• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

gearbox oil

SPRIT3

Freshman Member
Hey new member, and new to the spridgets.
I wanted to know how to change and check the oil in the geerbox, on the sprite "assume the midget is the same"

I have to remove the c-head this week on the sprite, as i believe i have a suspect valve "number 4 cylinder" has anyone else ever encounted the same problem.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
To change the oil, warm up the car (drive it) and then remove the bottom square drain plug. After it's fully drained, put the plug back in and remove the (similar) square side plug. Fill the trans with oil thru the side plug hole until it sightly overflows out of this opening. You may need a small pump to get the oil in this hole. You can also use a long hose and funnel. Either way, it may be messy.
For 1275 cc cars (and older) use motor oil such as 10W-30 or 20W-50 (depends on local temps). For newer 1500 cars, use Gear-80/90 oil.

Biff

Jedi Trainee
Welcome to the group. Since you say "sprite" I'll assume that it is a 1275 or 1098 engine, and yes possibly a 948, however, dosen't matter, if the car has been run hard and long with the heater valve turn off it is possible from the heat build up to accelerate the burning of the exhaust valve. Not enough valve clearence (too tight) will also hasten it's burning.

As to the tranny oil, any good non detergent, mineral base oil from 10w to 50w is usuable. Do Not use any gear EP type oils as they will make short work at eating up the baulk/synchro rings and bushings in the tranny.

Dr_EluSivE

So you are supposed to run regular Motor oil in the 1275 trannys? I have always been told to run gear oil so thats what i always put in. Last time i used 75wt synthetic castrol gear oil. Should change it to engine oil? When i got the car there was No oil in it and it had/has syncro problems with 3rd, after putting the synt gear oil it it got better but didnt solve it. I was gonna swap transmissions but do you think Motor oil would help?

Dr.

OP
S

SPRIT3

Freshman Member
Thanks for the help, I changed the oil with no problems. As i have said i had a mini for the past 3 yrs so toping up transmition was never a problem, as the engine sat on top of the geerbox, and uses the same oil.

If anyone has any tecnical questions about the a series motor i have had them all, throw them at me, becasue i have been wasting yrs away on these oil dripping engines.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Gear oil is used in the 1500 all-syncro trans only (in newer cars).
Older cars with the non-syncro first gear trans should use motor oil. When I say "older", I mean 1275 cc and before.
You might want to try Red-Line synthetic motor oil in your trans....I've heard it works well in the rib-cage trans.