• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

One or two muffler configuration on a 1275?

DanLewis

Jedi Trainee
I must be getting too old to put up with a loud exhaust. :smile: I've tried three different mufflers in the last month, and all three are just too loud for my taste. All three were glasspacks. One was on the car when I bought it (too loud), the second was a Pacesetter Monza sport muffler (WAY WAY too loud), and the third was a long thin glasspack suggested by a muffler shop (a bit quieter than the Pacesetter, but still way too loud).

I have a lightly (?) modified 1275 in my Bugeye. I've decided that what I really need is a stock muffler. I realize that I'll be trading sound level versus back pressure, so I was wondering which of the two stock muffler systems that have been used on 1275 sprites and midgets would be best. Moss sells two - one is a single muffler (Moss #444-260, #12 in the image below) used up until Sept 1963; the other (Moss #444-270, #13 in the image) has two mufflers (or maybe one of them is a resonator). (Muffler #11 in the image is for a 948.) I think I could find a way to mount either one since there's plenty of room behind the gas tank for the second muffler.

SPM-014.gif
Do any of you know which is the quietest and which has the least back pressure?

Thanks!
Dan

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Any of the singles will still be pretty loud. If you've never heard the double (#13), they are pretty quiet. I have a brand new, never used one if you're interested. I have a Morris Minor pickup with a 1275, and with the small non-insulated cab, I had to use two muffler and a resonator to get it to a level I like.

Country flag
I have a single stainless steel flacon unit on my Midget and it seems pretty quite compared to the single "free flow" on my sprite.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If you want to go cheap, try the local Harley shop and get a cast off, new, free, stock Harley one.

OP
DanLewis

DanLewis

Jedi Trainee
Any of the singles will still be pretty loud. If you've never heard the double (#13), they are pretty quiet. I have a brand new, never used one if you're interested. I have a Morris Minor pickup with a 1275, and with the small non-insulated cab, I had to use two muffler and a resonator to get it to a level I like.
Hi Gerard,

I'm very interested in your offer. Do you agree that the double should fit within the space available on a Bugeye? BTW, I'm not that far from you, which makes your offer that much more attractive! :smile:

I have a single stainless steel flacon unit on my Midget and it seems pretty quite compared to the single "free flow" on my sprite.
Thanks, Trevor. Do you happen to know if the "free flow" is the same as the single sold by Moss?

If you want to go cheap, try the local Harley shop and get a cast off, new, free, stock Harley one.
Hi Bill. Thanks, but I've heard the Harley on a Sprite and it's louder than what I'm looking for.

Dan

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
Dan,
The stock silencer (#12) is substantially quieter than the 3 things you've already tried, especially on deceleration. Thats what I use after trying all the same stuff you mentioned. Assertive without being loud. IMO YMMV etc.

OP
DanLewis

DanLewis

Jedi Trainee
Hi Steve,

The stock silencer (#12) is substantially quieter than the 3 things you've already tried, especially on deceleration. Thats what I use after trying all the same stuff you mentioned. Assertive without being loud. IMO YMMV etc.

Now I'm a bit conflicted - wondering if the single might be quiet enough. :smile: It certainly would be easier to mount than the double. Is there any chance you could post a youtube video so I could hear what it sounds like?

Dan

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
Post of video....Yes, in June when the thaw comes :smile:

Here's how I think about loudness: If it's -about- the same level as the wind/road noise when you're driving normally, obeying speed laws etc. conversation with passenger is doable...It's quiet enough.

That's all true with the single stock 1275 silencer plus the idle still sounds beefy and you don't get that glasspack bark/drone when you back off, it's just right.

As you point out, it also happens to be the path of least resistance.

OP
DanLewis

DanLewis

Jedi Trainee
Hi Steve,

Post of video....Yes, in June when the thaw comes :smile:

I used to live in upstate NY for six years, so I can totally sympathize about waiting for the thaw. The one thing I always hated the most was driving in snow and ice, although I had friends that thought it was fun. I'll think about you today - it's supposed to be sunny and 78 this afternoon here in San Jose. :smile:

Dan

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
Hi Steve,

I used to live in upstate NY for six years, so I can totally sympathize about waiting for the thaw. The one thing I always hated the most was driving in snow and ice, although I had friends that thought it was fun. I'll think about you today - it's supposed to be sunny and 78 this afternoon here in San Jose. :smile:

Dan
78? :cryin: Here it's 40 with 30-40mph NW wind gusts. Which adds up to BRRRR. The Sprite is in the garage, and I don't plan on taking the plastic off the garage door until mid May. Besides, the amount of sand still on the roads and the size of the frost heaves makes driving less than fun. Soon....

Should also add that my car is a modified 1275.

Country flag
Good point a high compression engine is going to make a bit more noise than stock. My bugeye has an 1.75" dynomax free flow muffler. It is a bit loud, but quieter than those monza mufflers and glasspacks. The SS exhaust is much quieter than the dynomax, but certainly more restrictive.

nomad

Yoda
A couple of tricks that will quiet things a bit without a lot of hassle or cost.
1. angle the exhaust tip down
2. cut it at 45 degrees.
You would not expect much from that but it makes a difference and may be just enough.

Kurt.

OP
DanLewis

DanLewis

Jedi Trainee
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the additional information, but I've already invested $425 on the last two mufflers and installation, so at this point I don't want to "experiment" anymore. I'll go stock to get the quiet sound level I'm after - the only question is whether to use the single stock muffler, or go with the double muffler arrangement used on the later cars.

Dan

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
Dan,
I'd guess you can make some of your money back by putting your unwanted mufflers up for sale here. Just a thought. I don't think I've ever seen a Bugeye with the later 2 muffler set-up.

OP
DanLewis

DanLewis

Jedi Trainee
Steve,

I'd guess you can make some of your money back by putting your unwanted mufflers up for sale here. Just a thought. I don't think I've ever seen a Bugeye with the later 2 muffler set-up.

Good idea, but the muffler shop that did the first change to the Pacesetter kept the old glasspack. Then when I went back to have them remove the Pacesetter and install a larger glasspack, they had to cut the Pacesetter out because it had been welded in. They were able to salvage the dual exhaust tip and weld it onto the new glasspack, but the dang thing is still too loud. Can you tell I'm getting a little frustrated? :smile:

Dan