• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

muffler advice?

recordsj

Jedi Warrior
1500 mg midget, 9:1 compression

any advice and/or suggestions for replacement muffler?

my muffler has two parts? one muffler that sits inside fo the driver rear wheel and a short 90deg bend of pipe and another section that is round and larger than the tail pipe diameter (another muffler??), then the exhuast pipe tip to the outside world. Is this setup two mufflers or is the second one a resonator?

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I got Bugsy's Muffler for FREE from local Harley shop. It was in their throw away pile. First thing to go on a new bike. The one you want to Bullet Shaped with a tapered tip. Will fit right in place of a stock muffler. Kelly supplied the tips on pulling in apart. I did nothing that elaborate. Center Baffle had already been punched out.A couple of adapters I tack welded to get input to 1.75". Used a hanger strap to get to approximately same size along with a giant U-Bolt to hang it from and Bob's your uncle. Search this site for Harley Muffler and you'll find Pics and lots of ideas.

G

I spent 10 years customizing Harleys and threw away countless mufflers. Now I have to go look for one.

I worked at a HD dealer and used to remove or gut them all the time. Luckily my neighbor gave me his old ones. The late model stuff has cats in them. See if you can get something from the 90's.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
muffler 002 - Harley resized.jpgMuffler 006 Resized.jpgThis is the one Kelly and I both used.

OP
R

recordsj

Jedi Warrior
does anyone have comments on non-Harley mufflers?
I am not looking for a lot of noise, but don't want to dampen performance a lot.

OP
R

recordsj

Jedi Warrior
See the immage below, this is my exhaust setup.
So the resonator is the one by the rear tire?
The the larger diameter section (sitting below the license plate) right before the tailpipe tip is the muffler?
Any idea what kind of muffler this is (it is 3" in dia and about 18" long)?

Trying to figure out what I have before I work on replacing it and possibly reconfiguring it.

IMG_2234.jpg

G

Doesn't look stock. The stock system had a smaller dia pipe w/ a round res first, then the muffler. Basically it was opposite of what you have.

That looks like around a 2" pipe. I'd try to cut the round thing off and just run a tip straight back right off of the muffler you have now. That is if you don't have any holes in the one you have now. You don't need both of those.

OP
R

recordsj

Jedi Warrior
Doesn't look stock. The stock system had a smaller dia pipe w/ a round res first, then the muffler. Basically it was opposite of what you have.

That looks like around a 2" pipe.

The exhaust pipe is 2" dimeter, the section right under the license plate is 3" diameter.

G

The section under the plate is either a glass pack muffler or a resonator. My guess is a glass pack. What size pipe do you have from the engine?

OP
R

recordsj

Jedi Warrior
The section under the plate is either a glass pack muffler or a resonator. My guess is a glass pack. What size pipe do you have from the engine?

2" exhaust pipe from the engine.

For a 1500 engine with 9:1 compression what diameter exhaust pipe is standard?

G

Yep but that's on a 1 1/2" factory pipe. If you have a 2" pipe I wouldn't run a Harley muffler without yet another series of modifications. If you have a 2" pipe with a stock intake and carb you have more exhaust than you do intake. In that case I'd drop back down to 1 1/2" pipe w/ the Harley muffler and baffle mod. I have a 7.5 comp 1500 drawing through a single 40DCOE up front and blowin' it out a punched and modded Harley muffler. It's a straight through muffler with minimal noise. My system is about as free flow as you can get on the street w/ a stock pipe. Folks can't believe it's a straight through muffler when they hear it.

G

Yep but that's on a 1 1/2" factory pipe. If you have a 2" pipe I wouldn't run a Harley muffler without yet another series of modifications. If you have a 2" pipe with a stock intake and carb you have more exhaust than you do intake. In that case I'd drop back down to 1 1/2" pipe w/ the Harley muffler and baffle mod. I have a 7.5 comp 1500 drawing through a single 40DCOE up front and blowin' it out a punched and modded Harley muffler. It's a straight through muffler with minimal noise. My system is about as free flow as you can get on the street w/ a stock pipe. Folks can't believe it's a straight through muffler when they hear it.

That being said, that's if you want a cruiser with max low end torque and milage but free flow as possible when you get on it. If you plan on a carb swap and want max top end power you may want to stay 2" but you'll probably need cam and head work to make full use of it.

What carb to you have and what are your plans for this car?