• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Miata Taste Test

T

Tinster

Some folks have postulated, a less pig headed Scot than
myself, would have sent my bucket of bolts, broken down
Pedro-ized 69TR6 to The Crusher, purchased a Miata and
gone on with my life. But I AM pig headed and have clan
Fraser blood.

Yesterday, the Mrs and I went to a fancy after work
establishment for a drink. (shirts/ties and heels/skirts
professional crowd)

I took this photo. Folks arriving were stopping in their
tracts to get a closer look at one of the cars in this
photo.

So which car is the chick magnet, I am wondering?

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/winner1.gif

tasteTest.jpg

OP
T

TRDejaVu

Yet again the modern convertible crowd don't seem to want to get their hair messed up; I don't know why they bother. It's the difference between owning a classic car and a car. Once the Miata, Solstice etc. gets into the hands of the classic car fans then hopefully that will change.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I've got a TR3 and a Miata...both for the same reasons. Both are fun to drive. They each do it differently and each has their own character. Sometimes you have to give credit where credit is due. Mazda got it right with the Miata and put a lot of people back into roadsters when the cupboard was bare. I don't think they will ever become the classics that the British roadsters have become, at least not in my lifetime. Also, restoration of these cars later on will be much more difficult then the LBC's are. Some will do it, but because so many were made, it won't be widespread. And let's face it, an older, less commonplace car will always attract more attention then something you see everyday. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

OP
T

TRDejaVu

martx-5 said:
Mazda got it right with the Miata and put a lot of people back into roadsters when the cupboard was bare.
I agree, but it's a pity that when they are spec'ing their cars they seem to forget that the FUN option is a no charge upgrade.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Dale's new alter ego............

From here on in he'll be Sir Chick Magnet, mild mannered architect by day, famous restoration mechanic by night.

OP
D

DougF

When I bought a Mazda 3 last summer, the salesman said I will have fun with this car. Ya right, were my thoughts. The car is a ball to drive. Great handling, good acceleration, good mileage, and enough space for my work materials. But just like the Miata, it doesn't have the British appeal, though it makes a great every day car.
I was not impressed with the Miata when they first came out. Haven't driven one since, but I understand they've improved.
When they drop the Speed3 drive train into it, Mazda will have an exciting car.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
TRDejaVu said:
Yet again the modern convertible crowd don't seem to want to get their hair messed up; I don't know why they bother.

Well, I get your point but I used to leave the top up n my Miata so I didn't get sunburned (I'm of Irish decent...)

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I don't have much hair to worry about and I'm Italian, so the sun doesn't bother me much. I guess that I have no excuses.

But today I had it up. It was COLD at 65MPH on RT95 this afternoon. Good thing that the TR6 has a great heater.

tr6web

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have to chime in on this one. I have a 92 Miata (black) and of course, my 72 TR6. I love both of them...each has it's own quality of driving and both are fun to drive.

What's amazing is how easy it is to work on the Miata just like my 6. I just got through changing the Miata's timing belt (never changed one before), and it was a piece of cake. I've repaired or improved many parts of the car without ever once bringing it to the shop. What's great about the Miata is that is gets almost 30 mpg. I save a ton of money since I don't have to drive the SUV as much.

Anyway, the Miata did bring back that LBC feel, but it of course will never have the same aura as our Triumphs.

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Brosky said:
Dale's new alter ego............

From here on in he'll be Sir Chick Magnet, mild mannered architect by day, famous restoration mechanic by night.

"Tinster: Anybody seen a phone booth? Preferably
one with a door on it?" A phone booth, anybody seen
a phone booth?"

spit71

My first car was a 1974 BRG Spitfire, which I loved, of course. It was in horrendous condition and was completely unreliable in every way.

After years of mourning this cars passing, I purchased the first Miata to arrive at our local dealer in 1989. I drove the pee out of that car all over the United States and Europe. It never broke down EVER. I liked the car alot. I did not love it.

It took a while to figure out why, but the reason I eventually came to was that the Miata did not need me. Any slob could borrow and drive it - no special instructions required. It was an appliance, a really cool and fun appliance, but an appliance just the same.

Now I am rebuilding my 1971 Spitfire, and it is love all over again.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Now I am rebuilding my 1971 Spitfire, and it is love all over again. [/QUOTE]

Sniff, sniff....where's the tissues?

That's a beautiful story man, just beautiful......

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
No soul.
They got the Miata right to the point that is has no personality it's just good transportation. Works well, no issues.
I had one for awhile, supercharged it, ran like a bat outa heck but it was always missing something like every other modern Japanese vehicle I've driven.
No soul.

OP
G

I drove my beloved TR6 on the campus of LSU recently and whilst at a stop sign two gorgeous coeds were gawking at my car. Their comment, "Look at that old man in that good looking car." It hurt and felt good at the same time. Kinda like a toothache.