• Hi Guest - Welcome to the New BCF!! Welcome to the new (as of 2/22/21) British Car Forum. For help navigating this platform, see: This forum
  • Hi Guest! Being a Paying Supporter is NOT a requirement to participate at BCF. However, subscribing will help ensure we can continue to serve the LBC community for years to come. If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource...Please consider supporting us by **Upgrading**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this banner)
Tips
Tips

New top and interior-that escalated quickly!

77MidgetMkIV

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Hey all- not a big poster as of late, but figured I would kick one off for this spring's Midget projects- It started innocently enough- I pulled the steering column to replace the High/Low/Turn signal switch, and while I was at it, I decided to clean up some loose wiring, and make a parts list- new column cowl and ignition/keyset (mine are not original and not even actual MG)....I then decided to finally pull off the old soft top, as it was torn, and remove the frame since it had a broken bow that I have dealt with for years- I have another one I've stored for over 15 years, finally going on the car. Then I pulled the seats to get a good vacuum on the entire carpet.....then I pulled out all the carpet and will replace it w/ new.....and all the panels....I can't stop! I've owned mine for 22 years, and it is finally getting a makeover!

mtarcher1

Freshman Member
I think you'll be glad you did once you get it all put back together...it so much easier to appreciate these cars when you don't have all those little things nagging you every time you get in!

77MidgetMkIV

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Hey all- quick question/opinion- has anyone installed the carpet kits from e-bay, and if so, are you satisfied? was browsing some parts and the carpet kit came up in my search and the price is attractive, though I understand that there is going to be a quality tradeoff.....just wondering-thx!

vping

Yoda
I bought a few kits from eBay. First one I bought for the Bugeye and it installed without issue. Wheel wells and the rear panel were glued. All others I installed with fasteners. I liked it so much I picked up another for the '74 Midget. This was last year and then the seller stopped making/selling them.

Madflyer

Jedi Warrior
Sounds like the same SAND DAM I did on my TR 6. This summer locked in at home started with new radiator and geared starter fuel filter Ho timing chain cover leaking so seal & chain. poor windscreen so new glass. Overdrive leak OK pull trans new gear on flywheel for starter, all seal on trans . carpet 27 years old so new and removed role bar. Removed soft top for Backlight ready to install shipped from UK broken so on holding. I built the car from frame up 27 years ago so it was an old car again. Seats and paint still great so my baby like new again. Madflyer see old picHPIM2684.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Hey all- quick question/opinion- has anyone installed the carpet kits from e-bay, and if so, are you satisfied? was browsing some parts and the carpet kit came up in my search and the price is attractive, though I understand that there is going to be a quality tradeoff.....just wondering-thx!

Bought mine from Stock interiors https://www.stockinteriors.com/items.asp?ModelId=496&MainCatId=1 quite happy after a decade. The only thing I would say is that if you want to match any colour than black buy from the same source - the red carpet doesn't quite match the red trim on the seats

77MidgetMkIV

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Bought mine from Stock interiors https://www.stockinteriors.com/items.asp?ModelId=496&MainCatId=1 quite happy after a decade. The only thing I would say is that if you want to match any colour than black buy from the same source - the red carpet doesn't quite match the red trim on the seats

I hadn't found them yet- Thx for the link- their prices seems very reasonable- a bit more than Ebay but less than most sites. If you are happy after 10 years that is a great thing!

yycmidget

Freshman Member
I bought a Moss carpet kit (242-573) in 2018 and found that it was well made and everything fit reasonably well. It was a "non-molded" kit, so there was a lot of time needed to do the wheel arches. The tunnel was easier, but there were few small wrinkles at the end. It took me 4 pretty long days to tear out the old and put in the new carpet. If I were to do it again, I'd be tempted to go for a higher quality kit with molded sections for arches/tunnel.

Not sure if it's true, but I've been told that every extra $100 spent on the kit saves a day of labour!

77MidgetMkIV

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Question to the group- any other options for purchasing interior panel kits that you have been satisfied with? just trying to comparison shop a bit before I start placing orders.