• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Horn Replacement Wiring

OP
olarson

olarson

Freshman Member
Country flag
I am replacing my 59 TR3’s horns. The horns I purchased have one black lead and one red lead. My new wiring harness has one brown/green wire and one brown/black wire for the horns. Anyone know which red and black wire connects to which of my two harness horn wires? Any help would be appreciated!!

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
The horns normally don't have a polarity, so it shouldn't matter as long as the horn's two wires are isolated from ground and there is no internal diode or anything weird like that. (Which is true of every replacement horn I've ever seen.)

That said, I'm a little concerned about the red and black wires, which imply a polarity, maybe because of an internal diode for reducing voltage spikes. To be safe, you could connect the red horn wire to the brown-green, which is the positive side.

Were there any instructions supplied with the horns?

OP
olarson

olarson

Freshman Member
Country flag
The horns normally don't have a polarity, so it shouldn't matter as long as the horn's two wires are isolated from ground and there is no internal diode or anything weird like that. (Which is true of every replacement horn I've ever seen.)

That said, I'm a little concerned about the red and black wires, which imply a polarity, maybe because of an internal diode for reducing voltage spikes. To be safe, you could connect the red horn wire to the brown-green, which is the positive side.

Thanks for the quick reply. There were no instructions with the horns. I have had them for awhile and and just getting around to putting them in.

Attachments

• IMG_4880.png
    IMG_4880.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 44

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Red to brown/green and black to brown/black will work. That will maintain the polarity they seem to want, although +1 that it really shouldn't matter...unless one is also grounded to the chassis of the horn.

Fern

Freshman Member
Silver
Country flag
If you’re upgrading the horns, it might be the right time to add a relay switch for them. Keeps the higher current out of the steering tube and horn button. Purchased it at Canadian Tire (Harbor Freight in the States) or any auto parts shop.

OP
olarson

olarson

Freshman Member
Country flag
If you’re upgrading the horns, it might be the right time to add a relay switch for them. Keeps the higher current out of the steering tube and horn button. Purchased it at Canadian Tire (Harbor Freight in the States) or any auto parts shop.
Thanks for the advice. Where is the relay switch wired in? Is that a inline fuse? I am a real novice about wiring.

Chipper

Freshman Member
Country flag
I recently add a rely as Fern suggested. Also put on a separate fuse circuit and up sized the wire gauge. The horns are one of the largest power draws in the car.
If you wish to have the wires coming out of the horns match that of the original harness you can open the top cover by removing the screw. The cover will come right off if not rusted. You will find the wires are attached by bullet connectors. Just use some matching wire to the harness and rewire the leads.

This also is a good time to test the horns, clean contacts and adjust per manual spec. They are 65 years old and could use some cleaning and tune up. I gave mine a freak paint job while was at it. Looked for some pictures, but was unable to find.

Good luck
Honk honk