• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Horn Button Removal

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
Hello fellow TR3ers I have the horn control head and stator tube on the workbench. Before reinstalling it I would like to pry off the button and clean things up in there as last summer the horn button was sticking on much to the dismay of drivers in front of me. My question is what is the best way to remove the button? Looks like the chrome/plastic? ring is what holds the button down. Do I gently pry off the ring with a thin blade knife and free up the button. I don't want to break anything. How is the ring secured?

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
No, there are 3 screws that hold the plastic pieces together and the button in place. There are some pics on the forum.

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I did not take a lot of pictures when I repaired my control head. Once I got going it was not that difficult to take apart and put back together. Randall has several articles on his google site that also detail the rebuild process. Hopefully these pictures will help. Some are when I first took it apart (note the twisted wires) and some are when I was putting it back together. I found that the best thing to clean the bakelite parts is dishwashing liquid and warm water. I used white lithium grease to lubricate it.
Bob
IMG_7250.jpgIMG_7259.jpgIMG_7260.jpgIMG_7272.jpgIMG_7275.jpgIMG_7283.jpgIMG_7254.jpg

alexbobalex

Freshman Member
Once you've taken out the three screws, take the cover off. You will likely find that the copper ring has come unglued. Take a bit of fine grit sand paper to clean it up. Find some good metal/plastic glue. You can use a suitable epoxy but I found the metal/plastic Krazy Glue worked just as well. Good luck!

OP
K

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
Once you've taken out the three screws, take the cover off. You will likely find that the copper ring has come unglued. Take a bit of fine grit sand paper to clean it up. Find some good metal/plastic glue. You can use a suitable epoxy but I found the metal/plastic Krazy Glue worked just as well. Good luck!
Once I take the three screws out and take the cover off to glue down the copper ring will all the various other assorted bits and pieces stay in place? I really don't want to any farther in the disassembly:fatigue:

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Yes take the 3 screw lose on the plastic and only the plastic will come apart with the button. Hopefully from there you can see the problem. Might be dirty and IIRC there is a screw for the horn right there that could be lose. There are 3 screws on the metal that you can see through a window hole leave those alone if you just want the button.

OP
K

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
Got it apart and that was the problem . The copper ring had come unglued and was riding in one of the spring loops. Did you clean up the bakelight area with fine sandpaper before re glueing or just the copper ring?:encouragement:

alexbobalex

Freshman Member
Depends much on the situation, but just make sure both are nice and clean. The sandpaper is mostly to create a little texture on the copper ring to give the glue something to hang on to. Don't worry too much. As long as the copper disc sticks nicely in place, you are good to go. Good luck! /Alex
PS Never open up the inside of the control head where all the bits and pieces of the trafficator reside unless you have unlimited patience and a swear jar near by.