• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hello All....NEWBIE

z0sense

Freshman Member
I am new to the britsih car world.

I just bought my first project (very small project) a 1964 AH Sprite MKII

Seems there is lots of conversions available for the car. I just want to drive the car, not really into the restorative factor.:(

I am going to try an modernize the vehicle with the shock conversions available, etc.

Just curious about 2 things right now:
1. Is there a rear disk conversion for the car, or has anyone attempted it?

2. Are there wheels available any larger then stock i.e. 15" - 17"?

If I have to I will tub the car, I want to see what the car would look like with a larger/wider wheel.

Maybe something simple like a 15" Weld Racing wheel, or something.

Let me know if you have any links to pictures, etc. Info would be appreciated.

I look forward to being a member for awhile:smile: Next car will be a AH 3000 or something similar.

john_j

Jedi Trainee
Why do you want to put dics on the back? If you hit the brakes hard the rears tend to lock up first anyway due to the weight being thrown forward so discs aren't going to make it stop any faster.

Tim Hollister

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Don't know Zero's reason for wanting disc brakes on the rear but I'd like to have them on the rear of my Midget road racer -- will to for next season. Why? Increased resistance to fade in heavy use, lower temperatures resulting in less wear and less maintenance. Increased predictability due less fade, etc., etc.

My Midget daily driver? The rear drums are just fine, IMO. Oh yeah, on my street car, the fronts tend to lock up first though the rears are very close behind. That's the way I like them too, no spins induced by rear wheel first lockups.

Zero, several outfits have offered rear disk conversions over the years but the only one I'm currently aware of is offered by Winner's Circle in Cleveland, Ohio. Bugeye58 bought a set a year ago spring and it seems they were in the $600 and change price range. (Bugeye58 will be along here and will correct me if I'm wrong -- Hi Jeff!)

Here is a web link to The Winner's Circle web site:

The Winner's Circle home page

Hope this helps!!

Tim

Bugeye58

Yoda
Hi, Tim.
You are in the ballpark on the disc conversion price, I'd have to look at the invoice to verify it.
But, Z0, it's totally unnecessary on a street car. There are two reasons for running it on the racer, the first of which Tim covered. The other is weight saving. You'll lose about 5 pounds by switching to the discs. Nothing on a streetmobile, but very important when you are searching for the elusive 2 tenths of a second on a race car.
Another thing to consider, is that none of the rear disc conversions that I have seen are certified to be street legal. They all come with the warning of "For off road use only". Not to say that they aren't safe, but just that they haven't been tested and certified for street use. A potential liability issue should someone install them and then get into an accident.
Another issue is that no rear disc conversion should be installed without the use of a manually adjustable proportioning valve. If you've ever had the rears lock up before the fronts, you will understand the reasoning behind this immediately. It's kind of like,"Why am I looking east, but still going west?"
As far as the wheel size issue goes, they were designed for 13" wheels. I'm sure you can cram something else under there, but don't plan on turning, or taking any corners hard, or all you will be doing is eating tires.
If you want to tub it, have fun, but why not pick on something that has a little more availability and less sentimental value? Like a '76 Mustang??
Many of us have had Sprites/Midgets for over 30 years, and hate to see them butchered.
Jeff

OP
Z

z0sense

Freshman Member
I was mainly interested in the disc brake conversion as an option. Just curious to see what all people have done, or whats available.

I am not a mustang fan of any kind. I just want to see what I can do to the vehicle to make it more cosmetically appealing to me. Something a little more modernistic, like wheels. I like the car how it is, just though it would look a whole lot better with different wheels. Wouldn't necessarily have to be wide, but I want to try and get at least a 15" on the vehicle.

To be honest, I bought the car because I liked it, and felt it would make a neat project. Not because it was an Austin Healey:(

I have owned quite a few cars, and I like to think I am pretty good around them, I've just never owned British. I am learning more and more about the vehicles, and can appreciate the heritage.

I also like some of the wheels available, but for the money I fell I can do something more exciting for myself.

With this forum I am trying to learn as much as I can before I start anything major.

Country flag
Look at what this fellow is doing: https://www.the-mite.com

There are many things you can do to improve the car, but you should probably drive one that is well sorted it out in "stock" form. Then you can get a feel for the character of the car and what you would like to change about it. It is a very fun and spirited car. You can create quite a fun ride by changing/upgrading the bushings, sway bar and ride height/spring stiffness. just my 2 cents.