• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tremec T-5 Five-Speed Transmission

WHT

Jedi Hopeful
Silver
Country flag
Hello,

We are considering installing a 5-speed transmission in our 1967 BJ8.

The only 5-speed transmission I see that is actively being sold in the US (besides the Moss Ford Type 9) is the new Tremec T-5 Five Speed Transmission with Cobra specifications. It looks like a good transmission with synchronizers in every gear (including reverse) and a torque rating of 330 foot-pounds. The weight is also good at 75 pounds for the main transmission and it has been manufactured continuously since the 1980s and was used in cars like the Ford Mustang.

Has anyone installed this transmission in a Austin-Healey? Specifically, we are looking at the Driven Man conversion.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards, Bill

Attachments

• 5-Speed0.JPG
    5-Speed0.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 145
  • 5-Speed1.JPG
    5-Speed1.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 5-Speed2.JPG
    5-Speed2.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 168

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have this transmission in my BJ7, albeit behind a 5.0L Ford motor. It's a very good transmission and shifts nicely. I have a 3.54 rear end so fifth gear is really only for highway use around 70 mph. I can't see why it wouldn't work equally well behind the Healey motor and the kit looks well-engineered. It will be interesting to see the cost. I'd also want to see whether the shift lever comes out in the same location as the original.

OP
WHT

WHT

Jedi Hopeful
Silver
Country flag
Hi HealeyRick,

Thanks for your information and feedback.

The complete kit cost is not inconsequential (about $6000 with shipping), but it appears to be about the best option available today. Plus, as mentioned, you are getting (i) a new transmission that is built for a much stronger engine application, (ii) a lighter transmission than stock at 75 pounds and (III) good part availability and accessories. Speedometer gearing can be changed in 15 minutes by changing a small gear in the new speedometer cable.

Driven has engineered a new tail section for the Tremec T-5 transmission and it places the shift lever exactly where it should be for the Healey center shift location. Everything is supposed to be bolt-on without modifications to the car.

The Tremec uses an adaptor plate to bolt to your original bellhousing and 5th gear ratios can be ordered at 0.71 and 0.63 depending on your differential gearing. I believe with the 3.54 ratio, RPM at 71 MPH is either 2350 or 2000 with the two options.

Hopefully, someone has installed the kit behind a stock Healey engine and has additional feedback.

Regards, Bill

Attachments

• 5-Speed4.JPG
    5-Speed4.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 163

Guido36

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The brand new Tremec TKX is small, light and compact and to my mind the way to go. Forget the TKO 500 & 600.

I fitted a McLeod Muscle 5 trans which is very similarto the TKX to my BN1 a couple of years ago. Had the TKX been available I would have certainly used that as it has better overdrive ratios. McLeod discontinued their Muscle 5 when the TKX was introduced.

https://www.tremec.com/menu.php?m=184

OP
WHT

WHT

Jedi Hopeful
Silver
Country flag
Hi Guy,

Just to be sure, you fit a new Tremec TKX transmission to a stock BN1 Austin Healey with a stock engine?

Did you have to build all of the parts to fit the new transmission installation? Or, is there a kit available for the TKX transplant?

Did your installation use the stock bellhousing or a new bellhousing casting? Any problems with the tail housing shift lever location?

The TKX transmission is certainly a great, over built unit for the Austin-Healey BJ8 stock engine with a 600 pounds-feet torque rating.

You do understand I am looking for a (i) well engineered, (ii) proven no car modification, (iii) 5-speed kit for a stock street BJ8?

I appreciate your thoughts, but hope to keep this ontrack so I get the information I need.

Thanks.

Regards, Bill

PHulst

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
Bill,

I would see if Driven has updated their kits for the new TKX.
It's what is becoming the new preference for conversion in older Corvettes as well.
If you need to, I'd wait for kits to be updated to this new version before making the swap.

OP
WHT

WHT

Jedi Hopeful
Silver
Country flag
Hi PHulst (and Guido 36),

I appreciate the information and help that you and Guy gave me. And, I absolutely agree that he TKX would be a better transmision for an older muscle car or if we were drag racing our Austin-Healey.

The TKX, by all accounts, is a wonderful, strong, new end loader transmission. However, I am not sure if it is worth the considerable expense and time required to completely re-engineer the Driven 5-speed kit or for me to source an adaptor plate, transmission mounts, tail section, drive shaft (etc) to fit the TKX to our BJ8.

The TKX is 25 pounds heavier than the T-5 at 100 pounds and is rated at 600 pounds-feet torque at 8000 RPM. The lighter T-5 is only 75 pounds and rated at 330 pounds-feet torque at 7000 RPM.

Unfortunately, our BJ8 only makes about 150 HP and has at most 170 pounds-feet of torque. So, the T-5 transmission is more than adequate for our driving needs. All the feedback I have seen for the latest T-5 Cobra transmission says it is a very durable, dependable and easy shifting transmission that is still being manufactured and updated today after 40 years of production (with lots of tail housing and shifter options available). Parts for the T-5 will be available for decades. I really don't think we would be gaining much using the more expensive and heavier TKO transmission for our application?

We usually do not power shift our stock BJ8 transmission much beyound 6000 RPM when driving on the street. From an engine torque standpoint, there is very little to gain by shifting the BJ8 after 3500 RPM. The T-5 rating of 330 pounds-feet torque at 7000 RPM should be OK.

I am looking for a bolt-on 5-speed kit using a good (new) transmission with a 0.63 or 0.73 overdrive 5th gear that will be easier for my wife to shift (the T-5 has carbon fiber lined steel synchro rings for improved friction surfaces and shifting). The Driven T-5 kit appears to meet my all of my needs and I was asking for feedback from someone who has installed the kit.

Thank you.

Regards, Bill

Attachments

• T5 TKX 1.JPG
    T5 TKX 1.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 115
  • BJ8 Torque.JPG
    BJ8 Torque.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 145

PHulst

Jedi Hopeful
Bronze
Country flag
Bill,

Then go for it!
It sounds like it will fit your needs exactly.

Looking at a TKX installation in a 1965 Corvette over here, so it's on the mind.

Patrick

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Have you considered doing the Toyota 5 speed conversion? It's a lot less expensive and more than adequate for the Healey motor.

OP
WHT

WHT

Jedi Hopeful
Silver
Country flag
Hi BoyRacer,

Thanks for mentioning this conversion. We did consider the Toyota transmission (that was our original plan).

But the people who sell it (if they still do sell it?) apparently do not want to be found. I searched the internet and did not find their website. And, most of the information we found on the forums about the conversion was from 2004 to 2010. Not much new information other than the correct used Toyota transmission is getting difficult to source with increasing in cost.

We would have to find the correct used Toyota transmission and then have it rebuilt; and that opens up a whole set of new problems. The T-5 (T5Z) is a light weight, new transmission with an active aftermarket parts supply and accessories (many stronger gears/parts are availabe). For example, you can buy new, stronger T-5 cases that increase the torque rating of the transmission to 430 pounds-feet for only $350.

We spoke to several people who have the latest T-5 in their Austin-Healey and they all gave very favorable feedback and said it shifted smoothly and increased drivability.

Regards, Bill

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Pete Delaney bought "Smitty's Five Speed" a number of years ago and here is his contact info:

Healey 5 Speed
P O Box 561
Harrisburg, NC 28075
704-455-2585
704-455-8504 FAX
Healey5Speedaol.com

I've seen lots of complaints from people who have tried to reach him and it took a long time to do so, but if you could get your hands on the full kit it would save you lots of time and many dollars. No question, the Tremec is a far superior unit and would be new, but a Toyota W transmission is more than adequate and if you can find one with the slightly longer gearing you will have a nicer OD.

Marlincrawler.com sells reconditioned W transmissions but you'd still have to source a conversion bell housing--or make up a new rear plate--and all the other bits.

OP
WHT

WHT

Jedi Hopeful
Silver
Country flag
Hi Michael and Rob,

Thank you for the information on contacting Pete Delaney. As mentioned, when we began looking for a 5-speed conversion for a BJ8 this was our first plan. The W58 weighs about the same as the T-5 and it is a good side-loader transmission. But, Pete's contact information is difficult to find.

I will contact Pete if possible and see if they still sell the Delaney-Smitty kit just to touch all bases. However, I read accounts from more than one person that it could take weeks for him to respond to a purchase request or installation problem sometimes; and that kind of turned me off on the Toyota conversion. I also saw that several people doing the Toyota conversion had problems with off-center machined parts (misaligned bell housings for example).

Driven Man has always gotten back to me in a few minutes with either kit information or specifications from their technical advisor. It is a much larger company and all of their machining uses modern CNC technology. The only real downside appears to be the cost. But hey, life is short. We can either spend our money now and enjoy it, or let the current government take it. :smile:

Also, as mentioned previously, Driven can provide either 0.73 or 0.63 5th gear ratios. I looked at their gear ratios and they seem to fit the Austin-Healey engine HP and torque curves and our driving needs reasonably well. Please see my included torque curve and speed calculations at 3000 RPM for both transmissions. Both transmission gear ratios are similar, but I like the T-5 spacing better.

Thanks again.

Regards, Bill

Attachments

• W58 T-5 Comparison.JPG
    W58 T-5 Comparison.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 139
  • T-5 Speed.JPG
    T-5 Speed.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 103
  • W58 Speed.JPG
    W58 Speed.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 115
OP
WHT

WHT

Jedi Hopeful
Silver
Country flag
Hi,

Just as an update, I called Marlincrawler.com to inquired about purchasing a rebuilt Toyota W58 transmission. They told me they could rebuild one for me if I could find a good core to rebuild. They do not have any cores themselves anymore. Good, rebuildable W58 transmissions are becoming rare and expensive.

Checked several other rebuilders and was told the same.

Regards, Bill

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
It is incredible that Delaney has such consistently bad marks on customer response. I believe that shortly after he purchased the business from Smitty's he had some health issuers, but that was years ago. Whatever, it's a shame that a wonderful product seems to be languishing.

What will you use to get the Tremec mated up to the engine?

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Bear in mind I have a BN2 which didn't have an hydraulic clutch. I did the Smitty/Delaney conversion last year and although there was one bump in the process, Pete made it right as soon as we recognized the problem. I found their email response to be a bit slow but on the phone I had no problems. I was lucky to find a really nice W58 not far from me as I was reluctant to buy even a core sight unseen. I suspect if you make finding one a long term project, that they are still out there. The Delaney kit is nice because it includes a new driveshaft, shifter with the correct tower location and all the levers and hydraulics you need. All I needed was a new speedometer gear to replace a worn one and a set of seals for the gearbox plus the kit and I had everything needed. It is not or at least for me was not quite a bolt off/ bolt on kit as it is meant to be, due to small variations between frames. Some grinding and fitting was needed for me but I'm on the old school side of things and don't expect anything to go as planned or work as expected.

OP
WHT

WHT

Jedi Hopeful
Silver
Country flag
Hi Michael,

Driven makes complete 5-speed bolt-on transmission kits for Austin-Healey (3000), Jaguar (E-Type, V12XJ, XJS, XK120, XK140-150) and Mercedes (230, 250, 280SL) cars. The Austin Healey 3000 5 speed conversion kit. Includes:

New custom built Tremec 5 speed gearbox with 2.95 first and either 0.73 or 0.63 5th gear.
a Custom billet shifter mechanism to replicate the 4 speed center line shift lever position.
Austin Healey specific speedometer cable with drop-in speedometer calibration gears.
Speedometer drive gear.
Propshaft yoke included with the required Austin Healey propshaft.
Reverse lamp harness.
Polished stainless steel shift lever.
5 speed Healey replica shifter knob.
CNC milled conversion plate to adapt 5 speed to the original 4 speed bellhousing. *We offer plates for both the side and center shift bellhousings.
Organic matrix sprung hub 9.5″ clutch disc.
Gearbox Isolator.
Bolt in gearbox cross-member support plate and motor mounts.
New needle roller pilot (spigot) bearing.

The kit contains everything you will need and the adapter plate bolts to the stock Austin-Healey bellhousing. The new transmissions are customized for the Austin-Healey with a new tail shaft to position the shifter correctly.

And, they provide full installation/technical support. Please see the image below which shows the kit.

Regards, Bill

Attachments

• Driven Man Kit.JPG
    Driven Man Kit.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 142

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Bill--

Given the difficulties you have experienced in finding an alternative I understand your eagerness to proceed. It certainly sounds like a sophisticated and well-thought-out package. I wish you the best and hope you will keep us in the loop.

I guess I should count myself as fortunate to have been able to do business with Smitty himself when i arrived at his shop in 2002 about 3000 miles from home with a broken 2nd gear cluster. Smitty had a kit as well as a rebuilt Toyota box available, gave me full use of his equipment, lift etc. and supplied a significant amount of free labor during the installation.

Following completion of the installation I was able to proceed south to LA to visit family and drive back to MD without incident. To be sure, it was a hot ride across the southwest as I had merely pop-riveted some pieces of sheet metal onto the narrow side-shift tunnel to accommodate the Toyota's greater width. Once home I fabbed up a tunnel using a Moss 100-6 unit and replaced the spring clutch with a BJ8 diaphragm clutch which made for lighter pedal effort.

Twenty years and perhaps 60K miles later it is still a great conversion.