• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Is there a new 5 Speed Tranny Option available

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Bill M,

This questions might be right up your alley. I see in the latest issue of Classic Motorsports under Readers Projects, they show a picture of a MG-TD. Power train is described as a MGB Engine with 5 Speed Transmission from Datsun 280-ZX.

Is this a transmission that will fit in a Spridget ala the 210 Transmission, further development of the 210 tranny in a new package that is close in size, can fit without major surgery, etc. With 210 Tranny's getting scarce as hen's teeth is this an alternative for Spridgets?

RickB

Yoda
Well I'm not BillM but...

From my trips down this road I have found that the 5 speed from the Z cars is fatter and requires a larger tunnel than the 210 trans.
I think it would be a good fit in an MGB or any MG with a nice fat tunnel, but the Spridget tunnel is pretty narrow.
There are a few other Datsun 5 speeds that also do not fit, the ones from the 200sx, 510 and B210 for example.

There is a nice WIKI over at datsun1200 forums, also linked from ratsun forums that shows all the 5 speeds and their specs. Real good reading.

https://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=5-Speeds

RickB

Yoda
Apparently the dogleg version - F5W60L - came in some models, like the B310.
You really have to watch out though, there are many configurations like a 5 speed in a transaxle fwd 310.

So even though you might see an ad for a 310 with a 5 speed don't get too excited until you look it over, make sure it's rear wheel drive etc.

G

That is a good read. No, the Z boxes are too big. I found a 63 box here, but it's too big from what I've just read. It appears to be a Z box designed to fit in the smaller B210. It would be a good 5 speed for a killer HP build or for someone who drives the crap out of their car.

210 tranny's aren't rare, just folks want too much for them. I found 7 in yards online, but they want way too much for them.

RickB

Yoda
There's been one here on craigaslist for $375 the past few weeks.
People can ask whatever they want - the real question is: "what are buyers willing to pay?"

RichBall

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
In this case B310 is the type number and appears on the manufactures data (serial #) plate on the firewall. All Datsun 210's in the US Market, and all Datsun/Nissan Sunny's in the other markets are type B310. The Datsun FWD 310 that we had here in the US market is a different car based on the Nissan N10 Pulsar. The Datsun B210 that the US market had from '73 to '78 was also a type B210 as well as being named B210.

So, remember that the B210 from'73-'78 is also a type B210, while the 210 from '79 to '81 is a type B310. The FWD 310 is a type N10 and a different line all together.

There, clear as mud.

G

What's the thoughts on a Toyota T50 or a Samuri trans behind an A series motor? (or 1500 for that fact.)

Will either fit in the tunnel w/o cutting?

Country flag
T50 has been done, but I'm not sure if cutting was required. Samurai transmission is tall and would most likely require cutting

The 280ZX box is for the MGBs, they do a kit using this box for the Bs just like they do for Spriget using the 210 gearbox.

They do make a kit for the Borg Warner T9 to go in the Spridgets, I sell a kit using the T9 for the MGBs, but the T9 in the Spridgets means a fair amount of crossmember and tunnel mods, where in the MGB, the T9 is a bolt in, even uses a stock clutch disc. I will say this for the T9 is adarn good gearbox, and the kit are sold with a nrebuilt trany ready to go, which makes them a bit higher than a conversion kit minus the gearbox, and there are still good parts supply for the T9, it just means you gotta cut on the cars, which is something most do not want to do, and understandably so. I got in the T9 business for the MGBs.

The 210 is fairly hard box to track down, but all in all, it still the best currnetly offered 5 speed option for the A series engines.

This has probably been asked before. but....can a 1500 tranny be machined to become a 5 speed?

m

RickB

Yoda
SilentUnicorn said:
This has probably been asked before. but....can a 1500 tranny be machined to become a 5 speed?

m

Not that I know of, BUT...
The 1500 is a Triumph Spitfire motor and if you could find one a Spitfire OD trans was made for it.

*Should* bolt right up.

:devilgrin:

surprised it has lasted this long at that price. doesn't seem unreasonable ..

m

G

SilentUnicorn said:
surprised it has lasted this long at that price. doesn't seem unreasonable ..

m

Yeah but the last two on ebay went for $100 less than that.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
RickB said:
SilentUnicorn said:

m

Not that I know of, BUT...
The 1500 is a Triumph Spitfire motor and if you could find one a Spitfire OD trans was made for it.

*Should* bolt right up.

:devilgrin:

true but you still have to massage the tunnel

nomad

Yoda
Wondering if anyone has fitted the Datsun "dogleg" trans and how it fits. Its supposed to be a tougher trans than the 210 box.
Kurt.

G

nomad said:
Wondering if anyone has fitted the Datsun "dogleg" trans and how it fits. Its supposed to be a tougher trans than the 210 box.
Kurt.

Look at that link, mount is further back and it's bigger. Probably need the same work as a Spit o/d to get it to fit in the tunnel.