• Hey Guest!
    Yoda says: A FREE resource for the Little British Car community BCF is. Support us with an account upgrade, not many will (less than 1%) "Require" you to pay to play we don't, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade you should. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Seeing this UGLY banner, you won't)
Tips
Tips

Interior color dilema

boxfullofyertoys

I'm hoping to get some thoughtful insight on this...

I've pretty much decided to replace the stock seats in the Midget with seats from a Miata, however I'm torn on the color issue. My car came with an Autumn Leaf interior and I don't think I'll be able to find a good color match. I've located a pair of '90-97 gen Miata seats for $100 that need to be re-upholstered (the foam in them is still good, btw). I'd prefer to do a cloth seat so I don't fry my rear on hot days, but I'm not sure what I can do to get a close color match. Bottom line: I'm trying to add a cool feature (speakers in the headrests) and get a better set of seats for less than it'd cost me to completely redo the stock seats...

My options as I see it:

- Re-upholster the stock seats (they need new...everything :p)
- Get the Miata seats, re-upholster them black cloth, use vinyl dye/paint to change interior panels to black (the panels are in good shape, the carpet is being replaced either way)
- Get the Miata seats, re-upholster them in vinyl, use vinyl dye/paint to change them to Autumn Leaf color.

I think even with the vinyl dye, I'd still be ahead of the game in terms of cost vs buying all the seat covers and foam from Moss or VB..

Thoughts?

Re: Interior color dillema

What color is the exterior of the car?

Tahiti Blue...

One of the best decisions I made was switching to Miata seats. You might check some upholstery shops to see if they can make replacement covers in a cloth matched similar to your autumn leaf. If that doesn't work you might try the neoprene covers, as they come in different colors and patterns. Spray painting interior panels requires a lot of cleaning the years of armor all and dirt off, or the paint won't stick for long.

I thought about going that route, but I feel like it may be a bit cost prohibitive...

...unless of course someone knows of a cheap upholstery guy in PA :p

I like the lighter interior with Tahiti Blue better than black. If not autumn leaf then a beige or biscuit.

Whitephrog...I tend to agree with you, thus the dilemma. lol

I'm going to try and call a few auto interior places this afternoon and see what the deal is. Maybe it won't be so bad if they make them for me and I install them myself...

Why not just install the Miata seats and use a set of good quality seat covers? There are a lot of different options out there and the DIY seatcover have really improved. I bet you could get a close match to the Autumn Leaf color and stay under 100.00.

Hey here's the ticket, Tan Hawaian Print Seat Covers. https://www.mmmiata.com/mm081-th.JPG
Google Miata Seat Covers and you'll get a wealth of options.

I'd look for another seat of Miata Seats at $100.00 plus needing foam and complete upholstery. By the time toy are done you'll be $3-400 into these seats. You can do better with a better seat to start with and then add Seat Covers as needed. There area gazillion Miatas out there and many of them are in junkyards.

Try https://www.miata.net/cgi-bin/isc/classifieds.cgi for Miata Classifieds there are always seats listed there.

I got mine by using the Yellow Pages and calling all of the local Auto Recycling Yards. Seats were inside, dry, and clean well sort of clean but dry. They wanted $200.00 the set and I bargained for $150.00. Speakers in great shape and really sound fabulous.

Oh one otherthought, place an add with your local Miata Car Club. They will know who is upgrading interiors to get "cooler seats."

Jim,

Per the seller, they don't need new foam. I'm skeptical, but we'll see when the photos show up in my email. The person selling them owns a small all-Miata shop in Northeastern PA, right near where I grew up so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for now.

I also called around to a few Auto Recycling places and no body seems to have any. I'll keep trying though :smile:

and FWIW I ordered from Stock Carpet (https://www.stockinteriors.com/) who have a larger number of color choices if you need to blend

Thanks for all the input!

I think I'm going to take a "wait and see" approach on this one, and put the black seats in as-is for now and then make a judgment call. Ms Triss def pulled off the white/black/red...now that I'm thinking about it a blue/brown/black color scheme might not look all that bad considering the dash, shift boot, visors, and tonneau are already black...

I'll be sure to keep you guys up to date on how I'm making out :smile: