• Hi Guest! Being a Paying Supporter is NOT a requirement to participate at BCF. However, subscribing will help ensure we can continue to serve the LBC community for years to come. If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource...Please consider supporting us by **Upgrading**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this banner)
Tips
Tips

Rear differential drain plug leak

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
I tried some thread sealant but a small leak persists from the drain plug. To those who have solved this annoyance, what did you use on the threads? Silicone sealant?
Thanks!
Lin

Jack T

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I tried some thread sealant but a small leak persists from the drain plug. To those who have solved this annoyance, what did you use on the threads? Silicone sealant?
Thanks!
Lin
Might be the type of sealant you used. Make sure it's suitable for use with oils.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks!
Lin

Try plumbers Blue tape Lin.

Country flag
Thanks!
Lin

I've always liked to experiment with sealants and adhesives (much to my father's annoyment), but don't like using teflon tape where a piece could break off and 'gum up the works' (yes, I know it wouldn't do much in a diff). Permatex Thread Sealant (with teflon), has always worked for me; if it doesn't for you I'd look closely for a crack or defect in the plug or the threads of the diff case.

As an aside, the following shows some, er, 'interesting' things going on in a diff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-yG3D3JBRs

Country flag
Loctite 518. It's what I use on bolts that are in open-end threaded holes into BMW differentials (below oil level).

It works as a bit of a thread-locker too, so additional effort will be required the next time you go to drain the fluid.

518-50ml__06496.1460383236.jpg

Good stuff to keep around, as it will substitute for a gasket altogether. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gasket-S...MIqvzMotG-3gIVCJyzCh1pVgNbEAQYAyABEgJPsPD_BwE

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I just replaced my differential gear oil last weekend. I used the black sealant from Permatex, also referred to as, "Make a Gasket" Sealant. Claims to be good when using with oil. Used it in conjunction with my cork type gasket to my valve cover, too. No leaks.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Lin--

Consider drilling and safety wiring all your drain plugs--diff, engine, transmission. It is mandatory on race cars for a good reason and there will be one less thing to obsess about!

Country flag
OK, I can't for the life of me see how you can safety wire the diff and gearbox plugs; they're recessed and if you drill you'd likely go through threads. I've never heard of one backing out, as I believe they're pipe threads and you can torque them down pretty tight.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Bob--

There is enough thickness on the face of a plug to through-drill a small hole in at an angle into which you can insert the wire. Some plugs stand a bit proud of the surface of the housing and they are easiest. For those that go flush when tightened it may be necessary to drill two angled holes so they meet and allow the wire to be passed through. Finding a place to anchor the wire is easy and on diffs I use an oval or oversized washer near the plug and drill a hole through that.

Needless to say, drilling out the plugs should be done with them off the car....

Country flag
Probably not necessary on a street car; at least, I don't lose any sleep over them falling out. Presume you use stainless wire? What thickness of wire do the tracks specify?

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Bob--

It's probably not necessary on a track car either but it is what it is. I have never seen a spec for either size or type of wire--just that all drain plugs must be "wired"--nor have I ever seen a tech inspector get under a car to check, though engine sup drains are usually easy to see from above. Personally I enjoy the exercise.

Country flag
I built this engine for a guy that races, and asked him to send me the engine specs out of the rule book__I didn't want to inadvertently get him in trouble...

You know, just to present a visual aid to Michael's suggestion!

IMG_8987-me.jpg

IMG_8989-me.jpg