• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Monza Exhaust Performance with Stock Headers?

jmayled

Freshman Member
Hello All,

My TR6 is in need of an exhaust and so I purchased a Monza Free flow exhaust system hoping that I may be able to squeeze a few more HP out of the car.

If I do not replace the stock Exhaust headers with performance headers, can I still expect to see a performance gain?

G

You probably won't gain much in the way of extra horsepower but you will certainly SOUND like you did. That's the fun of Monza's. Be prepared to change them in about a year. There are some good threads concerning exhausts lurking in past posts. Check'em out. Have fun....

Bill

35thbdaytr6

I noticed increased throttle response, and the car seemed to rev better above 4000 rpm with a Monza compaired to stock. It was very loud, I only ran it up the street and back before replacing it with a Bell stainless OE style system.

Webb Sledge

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
Be prepared to change them in about a year. There are some good threads concerning exhausts lurking in past posts. Check'em out. Have fun....

Bill

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. The guy I work for had a TR6 for 7 years with a Monza exhaust the whole time, and it never rusted. He drove it everyday, too, snow, rain, sleet, or shine.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
I'm sure that's true.

Any exhaust will last longer on a daily driver than on a car that's stored most of the time and only rarely driven.

The daily driver's exhaust system is heated and dried out on a very regular basis, giving rust less chance to get a foothold and do its thing.

The once-in-every-great-while/sunny-days-only driver's exhaust system has to contend with condensation and humidity trapped inside, where it has all the time it needs to establish a rust farm and eat it's way through to the outside.

A more expensive stainless steel system might be best on the occasionally driven car, while it might be a waste of money on a daily driver.

The main complaint I have about Monza exhaust is that they can be quite loud on certain cars. It might be fun occasionally to scare neighborhood dogs and set off car alarms up and down the street. But if you spend 4 hours on the highway, don't plan to listen to the stereo and be prepared for some ringing in your ears when you stop for gas.

There's some variation in loudness, depending upon model. Most TR6 have daul exhaust with twin mufflers, that might be less obnoxious than the single pipe systems on other cars.

Try to listen to an example, if you can, before making a decision.

Cheers!

Webb Sledge

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
Any exhaust will last longer on a daily driver than on a car that's stored most of the time and only rarely driven.
The daily driver's exhaust system is heated and dried out on a very regular basis, giving rust less chance to get a foothold and do its thing.
The once-in-every-great-while/sunny-days-only driver's exhaust system has to contend with condensation and humidity trapped inside, where it has all the time it needs to establish a rust farm and eat it's way through to the outside.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call Alan. I'd never thought of that before.

G

Ah, the Monza system. You know, I had cherry bomb glass packs on my 72 Nova SS with a small block V8 and I think my TR6 with the Monza system is louder. Granted, 3500rpm and north it sounds fabulous, but on long highway rides and in the early morning when I'm trying not to wake the neighborhood it gets old quick. I bought my car with this system and a nice chromed header already on it, so I can't say if it faster than stock, as I have nothing to compare it to. I can tell you this though, the noise, the ridiculus quad tips, and the quick rusting mild steel mufflers have all driven me to buy a stainless exhaust ASAP. I was going to go with something like the Triumphtune sport setup, but I've not decided yet on that or a custom setup of my own design using mini Borla mufflers and a large diameter single pipe, which will split and reduce to fit through the cruciform. The mufflers would be hung about the same location as the Monza mufflers are now, and this will all be in stainless of course.

OP
jmayled

jmayled

Freshman Member
Thank you all for your feedback. I'll install the monza system on a trial basis and based on your feedback will probably opt for a stainless steel exhaust sometime in the near future! Thanks again.

G

I just today received my Falcon stainless headers in from TRF. Long wait! Goodbye Monzas! Back to all stainless Falcon sport system.

Bill

Webb Sledge

Jedi Warrior
The only real thing I have against the stainless sytem is that I'd like it to be just a little bit more "performancie" and the look. If it was a true dual and had 4 tips, it's be fantastic!

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I opted for a stainless exhaust over the monza on my 1500 spit. It works, great very little back pressure, and cost tons less. I think I have $45 wrapped up in the 2" stainless pipe and the 12" glass pack.

G

My Falcon stainless headers are true duals, two separate headers, 1-2-3 and 4-5-6, each dumping into it's separate two inch stainless pipe, ending in one large stainless muffler. Check out www.bmcno.org and look under 2004 show, pics by K. Vezina, #1010073 for a look at the custom tips on my Falcon system (excuse the bumper, haven't sent to the chrome shop yet). I am remounting everything with the new headers. Two inch true duals with staight thru mufflers definately increase HP. The Monzas are 1 3/4" with more restrictions.

Bill

OP
jmayled

jmayled

Freshman Member
Update on the Monza Exhaust System with the Pace Setter headers. The Pace Setter headers were very poorly made to the extent that it took almost a day of grinding for these to sit flush against the engine! In addition to this, the Monza Exhaust 'system' was manufactured with the same diameter pipe as the headpipe! (According to Pace Setter, these 2 components were not designed together and some fabrication is required!!) Anyway for those of you that advised me against these exhaust pipes I apologize. A lesson learned the hard way!