• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Help with a camera

LLAngus

Jedi Knight
I am looking to buy a digital camera to take pictures so I can put them on the forum. The camera does not have to be a professional model but something that will shoot good pictures. I need to get my projects on the forum so I can maybe get advice on several things. My son is starting on my daughter's Miget and my MGB GT needs help again. Any suggestions or advice.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That should work just great, I too have a Kodak. Cheep, easy and good pics. Check below for what you get.

Rob_P

Jedi Trainee
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gif

The cheapest camera you can find will be fine for posting pictures online.

The higher mega pixel cameras are necessary for printing the photos.

(posters or actual photo's need almost 5 times the resolution of a computer monitor)

to simplify, a computer monitor displays at 72 dpi (dots per inch) which is all that you need. printing at 72 dpi is grainy, these require 150 - 300 dpi.

my first digital was a 1.3 megapixel. and that is a relic now. if you can get a 3.2 mega pixel for under 100 bucks, that would be the way to go.

(if it comes with a recghargable docking station, even better as the batteries for these things can be a pain)

Rob

Rick_Stevens

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
I've got a nice Sony camera that was inexpensive and works very well. Nice toy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I take and upload pictures with my cell phone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

R.

Country flag
I started with a mid-priced Kodak, not their cheapest, but not the most expensive either. I wanted something cheap and easy to use to see if I like it better than my old Olympus SLR. I ended up using it practically all the time, and have since gotten a better one- for not much more than the first one.

FWIW, I found that having some good photo editing software helped a lot too....

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
If you'll be using it for mostly car related pics and 'in-progress' project pics, bear in mind dirty fingerprints and oil all over it so something like what Mark suggested would be ideal.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Dirty fingerprints and oil? Not on my car you don't. Just like an operating room, all nice and clean and neat. Oh you mean the tear down, gesh, Gloves, think Gloves.

Gearhead

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
What ever camera u choose get one with rechargable batterys or a battery pack its well worth the extra cost buying batteries all the time will pay for itself quickly my Nikon has held up rather well. Mark

Guinn

Jedi Warrior
Believe it or not, but one of those kids cameras available at Ritz or Kits Camera stores for under $50 can do everything you need for the purpose you have stated. My personal cameras run from $700 to $900, but the camera I use to post car pix on the forum is my wife's $100 camera - and that is over-kill. The small size is a plus as you can use it to take pix under the dash and other places where you can't get behind the camera to focus, etc. Just take the pix "blind".

Guinn

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
speaking of cameras... I'm a bit miffed that Windows XP 64 doesn't like my Sony "Cyber Shot" and Sony doesn't provide 64-bit drivers for the dang thing to let me use it with said OS.

Maybe things'll be better for Vista 64... I'd have switched to Linux a long time ago if I didn't have this terrible habit of wanting to play video games on my PC...

mgb4tim

Jedi Trainee
As a side note, if you want to take your pictures to the next set up, especially when doing close-ups (for those "what's this part' pictures") or low light shots, get-and use- a tripod.

It doesn't have to be expensive, but will make your photos sharper. Like this one - https://www.surpluscomputers.com/store/main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item=CES10311

I have a couple assignments with my students in which I recommend tripod use. When we look at their work, you can see who did and didn't use a tripod.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I just read this on Sony's product support FAQ:

[ QUOTE ]
The USB driver is currently not compatible with computers running 64-bit operating systems. This applies to factory installed 64-bit operating systems as well as operating systems that have been upgraded to 64-bit.

The issue is currently being investigated by Sony. If a 64-bit version of the USB driver is developed, it will be posted to the Sony® PC Support Web site at https://www.sony.com/pcsupport

[/ QUOTE ]

currently investigated they say... heh... no driver support for an OS that's been around since late 2005. This does not make me a happy camper.

errrrr... This nonsense probably doesn't help any of you, unless you're currently considering upgrading to a 64-bit OS. If you have to have Windows, it looks like Windows Vista 64 will be the 64-bit OS to go for. Since it seems that more companies than just Sony have shunned Windows XP 64 as a platform for them to make money on or worth supporting their current products on.

On the flip side, I kind of find this humorous. I can remember back when Linux was the "neglected" OS. Seems Windows XP 64 is the step child of the computing world these days.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I gave up on it after I read that stuff last night. I just used my workstation to upload a couple of pics I wanted to show some people.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Linux.... linux..... linux.... You're getting sleeepy..... linux...

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I've had 2 Canons and have been extremely pleased with them, basically 'point & shoot' with some added features if you so desire.

Bought mine here, was the cheapest place at the time for the camera I wanted:

https://shop1.outpost.com

Rob_P

Jedi Trainee
i had an old pc that i wiped out and ran Linux on. Now i get my Linux stability in my mac. best of both worlds, IMHO.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
my linux box only has 2 USB ports on it... WTHeck was Apple thinking when they put Gigabit LAN and only 2 USB ports on a G4?!?