• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

gearbox oil

brdave

Getting things together and preparing to complete the installation of the new clutch into the 76 TR6 tomarrow morning. One quick last minute question is what is the recommended gearbox oil for a 76 overdrive gearbox?
Dave

G

Valvoline 30wt Non Detergent motor oil. I just drained mine after 10,000 miles and it looks really good. I have a J-type overdrive. John Esposito from Quantum rebuilt my overdrive and stated the the warranty will be voided if I used anything else. (He didn't specifically designate Valvoline brand though.)

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
I recently read some info regarding trans lubes and and pressure tests and SAE 30W seems to be a good solution. Gears lubes allow too high of a pressure in the O/D unit.

I know some people swear that detergent motor oils "foam" like soap but they cetainly aren't made from soaps or detergents...and they contain anti-foam agents. have you EVER seen bubbles coming from your oil pan?

For decades Chrysler used ATF in their all of their manual transmissions with no foaming problems and ATF is considered a high detergent oil.

I guess I'd use SAE 30W too. But i guess I wouldn't worry about wheteher or not it's a detergent oil.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I had read this earlier and decided against posting it but now that someone asks:

YankeeTR wrote:
[ QUOTE ]
I know some people swear that detergent motor oils "foam" like soap but they cetainly aren't made from soaps or detergents...and they contain anti-foam agents. have you EVER seen bubbles coming from your oil pan?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, sure have! Quaker State oil to be specific. Foamed up like an egg-white (well, okay, couldn't "peak" it). And it was ND to boot... "detergent" has nothing to do with it. Wouldn't put it in an oil can for Radio Wagon axles. Pennzoil, Valvoline, Havoline, Wolf's Head (find THAT!), Amalie, anything but QS for me... I've gone to Castrol GTX 20W50 for about everything now.

bailee2

Jedi Hopeful
Along this same subject, what is the best way to service the OD when drained? Meaning does the oil flow to the OD when you fill at the Transmission Fill Plug? How much Valvoline 30WT should I expect to use? BTW, I have the "A" type OD.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif
Arlie King
1959 TR3A
1972 TR6

Lou Metelko

Jedi Trainee
Arlie:
Remove the plug on the bottom of the transmission then remove the big brass nut on the bottom of the OD. There is a cup shaped screen that will come down with the brass plug and a circular magnet on the base of the that brass plug. Wash the screen and magnet with solvent and reinstall. I reused the brass plug washer with no problems.

Refill takes just shy of two quarts of Valvoline 30W non-detergent.

There is a common hole between the transmission and OD so put in 1 1/2 quarts, let sit for 10 minutes and then top up.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, indiana

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]
I had read this earlier and decided against posting it but now that someone asks:

YankeeTR wrote:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, sure have! Quaker State oil to be specific. Foamed up like an egg-white (well, okay, couldn't "peak" it). And it was ND to boot... "detergent" has nothing to do with it. Wouldn't put it in an oil can for Radio Wagon axles. Pennzoil, Valvoline, Havoline, Wolf's Head (find THAT!), Amalie, anything but QS for me... I've gone to Castrol GTX 20W50 for about everything now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you'll see weird stuff with anything. But in the 46 years I've been working on this stuff I've never seen it. I spent several years as a mechanic at new car dealers and service stations that used QS exclusively and I never saw that happen.

We DID have one guy who swore that QS turned to "grey goo" in the top of the engine. We did see a few cars with grey sticky sludge but most of those engines were using Uniflo. We had an ENCO (before Exxon) oil chemist come by one time and we asked him about it. He told us it was caused by blow-by combining with the lead in the fuel (this was in the mid-60's).

Since Quaker State and Pennzoil are now blended in the same plants I wonder if the "yellow" stuff should come off of your "buy" list. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif