• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New member, 1st question

Tim66

Hello everyone.
Just joined and I'm looking forward to benefiting from the experience and knowledge of fellow LBC owners and aficionados. Thank you to those who have already welcomed me.

I have just taken possession of a 1972 MGB to keep me company in my retirement years. My wife says it is just like me, "In sad shape and needs a lot of TLC."

So my first question is: Is it worth it to have MGB bumpers repaired and re-chromed and if so can, anyone recommend a repair facility? There is only one in central Ohio and the price quoted was $500 for one bumper. To be honest, I don't think the guy knew what an MGB is. Thanks for any advice.

Tim

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
Go with repro bumpers. Save the old ones just in case you hit the lottery and want to build a $30,000 MGB. These cars normally do not sit outside after they are finished and the repro bumpers will work just fine. Wait for sales at Moss or Victoria British and give Tony @ the Autoist a try for a price quote. Its real easy to get upsidedown in these cars and its ok for that to happen. As long as you get to enjoy the driving experience when its done. Welcome to the fourm again and lets see some pics! Bob

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Welcome, Tim....before you jump off & end up with something you didn't expect....make a plan for what you want to use the car....then, restore/repair to fit tht plan.

Oh, & Bob's right: unless you're going for show car, buy new bumpers.

OP
T

Tim66

Well I thought I replied a couple of days ago but my post hasn't shown up. I had posted that I appreciated the quick responses and will go with new bumpers. Thanks. I also attempted to attach a picture of the rust bucket but that didn't fly either. Maybe the pic was too big. So, I'll post this and then try and post a picture

OP
T

Tim66

OK, here's the 1st picture. Since this picture the passenger's side has a new sill, rocker, etc., new front and rear fender installed. I also plan an engine and suspension rebuild. Of course Michelangelo had only planned to roll on a new coat of ceiling paint at the Sistine chapel.

[img:center]
211l5wi.jpg
[/img]

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Man, I'd love to see photos of it after all that work!

testaj

new bumpers will start pitting within a year, not to mention the cut on them is usually wrong and jagged on the edges-dont waste your money. Spend the extra and have them rechromed -show car or not.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
testaj said:
new bumpers will start pitting within a year, not to mention the cut on them is usually wrong and jagged on the edges-dont waste your money. Spend the extra and have them rechromed -show car or not.
Gotta disagree with you....since the ends have been redesigned, the ones Moss sells are correct shape....& I've not had pitting/rusting problems with any I have....plus, I've never seen any with jagged edges.

For a driver they're fine....for a show car I'd spend the extra money to rechrome OE bumpers.

testaj

tony barnhill said:
testaj said:
Gotta disagree with you....since the ends have been redesigned, the ones Moss sells are correct shape....& I've not had pitting/rusting problems with any I have....plus, I've never seen any with jagged edges.

For a driver they're fine....for a show car I'd spend the extra money to rechrome OE bumpers.

I am only stating my recent experiences with the Moss parts. Both new sets of bumpers on my A and B (which are garage kept and dont see water) are already starting to pit in less than a years time. The bumpers on the B are clearly cut different than the originals when put side by side, and the stamped center part on the A bumpers is a joke. If Moss is selling better quality stuff(which I highly doubt) it must be very recent. Again if you have had a different experience with them, great, I am just stating what my current experience is. My originals are out at the chrome platers as we speak. I cant wait until they come back so I can take this aftermarket junk off my cars and throw it in the trash where it belongs.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yep, bumpers have been completely retooled & I've not had any problems or concerns with mine - nor have I heard of any problems with any I've sold.

Could your problem have anything to do with location? They do use salt on the roads up there, don't they?

OP
T

Tim66

I'll get more pictures when I get the car in my garage. Going to put the XK8 in storage then I'll have room for the MG. It's in a friends barn right now. The PO did the sill and fender work and also disassembled the car. I'm cleaning/repairing the small parts, glass and chrome until I can work on the car itself. Thus the question about the bumpers.

Tim

testaj

tony barnhill said:
Could your problem have anything to do with location? They do use salt on the roads up there, don't they?

The cars sit in a climate controlled garage with dehumidifier and are never driven on salty roads in the winter time. Only poor manufacturing and cheap chrome, not climate, has created a problem on the bumpers.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
These are Moss bumpers and their 4 years old. Their perfect enough that this car won fist place in the last two shows.
confused0031.gif

MGB72CUT.jpg

035.jpg

testaj

PAUL161 said:
These are Moss bumpers and their 4 years old. Their perfect enough that this car won fist place in the last two shows.

Congratulations on the trophy, I am glad you had a good experience with the bumpers, however I have not had the same experience.

mk2sprite

Jedi Hopeful
Tony, speaking of this what did Moss do with all the "other" not retooled bumpeers? how does one tell if what the send is the newer ones?
Mike

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Mike - can't answer that except I can see the difference....but, for a daily driver why does it matter?

testaj

tony barnhill said:
Mike - can't answer that except I can see the difference....but, for a daily driver why does it matter?

So what you are saying is that daily drivers aren't worth quality parts, only show cars? Why put an inferior part on a car, no matter what the condition. If moss retooled, as you say, great-but they will never get me to buy any of their chrome parts again.

GeeBee1

Jedi Knight
:iagree:

never ever ever again, not vendor bashing, but I got ripped a ___________ on chrome wire wheels...

Pat

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
testaj said:
tony barnhill said:

So what you are saying is that daily drivers aren't worth quality parts, only show cars? Why put an inferior part on a car, no matter what the condition. If moss retooled, as you say, great-but they will never get me to buy any of their chrome parts again.

No what I'm saying is that 99.9% of the MG owners have no clue that the ends of the bumpers were off; nor would they know the bumpers were reworked to match the originals.

What I'm also saying is that daily drivers - not trailer queens - get used.....& trailer queens aren't really "cars", they're idols!

Plus, the folks who judge cars at shows - owners - are the same ones who don't know the difference....& most are like me & don't vote for trailer queens.