• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Miata engine in a Bugeye?

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Has anyone on the forum tried, or heard of, a Miata engine being installed in a Bugeye? A friend of mine who has raced a 1275 MK 3 Sprite for many years said I ought to think about putting one in my 59 BE. Is this something that can be done?
Charlie

Jayrz

Jedi Trainee
Yes it has been done.

looks o be a little more cutting than I'd prefer to do but then again my fabrication skills are note what I'd like them to be.

Take a look at this gentlemans site

https://the-mite.com/

OP
C

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Jayrz! That site sure covers the proceedure in detail. I don't know if I want to do that much modification. I think a 1275 and Datsun tranny will do just fine.
Charlie

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
A few of us have done 1275 installations in our Bugeyes (including superchargers and turbo setups), and are happy with the results. I'm waiting on a built 1275 right now from fellow BCF member Hap Waldrop at the Acme Speed Shop. I expect that to be quite zippy, even with my mountain driving/high elevation driving. Still keeps a period BMC feel -- I'm keeping the 4-speed even -- but with a bunch more grunt.

We've got a couple folks running the Datsun motor as well.

Morris

Yoda
It's the Datsun A15. It was in the 70's era Datsun 210 and 310. It's basically a re-engineered version of the BMC A-series engine which was produced under license by Datsun in the 60s.

RickB

Yoda
I've found that when I go to the auto parts store and ask for parts for a "1980 Datsun B210 Deluxe" I get the right stuff every time.

They put the A14 in the B210 and the A15 in the B210 Deluxe.

Anyway, that's what works for me. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
What they said... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
personally I am appalled at the work done on that car. Not only is he installing a powerful engine, and excellent brakes, but the strength in the chassis has been removed by cutting the rails down to 1/4 the height, and cutting away the tranny tunnel. The brake disk mounting flange is welded onto the hub causing HAZ. The caliper mounts are welded onto the spindle. This piece is forged and all the good strength properties are lost with welding.
I haven't read more through the article beyond engine and brakes. It isn't worth the time.

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
The issue we all face with whatever mod is it going to be acceptable in our own minds and to others. That about covers all the issues. The SC I've installed on my BE isn't "period correct", but it is a blast to drive. The 5 speed tranny isn't correct either, but it sure is nice on the highway. All these issues can continue on and ultimately end with whatever you feel comfortable with and can afford. A stock 1275 and ribcase tranny is hard to beat for bang for the buck. I would stick to mods that you don't have to compomise the structual itegraty of your car.

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
There are pleanty of beautifully restored examples of these cars. A little cutting and welding on some lower quality examples isn't going to hurt anything and after all, the owner - owns it. It's his and he can do what he wants with it.

All I ask is that it's done in a responsable way. After all, I have to share the roads too. Well not me, but my mother lives over there and drives. Fast cars are fine and extreme mods are fine too. But during my mechanical engineering education, I found out about strengths of materials and processes. The inspection stations in this country have found out some things too.
Their requirements: No welding on suspension components. All repairs - original shape and strength.
My recommendation: No welding on forged components. Maintain structural integrety. If cutting the chassis is required, replace the strength with further bracing elsewhere.

Gosh, I ramble too much.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Naa, you just talk a lot. Keep it up.

Ulf

I bet as long as you don't do all the talking in danish, people here will not mind the least to hear your wise words on structrual integrity. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif