• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Monza Muffler

smokenbutch

Freshman Member
Hi All, I am looking into getting the dual tip monza muffler for my 76 Midget, Does anybody have one on their car and if so how do you like it ? Is it to loud or does it have a nice sound to it? I don't want something to loud.
Thanks for your input

Welcome to the Spridget forum!
Monza muffler and the pacesetter header belong in the same circular file.IMHO

Better bang for the effort is fitting a Harley muffler. Take offs can be found for a lot less than the cost of a monza. Sound better and will most likely last a lot longer.

m

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I have a monza and the sound was about right with it. You could hear a little buzz but nothing too loud, a little more buzz when getting on it. My monza is the older can type and it broke at a weld. I have not fixed it yet and ran a straight pipe for a few days and it was extremely loud. Found a harley slip on but it has a wierd kind of ring to the exhaust sound. I will most likely get my monza welded back up and put on in the spring. Top down a little buzz, top up quiet and you can hear the radio.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I too went with a Harley Freebie that I picked up from the Harley dealer that was going to be thrown out. There are many variations of Harley mufflers, the bullet shaped type shown below has some great resonance. I tried one that was a straight, non tapered muffler with about a 3 1/2" tip on the muffler and Bugsy sounded just like a Rice Rocket. With a couple of adapters to get to the right pipe size this one worked for me. Total investment maybe $20.00. Another alternative Advanced Auto shows a twin tipped pipe on their web site with a resonator built in that runs maybe $35-40 in close to the correct sized pipe.

Attachments

• 19388.jpg
    19388.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 209

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Another picture

Attachments

• 19389.jpg
    19389.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 210

RickB

Yoda
I have the Monza quad tip on my Midget.
It produces a low grumbling sound that I find pleasing.
The chrome isn't the best quality.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Here's an older thread
on the topic.
I still have the Harley one if you want it for shipping. I'll probably never get around to fitting it. My Monza is pretty loud. I like it but it makes noise. They can hear me coming, I'm alright with that.

G

jvandyke said:
Here's an older thread
on the topic.
I still have the Harley one if you want it for shipping. I'll probably never get around to fitting it. My Monza is pretty loud. I like it but it makes noise. They can hear me coming, I'm alright with that.

I might take it if he doesn't want it.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
Mine was off a 1340cc FLH something or other and its just too quiet and has a sort of ringing noise. Somebody here said they knew how to open it up a bit. I don't want it hollowed but maybe a hole somewhere. I still like the Monza though I would not buy one for the price they want and the newer ones are smaller more like an old Cherry bomb type and mine is the can type about 5" around. This is a picture of it, I found. You can's see the twin chrome tips but they are just to the left.
007-2.jpg

G

regularman said:
Mine was off a 1340cc FLH something or other and its just too quiet and has a sort of ringing noise. Somebody here said they knew how to open it up a bit. .
007-2.jpg

Yeah, we used a 1 1/2 or 2" hole saw to get the baffles out when I worked at a Harley dealer. I don't remember which size.

G

might be able to drill some holes in the inner part, but can't say what it'll sound like. Cut the baffle out, modify and then weld it back in. Shouldn't be too hard if you can get to a welding machine.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
kellysguy said:
might be able to drill some holes in the inner part, but can't say what it'll sound like. Cut the baffle out, modify and then weld it back in. Shouldn't be too hard if you can get to a welding machine.
I got both mufflers so I can play with one. I like that idea. I got a flux core wire welder in the garage that is excellent for welding exhaust pipe. I like it better than gas for thin pipe(used rusty etc.). I was just in MS week before last. What part are you in?

G

south/ gulf coast area (actually about 45 miles north of the gulf coast. All you gotta do is shove a hole saw in the back of it and start cutting. Once you get all the way through, the whole baffle assembly will slide right out.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
kellysguy said:
south/ gulf coast area (actually about 45 miles north of the gulf coast. All you gotta do is shove a hole saw in the back of it and start cutting. Once you get all the way through, the whole baffle assembly will slide right out.
Ah, I was way up in the north area near Corinth if you know where that is. I got a hole saw and will try this when I get time. Been playing with the toys too much and the wife wants me to start on her list. Plus I got another motorcycle to put back together that I took apart and worked on last winter. I just put in for a new job at work and that one may require me to travel more often if I get it. I might get to meet more of you BCF spridget folks and see where you work your magic :wink: