• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A My TR3 -- It Lives!

Hatman

The TR3 started up this weekend. It hasn’t been started for a couple of years, and after removing the tank, rigging up a motorcycle tank as a temporary fuel tank, charging the battery, cleaning the pump bowl, and priming the pump, she fired right up! I’m constantly amazed at how this car continues to run with almost no maintenance.

A bit of background: I bought this car in Sept. of 1985, shortly after graduating from college. I bought it from a doctor in Webster City, Iowa, for $2,000. It was British Racing Green with a black interior. It looked good if you didn’t look *real* close, it ran well, and it was only a half-hour from my house. It’s a 1959 TR3 pre-60001.

I drove the car a bunch the first couple of years. With my career taking me to different cities and different states, however, the car spent a lot of time in storage over the past 23 years. Still, it never took more than a battery charge and fresh gas to get it going each time.

Over the past few years, I stopped driving the car. We’re on our third old house (this one is a 1911 Foursquare), which means a lot of my time and resources goes into renovating our home. I also started racing motorcycles about 12 years ago, which also eats up a bunch of time and money. So, the TR3 sat in carriage house under its cover, usually with various boxes of motorcycle stuff sat on top of it. Out of sight, out of mind.

The planets aligned earlier this year when I finally finished up our kitchen additional/renovation, and I found a friend had a three-car garage for rent just a block from my house. Now, instead of the Triumph being packed into the carriage house surrounded by motorcycles, it’s in a roomy garage with plenty of room to work.

With racing over in October, I spent a couple of months wiring the garage for electric and lights. Kerosene heater gets the temp up to about 25 degrees over outside temps, which isn’t exactly toasty, but workable.

So the winter plans for the car are to overhaul the brake/clutch hydraulic system, clean the fuel tank and have a pinhole welded up, install new fuel lines, possibly get the carbs rebuilt, tackle the front end (already have the TRF Magic Kit), and rebuild the rear shocks (already sent out to Peter at World Wide). The original fan has a broken blade, so I’ll probably replace with a plastic fan, and have the radiator boiled while it’s out.

The car’s not mint – it’s had a total respray at some point (changed from pale yellow to BRG), there’s some bondo in it (the rear fender beads have been filled in), but the paint looks good, and the rust, despite Neal Young’s assertion, actually does seem to at rest). The floors are sound. It’s looked the same since I’ve owned it, so I can’t complain.

While someday I may do a complete restoration on the car, for now the goal is just to renovate the mechanicals over the winter and enjoy driving the car next year when the weather turns warm.

So look for more questions from me over the winter. So far the advice has been helpful and very much appreciated!

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hatman,
Good story and background. Good luck with the 'freshening'.
How have the engine/tranny/dif seals weathered the big sleep?
Post a pic of the car and some of your work.

OP
H

Hatman

All of my pics of the car are from the "pre-digital" days (remember those?) so I'll have to dig up some snapshots and scan them.

I will post some pics of the work as I go.

Thanks.

OP
H

Hatman

prb51 said:
Hatman,
Good story and background. Good luck with the 'freshening'.
How have the engine/tranny/dif seals weathered the big sleep?
Post a pic of the car and some of your work.

The underside of the car is pretty oily, but I think that's what's kept the tinworm away. ;-)

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Great story Hatman, as others have said keep us up with the progress and post pictures. As perhaps you know this a great forum for info, help, pats on the back and kicks in the boot to keep the project moving.

Good luck, Tinkerman

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The Factory designed oil bath feature does have its advantages...too bad they didn't direct some of the spray to the lower inner panels.

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
Hatman,
It sounds as though you have a great car there. One that you will be able to use and enjoy without the worry of it getting chipped or scratched. For me a car like that is so much better than a shiny concourse one with the soul restored out of it.
Look forward to seeing pictures and hearing about your progress.
Nick

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hatman said:
So the winter plans for the car are to overhaul the brake/clutch hydraulic system, clean the fuel tank and have a pinhole welded up, install new fuel lines, possibly get the carbs rebuilt, tackle the front end (already have the TRF Magic Kit), and rebuild the rear shocks (already sent out to Peter at World Wide). The original fan has a broken blade, so I’ll probably replace with a plastic fan, and have the radiator boiled while it’s out.

Nice story... I brought my '59 back to life 4 years ago, and did all the things you have in store. It encouraged me to tackle a TR6; it took longer, but now it's a runner as well. If there's a Gas Tank Renu franchise near you, they do good work. I couldn't find any radiator repair place to do gas tank work.

The one thing I wish I did do was have the distributor looked at; although it seems to work fine, it probably has never been looked at. When you pull the radiator, you'll have to remove the front apron. Not <span style="font-style: italic">too</span> bad, as long as all the nuts/bolts cooperate. Pulling the apron allows great access to your front end, motor mounts, steering box, etc. The yellow TR6 fan and installation kit that TRF sells works fine. Also a good time to R&R your generator and starter, replace all the hoses, intake/exhaust manifold gaskets, etc. I really recommend using a digital camera to take pix as you go along; the camera's memory is a lot better than mine.

Bringing it back to life and improving it's reliability can be a fun and rewarding time, enjoy!