• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Got my first drive in a TR3 today

G

Wow - it's a totally different beast to the 6.
I can't believe how heavy the steering is, and how stiff the brakes are in comparison. (This was a fully restored bone stock car - it was really nice).

Feels like you are doing 60 when you are going along at 30. I kind of liked it. Prefer my 6, but still.....

TR4

Jedi Knight
My question would be, how does the power and acceleration compare between the 3 and the 6?

OP
G

They really don't seem that far apart to me. The trouble is the TR3 "seems" so much faster that it's hard to tell from the sotp. The 6 is easier to drive faster imo. But then I have one, and am used to it's quirks.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe how heavy the steering is, and how stiff the brakes are in comparison...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why during my resto on the TR3 I'm putting in the rack and pinion conversion, and will probably go for the dual master cylinders on the brakes along with the four pot Toyota calipers. They'll be plenty of TR3 experience left after these changes to keep me smiling. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

DonP

Country flag
"the TR3 "seems" so much faster"

That's probably because your elbow is always only a few inches from the pavement if you had the screens off.

As an original owner and year round driver, "back in the day", I can tell you the brakes were nothing short of incredible, compared to all the drum braked contemporaries.

But no power assist, on the brakes or steering, that's for sure.

OP
G

I was almost at the "ooh I wonder if I can touch the road" stage
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, Yes you can. But I'd reccomend doing it while stopped. Unless of course you're planning on robbing a jewlery store, and you want to remove your fingerprints.
The steering is definatly heavier than a 6, but it shoulden't be real heavy.
I've driven several TR2-3s and some were very heavy, but others (the ones that were adjusted properly, and not worn out) weren't too bad.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I've had TR6 owners along for a ride with me in my TR3A and they are all surprised by the way the TR3A can accelerate. Then I explain that the TR3A with 100 HP weighs 2000 lbs and while a stock TR6 may have more power, it weighs more than the 3A so they are about the same. Remember that the TR6 was supposed to have "Petrol Injection" with much more HP - as they are in UK, Europe and elsewhere.

I took my first ride in a TR3A in May 1958, when I went to pick up my car from the Triumph dealer. I was 20 years old and now 48 years later, I'm still 20 years old when I drive it. Boy TRs and the years go so fast.

See attachment. That's me on Highway #1 in Maine in August 1958. Still the same car.

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A

https://www.britishcarforum.com/ubbthreads/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/1919/ppuser/4127

Attachments

• 188681-Don1958.jpg
    188681-Don1958.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 110

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
One ride has converted many to TR3 ownership. As noted, the steering isn't as light as R&P but if correct (which it often isn't) it is not a lot of effort.

Easy to drag your knuckles alright... we have a lot of newspaper vendors around there that work out of the medians... when stopped for a light I often retrieve loose change on the road. When your hat blows off you can do a U-turn and grab it on the fly.

Nice photo Don... is that a daguerreotype?

Okay, I've attached my photo from 'back in the day'. Age 23 and as you might guess from the hairstyle & shirt -- the year was 1972. One friend captioned this photo "The Disco Love Bandit".

Attachments

• 188686-58TR3gh.JPG
    188686-58TR3gh.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 100

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

Nice photo Don... is that a daguerreotype?

[/ QUOTE ]

I spewed my beer all over the place when I read that!!! ROTFLMAO... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Check the fingernails on TR3 drivers...They are always shorter on the left hand then the right hand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

OP
G

Just curious - did you think about adding a servo. Places like summit have kits that aren't that expensive (compared to twin masters). It would sure lighten up the pedal.

JFS

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Regarding the cut-down doors: We love to take the TR3 to Road America via the beautiful up and down, curvy Wisconsin moraine countryside. On one occasion, my wife, riding shotgun with her elbow resting on the door top, became personally acquainted with the fresh liquid manure so thoughtfully spread by a local farmer. Her elbow got splashed and I was too busy keeping the 3 from sliding off the road to take a picture to one-up Don and Geo! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OP
G

Alan,
All this talk about a 3 now has me worried for you. I think that you may be smitten. Now, if you were to drive my friend Dave Hayden's TR3, you would really be smitten. Dave did a complete resto on the little beauty but turned it into a beast by professionally shoehorning in a GT6 engine. Lots and lots of giddyap.

Bill

OP
G

It was great fun, but I'd have liked it a lot better with a smaller wheel, lighter steering and a honking v8.

But then I'm just a foul heathen

swift6

Yoda
Not to encourage Alan anymore but there have been some really nice V8 coversions in 3's (as well as some horrible ones).

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
The daguerreotype was a bit before my time. I know it looks that way. But see a more modern photo of me in 1962, doing what most TR owners do before setting off on a trip, voyage, jouney, expedition, . . . .

Attachments

• 188810-Don-1962.jpg
    188810-Don-1962.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 86
OP
D

DougF

Bought my TR3 with 22,700 miles on the clock. Great fun. People ask me which one I enjoy the most, the 3 or the 6. Have to answer that it's the one I'm driving at the time. The 3 has always felt quicker out of the hole, but the 6 catches in the mid ranges.
A fellow once stopped and told me a story of his friend in college having a 3. Leaving a party and too drunk to drive, this fellow drove the car home with the owner passed out against the door. Upon arrival, he found that his friends knuckles had been dragging along the way. Loaded him back up and off to the hospital.
Still trying to decide if that is a good 3 story or a good drunk one.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I used to tell my girl friend that she could sand her finger nails by leaning over the cut-down doors. Before she quit smoking, I used to tell her to use the large ash tray - the one outside. I met her when I was 15 and we've been married for 40 years now. See attachment.

Attachments

• 188815-Don&LouiseJan2006.JPG
    188815-Don&LouiseJan2006.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 94

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Congradulations!
( I've still got my original Triumph - & Wife!).
- Doug