• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

leak front brakes

19_again

Jedi Warrior
I just took the B out for a quick check after some exhaust clamp tightening and my brake pedal went slowly to the floor. Back in garage I see Brake fluid around the outside of right fronttire. Checking the lines at the wheel can't see leaks at the connections, not a good thing. As the boss presses her foot to the floor, fluid starts dripping from the bottom of the brake housing, it seems that an inner seal has let go. At IMHO, any other ideas? I was really hoping I would be working on it rather than driving it on the fourth, NOT. May need to add to that order Tony!
Is it even financially logical to repair the seals etc or should I just replace the caliper assy?
Thanks,
Mike

1965_MGB

Jedi Warrior
The calipers are actually pretty easy to rebuild. The cost is not that bad when compared to new calipers. The only suggestion I would have is to split the caliper halves, even though the manual tells you not to do that. It makes pulling the pistons, and cleaning things up much easier. You just have to remember to order the special o-ring that goes in between the halves, as they are not included in the kit.

I would also opt for the stainless pistons, as they will last longer than the chrome ones. I just rebuilt my calipers, and it was a breeze after I split the halves. Years ago, I rebuilt them without splitting them, and it was not a good experience.

beachbumbarry

If you split the calipers buy bolts and torque them to the proper torque. Don't forget to do it in a clean area and your hands should be clean or use latex gloves.
BarryE

beachbumbarry

I forgot to tell you Moss motors dosn't recomend splitting the calipers and dosn't sell the 'O'ring or the bolts. I think that I bought mine from Brit-Tech or BritVic.
BarryE

1965_MGB

Jedi Warrior
The bolts should not be a problem, but the Moss part number for the square o-ring is 180-285, they call it a fluid channel seal.

Bob at Brit-Tek has nitride coated pistons. They are a bit of an expense, but when working on the brakes, cost should not be a primary concern.

No matter how fast you go, you have to be able to stop.

OP
19_again

19_again

Jedi Warrior
In the interest of safety and 'cause I know my limitations, I'm just replacing the caliper assembly. As Ron points out, cost is not a primary concern on my brakes. Thanks all for the suggestions, I've tackled pretty much everything so far myself with the forum's invaluable help. but the brakes are something else. Safety Fast---Stopping Fast!
Happy Fourth of July

Thank You Vets.

1965_MGB

Jedi Warrior
Rebuilt units are the way to go if you are not comfortable with rebuilding them. Let us know how things work out.