• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Mirror Placement

Newkie

Jedi Trainee
Hey everyone.

Whats your thought on putting the mirrors on the fenders rather than the original placement on the doors.
Its a 73' roadster.
I like the look of the fender placement on the older B's, and saw that some of the suppliers offer mirrors for my yr and others for the fender placement. My car is being painted this summer, and now would be the time to cover up the original holes, and make new ones if I go that route. As always, thanks again /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thankyousign.gif

Newkie

Steve_S

Yoda
It's a personal choice, really. The early cars didn't come with mirrors at all, so placement was at the discretion of the dealer and/or the owner of the car.

Most fender mirrors are placed directly over the front spindles. Smaller mirrors are sometimes moved back towards the windshield. Late 60's cars often had the driver's mirror on the door or far back on the front wing and the passenger-side mirror over the front spindle.

The larger the mirror, the farther out it should go for maximum coverage. Original early Lucas round mirrors were fantastic way out over the front wheels. They completely eliminate blind spots. Sadly, modern reproductions are much smaller and don't work nearly as well that far out.

Here are a couple photos to help your decision along...

Reproduction Lucas-style mirrors
mgb2.jpg

Original Tex square mirrors
DSCN2138_doc.jpg

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I may have a couple of new fender mirrors on the shelf.

OP
Newkie

Newkie

Jedi Trainee
Thanks, you can sell them to these guys if you want. I won't be ready for them until July/August.
I do like the round ones on the black MGB thats pictured above. I am pretty sure I am going with that look after a couple of the posts, and seeing some more pictures.

Newkie

P.S. If these guys dont take the mirrors off your hands, then I will be glad too.

19_again

Jedi Warrior
Tony, which are they? I know you're leaving tomorrow, you'll just to have to climb up there in the hayloft before you go and let Steve and I know what you have.
Mike

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Aloha Newkie,

Before you drill mounting holes in the fenders, get a helper to hold the passenger side mirror where you may want to mount it. Some times things like the rear view mirror, wiper blades, etc will block the view. On my TR3, I have to move my head forward to use that mirror because the rear view blocks it.

1965_MGB

Jedi Warrior
I am a big fan of the fender mount mirror. When I was stationed in Japan, my Toyota had fender mounts, and I couldn't believe how much better they are at removing blind spots. I think when the time comes, there will be a couple of mirrors out mid wing.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I went to some trouble to rid Herself's B of the wing mirror holes. One mirror now, a Walpres "bullet" type, door mounted. <shrug>

ronzi

My '64 B has two Lucas round fender mirrors. They give the car a classic look, but DaveB. is right,they are forever getting knocked out of alignment, particularly in the garage.
The BMH certificate says mine came from the factory with 1 fender mounted mirror, undoubtedly the squarish type as is on the gray GT pictured in another post.
P9150110.jpg

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Sorry for not getting back to you...I've 2 of the new ones with part repro & part Lucas still in the boxes....have a few of the old, original ones in my used parts bins also,