• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Monza exhaust - all that and a bag of chips?

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
I have them on my GT6 and you can hear my son coming from 3 blocks away. I wish I had stock do to the noise. It makes it kind of loud inside the car. You get enough noise with wind and road noise why add the exhaust noise as well. If you want everyone to hear you coming then go for it. But if you want your wife to ride with you then my guess is she will not like it.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
From what I have heard ,people who have had them and switched, are very happy they did.

V

vagt6

Had them on my GT6 from the PO and they were new when I bought the car.

Monza system = VERY loud, in fact so loud that it was hard to hear normal conversation at highway speeed (forced me to wear foam ear plugs on trips). And remember, the stock GT6 exhaust system is relatively quiet, in fact it's practically silent compared to the Monza system. :yesnod:

Also, RUST. Mine rusted within a year. The Monza attracted rust like a magnet. In all deference, tho', it's fairly humid here in the summer. YMMV regarding the rust.

IMHO, it's a cheap, loud system. Go with stainless steel from a reputable vendor like SpitBits (Falcon, etc.), you'll be glad you did.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Too loud for me. I have headers with Falcon SS stock system made in England. Just right for cruising and plenty of the right noise when you get on it.

TR4A_IRS

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Just to be different, I still have them on my 4A. However, they were so loud that I could set off car alarms. That was cool when I was in my 20s. When I turned 30 I added a mid-pipe silencer. Now that I am approaching 40, I am looking to replace the entire system with something closer to original.

I will miss the quad exhaust pipes, though, as they look pretty cool.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
kinda like the ripping sound...
:driving:

I had them on my GT6

I have them on my TR6

Im gunna switch them before the end of the summer
(Getting tired of LOUD!)
& I dont like what they do to my chrome bumper
Gunna switch to SS with a nice quiet muffler.......i must be getting old

tr632206004.jpg

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
Love the quad pipes out the back, don't like the headache after an hour's drive.

I hope to find a nice quiet muffler to stuff in the middle.

Mine has not rusted, because the leak out of the diff and trans keep it from seeing any air.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Hmm... I LIKE 'em. 'sides: we drive SMALL cars, not easily seen by the rank-and-file. It's just one more ~safety feature~ IMO.

Brash, loud and blatant. And NOTHING like those raucous bean-can RiceRocket ones. :wink: :smirk:

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
You mean the double cheese burrito fart sounds that go whizzing by you as a guy with a BIG muffler hanging low on a Honda Civic wagon with an automatic, weaving in and out of traffic, tries to make it sound like a stick shift?

D

DougF

I liked the sound of them when they were on my old 6. My problem with them was the durability. They rusted out after a few years of use.
I also have the Falcon SS Sport system with a header which makes all the right sounds.

rooster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I had them on my six, a left over from the previous owner. They were fun at first but I got tired of setting off car alarms wherever I went. The noise was also quite tiresome on longer drives.

If you like the look of the system but don't like the noise you can do what I did, replace the glass packs with regular mufflers and retain the rest of the system. It's much quieter but still looks good. :cooler:

hondo402000

Darth Vader
I had the same problem, the fix, go to pep boys go to the muffler section pick up a cherry bomb muffler cut out about 3 foot of exhaust pipe under passinger seat install cherry bomb muffler, also get some of that muffler wrap which is fiberglass and wrap muffler to keep heat down, it tones down the noise by at least half I was happy as a lark when I got done

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
"Brash, loud and blatant. And NOTHING like those raucous bean-can RiceRocket ones."

Bumble bee in a beer can.

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I had an Ansa system on my 6 back in the early 80s and loved the sound. They rusted out in two years. Ran the stock system for many years after that and loved the sound of those. Then I put the Monza system on the car around 2000 and took it off after one 300 mile drive. I could not handle the noise. The car now has a Stebro system on it and it sounds just great. A bit raspy when taking off but just right at highway speed.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Stebro.....a really classic sound, if you can find them for under $1,200.