• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Fiesta Bosch Bolt on TR6 Alternator

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
When they said bolt on replacement, I figured, "yeah, right!"

Instant 55 amps versus 43 stock unit.

This bad boy went on in 20 minutes. Plugs are the exactly the same and no changes to any brackets. Much brighter headlamps at idle and I haven't installed the Masters relay package yet.

I had to buy this out of a dealer NJ, because the factory won't sell direct, but they dropped shipped direct to me in two days. It came with the test printout showing voltage and amperage outputs, plus a bunch of other stuff.

I don't know why their site is down right now but here it is: https://www.pprok.com Tech Support 800-654-3846

Come on spring!!!

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Pretty slick isn't it Paul. I had a new one kicking around in my shop for a while and finally sold it to a friend for his 6 for 25+shipping.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Don,

Needless to say, I paid more than $25, but there are deals on these from everyone from NAPA to the company above. This came with a lifetime warranty from Foreign Automotive, Inc., which was the retailer in NJ that sold it to me.

The main thing to remember. 1978-1980 Ford Fiesta, with A/C, Bosch style, alternator 55Amp.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I think I paid about a C note from our local car parts store.I think the no core killed me.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I should have posted the price. My bad! I paid $110 plus $5 for the core (for that money, I'm keeping my perfectly good hometown rebuilt Lucas unit).

As I said, there are probably better deals $$$ wise, but with the lifetime warranty, I'm happy.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
That's my nitro juice, like we used to use on the 62-63 Olds F-85 Jetfire Turbos. Remember those? With the Aluminum block 215 CID producing 215 HP.

G

Nice, Paul. The only problem that I see is the closeness of the alternator to the engine caused by the adjustment arm and that same arm making for what seems to me a very difficult and tenuous ability to adjust the tension in your fan belt. Consider clocking your alternator and moving that attachment point farther away from the engine and using the universal bar available at all big box automotive stores, shown here and reground a bit to work. My alternator is the AutoZone 66 amp Delco-style unit.

pully.jpg

G

Oops, maybe reclocking won't work. Perhaps just rotate it outboard more and use the above-mentioned bracket. Just a thought.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Bill,

Maybe the pics aren't clear. There is nothing in the way at all. It's easy to get at the bolts/nuts and the pry bar slides right under. Simple adjustment.

Actually, it's exactly where my original has been for 34 years.

G

Guess it is just that the stock-style bracket doesn't work very well with the Delco-style, that plus I wanted more room to get to the #1 plug, plus I can tension mine by hand. The bracket on the bottom of the Autozone is quite substantial and had to be cut a bit. I have a massive bolt holding the bottom part down so the extension of the unit away from the engine is not an issue. Guess they both work well. That big-boy Spal fan likes some juice and the 66 amp Delco gives it up well. (Actually brought it to a professional starter shop and had them change the bearings to better quality ones. The tested the alternator and it actually tested out to 69 amps.)

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Bill you remember correctly. The adj. bracket doesn't work for the Delco. I used a turnbuckle type arrangement with 2 female heim joints. 1 lefty thread and 1 righty and built my own bolt.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
It's a 1974 Tom, gaining on 2008.

The Fiesta years are 78-80 with A/C Bosch style. There are three (3) for those years.

And Bill, I found out about the draw from the Spal fan after I got this alternator. I'll cross that bridge when the engine is done.

This and the Dan Masters relay kit for the headlamps will get me into summer evening cruises with decent vision.

TR674

Jedi Warrior
Paul
thanks for posting the info. It saves some of us some tedious legwork. I found a second hand Bosch 55a alternator in a Triumph workshop, it has a modified mounting point and requires the elec connector to be modified. Cost is $150, but I haven't bought it yet. I'll have a look at the one you bought.
Regards
Craig

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The Bosch one might be from another car. That would be the only reason to modify the mounting point.

Ah, check that, I have no idea how other Triumphs mount so I won't go shooting off my mouth.

Opa

Jedi Trainee
anybody try one of these alternators? It's a Lucas part # LEA 0272 70 amp., which looks to be a direct bolt on for late model tr6.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Opa said:
anybody try one of these alternators? It's a Lucas part # LEA 0272 70 amp., which looks to be a direct bolt on for late model tr6.
How much?

Opa

Jedi Trainee
I haven't looked into prices yet Don.

Lucas actually has three units this style and fitment in 70 ,72,and 100 amp.output confiq. Will look into pricing and hopefully see one or all today.

These units are not "rare" as they are common in industrial equipment.The one I saw yesterday is mounted on a JCB Backhoe tractor.It looked like a familiar lump so I took the numbers off of it, looked it up on the net and that's where I got the posted pic. from