• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A How far to go on a TR3A restoration

txtr3

Country flag
So I'm thinking about "restoring" my 59 TR3A. But I'm getting a little schizophrenic, debating with myself just what "restoration" means in my case.

I'm sure I want more than just a quick cosmetic paint and interior job. But do I stop with a quality paint job and new interior (oh, and what color)? Or do I take the body off the frame, and do a much more thorough job on the body and frame. And then there's the engine (which has I think 135k miles on it), the suspension (which is in pretty good shape), ...

This could be a show winning car, I'm sure, but I want to be able to drive it without worrying too much, and I don't really care about show results...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

I know I'm likely to spend more on the job than the resulting car will be worth, and I'm ok with that. The question is just how much more will I spend?

Obviously, this comes down to a personal decision, but I'm interested to hear what you guys think.

Cheers,
Jiri /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

G

Do you intend keeping it for the forseeable future?

If so then your income level and detail orientation should be your guide. If you don't think it's worth it, don't do it. If it bugs you and you can find a way to pay for it, then do...

If it's not a forever car then I'd say use fmv as a guide, so you aren't throwing too much dough away.

ymmv of course. This is MNSHO only.
Personally I'm big on doing it right the first time. Costs more up front, less down the line...

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
So I'm thinking about "restoring" my 59 TR3A. But I'm getting a little schizophrenic, debating with myself just what "restoration" means in my case.

[/ QUOTE ]It means anything from a relatively clean paint brush for the bodywork...to extreme writer's cramp from the number of checks written.

[ QUOTE ]
I know I'm likely to spend more on the job than the resulting car will be worth, and I'm ok with that. The question is just how much more will I spend?

[/ QUOTE ]This really is a very personal decision, and it's one not necessarily based only on funds available. In all honesty, I've never been in a financial position to think about a cost-be-da**ed type of restoration. Sure, I like the cars to be in great running condition, and I like them to look presentable, but I've never cared that much about the "show" scene per se. I greatly prefer enjoying them as if they were relatively new, caring for them best I can, and not getting too paranoid about the "what ifs" (like what if some nut in an Escalade backs into it or what if it rains while I'm out driving, etc.).

I'm also a firm believer in leaving well enough alone. If the car is mechanically sound as it stands currently, why mess with that? Meanwhile, if it needs paint and/or interior for sake of preservation and comfort/appearance, by all means go ahead and do what you have to do.

I could ramble lots more, but I won't. EXCEPT, I will add one warning: I've seen too many cases where people have spent $$$$ to restore such a car to "perfection." Fine. But then they're just too darned afraid of it to drive it as they did before spending that $$$$. So what's the point? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

G

Jiri,
Tough question. I would almost have to see the car, quiz you on your mechanical abilities and/or the willingness to learn, do you have a place to do the restoration?, are you married and do you wish to stay that way?, can we interview your accountant?, and most important-would you really rather have a new modern sports car to enjoy trouble free??? Kidding aside, fixing up an LBC can bring immense joy to one's life but understand that you will be a member of a rather exclusive club with very few members that really only see each other once a year or so. Money? You bet, and lots of it. Oh, there are those out there (many on this forum) who can make a silk purse and not spend much money at all. But for the most part, you can figure that a complete restoration of any Triumph, TR2-6, will cost about $30,000.00, plus the cost of the car! And that is not to concours, Pebble Beach condition. What can you buy for 30K new? And what will it be worth in 5 years. You won't get your money back on a TR resto but they are going up in value. A really slick TR3 should bring about 20+K in the right part of the country. I have about 38K in my TR6 but I don't have a camp (vacation home to the rest of the country), a boat, a Harley (or BMW in the rest of the country), I don't drink (anymore, 21 years dry!), I don't run around (not being caught counts as "don't")....but I enjoy my TR6 immeasureably. Bottom line, it is all relative. If you have to ask how much, you probably should think twice. Being OCD really helps. The big reality check (I think it was broached in an above post)
is you cannot count this car as a useable vehicle, they are totally impractical for any sort of everyday use (save going to Starbucks for a triple latte and try to look totally aloof when you park the car where not only everybody there can watch it, but especially you can watch it. You will never drive it to any place of business that doesn't have a large plate glass window that will allow you to keep you eye on it at all times.) Just ask the collector car insurance company that you will choose to insure it, and look at the limitations they will place on it.

Good luck and I hope you go through with the restoration. I know you will have fun.

Bill

(This post reminds me of Pre Cana classes that I used to give. An average of 10% of the engaged couples would back out after I gave my talks. The priest made me stop giving classes.)

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
No matter how little you decide to do you will be doing twice that. And it grows expotentially.

Bruce

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
...but I want to be able to drive it without worrying too much, and I don't really care about show results...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that will take you to your answer. I wanted a car which wasn't an embarassment to be seen in but not so nice that (as Andy notes) I would be fearful of driving.

Mine looks good but I'll drive any road, paved or otherwise, that it doesn't bottom out on, park it in the Home Depot lot and bring it home with a load of 2x4s sticking out the passenger side.

For me a focus on dependability, decent paint & interior and as much originality as I felt practical and safe resulted in a car that I can enjoy everyday.

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
Some of the items you have listed can be done later, as your budget allows.
If you do the paint now you can do the interior next year, the mechanical work the year after....
I am doing my car this way, complete body off resoration, bu the bumpers will not be chromed or the seats recovered etc for a while.
Simon.

Andy Blackley

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I will echo George Hahn's opinion. My car looks and runs great, but it is no show winner either. I brought it from a PO that knew little about it, where it languished in long term storage for years, which preserved the body nicely. I spent several months cleaning the filth out of the interior and bringing it to a mechanically reliable condition.
I drive it to work when its not raining (40 mile round trip)and around to meetings and such, but avoid high speed, high congestion traffic. A TR250 is somewhat rare and if it ever is damaged in an accident the repair cost will be high, so I suppose some might argue that I am foolish to drive it. But I own it, it doesn't own me, and the best part of this car is the fun of driving it.
I will continue to restore and improve the car, retaing a mostly stock appearance but always with an eye on my prefernces. For example it now sports 72 spoke wire wheels with eared knock-offs, which some punter at a show recently pointed out to me were not correct. No kidding bub, but I like'em like that. I am all for mechanical improvements too, so triple carbs and a 5 speed are not out of the question.
Bottom line: Decide how your your car will be used and that will guide your decisions on how much to do and when. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
I would suggest a middle ground between the frame off and the respray(tart job). I think a nice wing off resto may be what you need.All removeable sheetmetal off and stripped. Body/frame up on stands for easy cleaning/painting. You can repair any rust you find and prevent any that is not there yet. Might pull the motor too but with the head off, you can do a nice job on the bay and everything the old girl needs as far as freshing up (timing chain, seals, ring bearings, and valve job. The biggest mistake of most tr3 restorers is thinking that the rockerpanel is a structural member.IT IS NOT.Underneath is the sillbox it holds the car together, if you do nothing else make SURE that this is sound and free of metalworms(then put on a new rockerpanel)
MD(mad dog)

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
How far you need to go will depond on what you find as you take things off, and what you are going after as you go back with everything. Do you what a show car or one that you would drive most of the time.

Don

OP
txtr3

txtr3

Country flag
I appreciate all the input. I'm leaning toward MD's suggestion for the body work, which would fit with my mechanical abilities and time. I think that the frame is in good shape as far as rust; my only concern is what I might miss by not taking the body off the frame. On the other hand, I guess I should look at it as an ongoing project, and if something comes up later it can be fixed then.

The insurance issue is one I haven't really thought much about. Right now I've got a basic, non-classic policy, which I know needs to change.

There's always something to think about and/or work on when you're not driving, which is what makes it a good hobby, right?

Mark_Gibson

Jedi Trainee
I would say that it's totally a personal preference, and how you want the car to look and perform when finished. If you can do alot of the mechanical and interior work yourself, it will save you a bunch of cash. Having just spent 22K to do a frame off restoration on my TR-6, and I did all the work except paint/body, as you've read above, a full blown restoration isn't for the faint of wallet! However, I really enjoy knowing that everything on the car is rebuilt or new, and that is a trade off. I just didn't want to do this every 3 or 4 years as I found one thing after another that needed replacing. I enjoy showing the 6 and so my TR-2 will get the same treatment; how long it takes will depend on my financial situation in 2006 I guess. Good luck with your 3 and let me know if you need any advice on your restoration. We have a great group of sidescreen TR owners on this forum!

R6MGS

Yoda
We've got cars that are mostly in different stages, condition wise, and i can tell you without a doubt the car that I get the most enjoyment of is the 61 MGA with hardly any carpet, cracking paint, and virtually no useable weather gear....I don't have to worry about it....I can park it somewhere and not worry......last month I removed the passenger seat and brought home a 6foot evergreen tree! The concours MGA didn't even go through a 1/2 tank of gas last summer.....So keep that in mind when you make your decision.

Zack