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Hey - welcome to BCF! Altho' I've got a 3 and not a 6, one of the most helpful things here (beside the members!), is the Search feature.

You're right - there have been many many posts on "cockpit heat". Sealing up the firewall holes, putting heat insulation under the carpets, making sure the heater valve is off, etc., are some of the tried and true techniques. And in Florida you'll likely need all of those techniques to keep the passenger happy.

When you do a search, try searching (left column) *all* the car forums, not just Triumph, for hints on heat problems. Also, be sure to search over the last year, not the last month which is the default time period.

Again - we're here to help. Good to have you with us.

Tom
PS - here's a recent thread on insulation materials.

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/u...true#Post327831

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Another thing about this place is: you will find responses come fast. This ain't like most other forums... ask a question, check back in days for a reply. We've been known to give answers before the question is even asked. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Brandon here. We'll be annexing Tampa soon. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
K

KAllen

Hi Nutmeg

did that last nite - not the first time I searched the web for ideas - Thanks for suggestion! I am anxious to get a new muffler to see if the pressure issue - is an issue. Boy when I was rebuilding cars in high school - a forum like this would have been a god-send. Thanks for the welcome Tom!

OP
K

KAllen

Oh - I have bypassed the heater core - don't need em here. I came from minnesota so cold weather - and cold period, is a bad memory for me. I have the heater valve open to circulate the coolant.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
KAllen said:
Well if you get to the cape (about 150 miles south) swing by if you can Brandon -

Kim

Sorry for the ambiguity: Brandon, FL... a 'burb of TPA.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
KAllen said:
Oh - I have bypassed the heater core - don't need em here. I came from minnesota so cold weather - and cold period, is a bad memory for me. I have the heater valve open to circulate the coolant.

Not a 6 owner so I have to ask ... if your heater valve is open, is hot coolant circulating past the firewall and into the cockpit?

Tom

OP
K

KAllen

Hi Tom;

Nope - the bypass routes the coolant from the head to the block at the firewall side of the engine bay. The heater core is in the firewall on the cockpit side and is isolated - so no hot coolant gets to it.

OP
K

KAllen

oops - I have been to Brandon several times - do you like the alfa? I looked at those - I had a 71 mg midget in 1978 - fun car got rear ended by a 2 ton truck - wife got hurt - I wanted to kill the old fool driving it. Sold it for parts.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
OK - now for the "airleak" test. With the car in a dark garage (at night ...), put a bright light in the footwell, then stand in front of the car and look at the firewall. Any light coming through - there's a leak. Do the same in reverse, with light in the engine compartment, then sit in the driver's seat and look in the footwells for light.

Also check to see what lies under your carpets. On my floorpans there was a *lot* of rust, holes, and rotted jute padding - and el cheapo carpeting. Worst (hottest) part was the tunnel between the seats - with no insulation at all under that cheap carpet.

Tom

OP
K

KAllen

Hi Tom

I stripped it all out when I took the tranny out to do the clutch - it was solid. Good Idea on the lights. I am also experimenting with an aluminum shield around the exhaust pipes from the manifold. I got a 6 inch dryer vent pipe from HOMO (Home depot) and slit it length wise and folded it around the pipes under the passenger side seats. Too earlier to tell yet if it matters.

startech47

Jedi Knight
If the insulation is not enough, you could fabrication a sheet metal shield like you see on catalytic converters and fasten it to the muffler and/or other offending parts. A flat shield could also be attached below the floor if preferred. This works by blocking radiant heat and needs air space between the layers with free air flow.

T

Tinster

KAllen!

Welcome aboard; good place to be.

I live in Puerto Rico, tropical heat all year round like
you. The Mrs had the same complaint about her feet and
legs burning up.

I installed the aluminum clad heat insulator material
everywhere on her side of the car including the entire
tranny cover and up her foot side of the firewall. Then
I installed the Roadster Factory Wilton wool carpet with
underlayment. I also took the doors apart and insulated
the inside for sound and road heat. I installed new seat
rails and raised both seats an additional one inch off
the floor.

The Mrs. has no complaints now and I can see over the
steering wheel. My car was purchased with the heater
system removed. But sadly, all the ventilation hoses
removed as well.

Try the aluminum clad material, it's a winner.

welcome aboard,

Tinster

OP
K

KAllen

Wow Tinster - thanks for the info - I really like it when some one else experimented and had good results - Have a bit of work to do - just now got the muffler and mid pipes off - now its pull the differential - This forum is very good. I hope to give back as much!

Kim

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
I've used insulating wrap from Home Depot with good success. Super cheap and effective. it is a bit thicker than other materials, so check around to make sure it will fit.

b0da750d-94c0-4ad0-a537-d752b91710da_300.jpg