• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

front brakes

mixbugeye

hi all
i own a mk1 sprite
i am hoping to convert the front drums to disc brakes
have been told two different stories on parts required as i want this project to be done right first time but i dont want to buy parts i dont need
them main conflict is wether i need new stub axles and king pins as been told yes and no from two different suppliers and will the new king pins fit to old suspension bit confused as the dollar difference is a bit
any help would be appreciated
thanks
mick

Bugeye58

Yoda
Mick, firstly, let me welcome you to the Forum. The Spridget group is quite active, and has a bunch of very knowledgeable folks.
The kingpins, stub axles and hubs are indeed different between the drum / disc brake cars. The ideal solution would be to find a suitable donor vehicle and swap everything over to the Frogeye. A '63 to '67 would be ideal, as you would retain the tandem master cylinder in the correct 3/4" bore size for the discs. Although some say they have done the conversion successfully using the original master cylinder, I have no personal experience with this approach.
If the donor car is difficult to find in Oz, another option may be to buy the required components here in the States, and have them shipped over. I recently bought kingpins, axles, hubs and calipers to convert one of mine for $250.00 (USD).
Hope this has helped, and keep us informed. I know there are several people here who have done the conversion other than myself.
Jeff

bugimike

Yoda
I also have made the conversion (retaining the original MC) and would say that Jeff has pretty much covered the bases for you. I agree with him that the best way is to find a "donor" car of the right year and switch out the whole lot, A arms, spindles, kingpins etc. Makes the job just so much easier! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

PS welcome to the best LBC forum on the planet!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Welcome indeed.

healeyboz

Jedi Knight
Welcome! Make sure to keep your old parts until the transplant is completed. You will need to use the original steering arms that connect to the tie rod ends. The originals are tapered.

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
I eventually, want to do this. In addtion to the kingpins one also needs the "A" arms from the doner?

Country flag
Later model A-arms have reinforcing plates on the underside. Not required, but a good idea if you are going to be using a sway(roll) bar.

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
Thanks Trevor,

Not too far from me is a Brit Car shop where the guy has a bunch of used parts. He said he had a bunch of spridget suspension stuff laying about. I want to take a look.

What's needed to change the rear drums to a later model brake piston?

Bugeye58

Yoda
John, you'll need the backing plates, complete with wheel cylinders and adjusters, and the later model emergency brake linkage. Prepare to make new rear lines, and while you're there, change the rear hose as well.
Jeff

OP
M

mixbugeye

thanks guys
jeff
your advise is extremly helpful and throws answer another question about master cylinder was told orig would work no prob
and nobody mentioned replacing the arms as well more dollars
a doner i think is a top idea
but your suggestion of parts from us is much cheaper option than ive found in australia looking at $2500 from suppliers
plus m/c
which supplier would you recomend and their website would be apreciated
thanks again to all
mick

Bugeye58

Yoda
Mick, the steup I got for $250 was used, and didn't include the master cylinder. I found it on eBay.
You don't have to buy new steering arms, you use the ones you have now. The later production cars went to a different size tie rod end that used a smaller taper. The Frogeye arms will interchange perfectly, so you can use your existing setup.
How does the availability of a donor car look down there?
$2500.00 here will get you a daily driver!
Jeff

OP
M

mixbugeye

now i know what i need im started to have a look around for a mk2 or 3 or a midget and see what dollars there pulling for a wreck etc
unfortanitly $2500 wont buy a road worthy spirte in australia closer to 10g for a fairly good one
going to have a look on ebay international and see no parts avaiable at the moment in oz
thanx again jeff

mick

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
Mick, welcome to the Forum. You will be glad when you have the disc brakes installed. Don't forget to buy new flexible brake lines. Stainless steel are not to much more expensive and are better.