• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series MG A/B/TD/TF 5-speed tranny

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
I remember that 6 months or so ago, there was a thread about overdrive conversions vs. 5-speed conversions for MGBs. Several responders indicated that 5-speed conversion prices were now too high to do that conversion.

Has anyone on the forum used the 5-speed conversion kit for the Ford Sierra transmission offered by Pierce Manifolds? You can view it on their Website at:

https://www.piercemanifolds.com/cylinderheads.htm

What were the results of your conversion--additional costs, problems, gear ratios vs. engine rpms, etc.? Is this the same kit offered by other vendors and how does its cost compare? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8NFord

I am still undecided about Ford vs Nissan conversion. I plan to one or the other over the winter. I feel that the MGB OEM overdrive is ok, but it may be a bit problematic with the potential for electrics, hydraulics, and other lockout issues. I believe that we have two of the Nissan conversions in our local club cars. Only good reports that I know of. I feel the "B" needs that overdrive or 5th gear to drive at highway speeds. The Ford conversion is about $500 more than the Nissan and it is even better deaal if you can source your own Nissan trans.

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gifI'll throw my 2 cents into this topic for what it's worth. Sorry if it's not the answer your looking for. By the looks of the Spitfire kit,(you're trying to swap into a MG tho, right?) the trickiest looking thing to come up with would be an adapter plate allowing you to bolt the trans to the bellhousing, and then getting the input shaft in the right depth. A competant machinist could do that. If it were me, I'd use a Ford 4cyl. T-5. Tons of them in the junkyards, and a pretty decent trans too. I see you live in Colorado, you should be able to find one easily at Pull-N-Save in Aurora for about $80.00. While you're at it grab the driveshaft from the donor. Use the front yoke from it & the slip yoke from the trans with the MG/Spit drivshaft. A driveline shop can put the two of them together to your length for around another $80. The rear mount is nothing but a piece of flat steel easily cut and drilled. I know I make it sound easy than it probably is but I've been doing wierd fabs like this for years. My buddy and I did a similar fab last spring when we mated a SBC to a 944 trans axle. It's no too terrible to do. How much do the sell these kits for anyway. Due to the fact you are local, I'd be more than happy to help you if need be.(that is between working on my $2005 Challenge car) Good luck!

BTW, when we did the Porsche, we used a Camero clutch disc with a 944 center piece. It's a custom piece, but a good shop could easily make one for you.

MGretired

Steve,
FWIW, I put in the pierce manifold 5 speed in my TD...GREAT! 1st class parts & instructions, well manufactured engine mounts...all in all, a very professional kit. VERY happy with the results.

OP
MGA Steve

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
Thanks, guys. All very helpful comments! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

mgamike

Freshman Member
I installed a Ford Sierra 5 spd in my 58 mga. The kit from Quatum Mechanics in CT costs about $2000. It came with Rebuilt Tranny, bell housing, driveshaft,clutch disk, shifter. speedo cable, mounts & all hardware. I couldn't be happier. e-mail me MIKMEG @ aol.com if you want more info.