• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bosch alternator

tomshobby

Yoda
I am having some trouble finding a Bosch 55 amp alternator from a 1980 Ford Fiesta.

Has anyone had experience with a 70amp Lucas? I have found a source for a new one that would be a direct fit.

I could fit a Delco but am short on time because of a family happening and other projects.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Tom,

Precision Parts & Re-Manufacturing

https://www.pprok.com/

Very good on giving specs at tech support. They do NOT sell direct, but will tell you of a local (to you) distributor to order it, or buy if in stock.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
I put a Bosch 55 amp in mine!

this is where mine came from, try this: Bosch alt.

DSC01476.jpg

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tom- have to be careful. Not all come with the pulley. The one Paul posted does.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Well fer that price you may as well have them mail it to ya....lol'

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
tomshobby said:
Has anyone had experience with a 70amp Lucas? I have found a source for a new one that would be a direct fit.
BTW, what Lucas is that? The ones I'm familiar with are larger diameter than the stock alternator. Possibly the TR6 can accomodate them, but a Stag doesn't unless I make different brackets.

OP
tomshobby

tomshobby

Yoda
Hi Randall,
The supplier called this morning and told me about it and that it was the same dimensions.
We did not have much time to talk because I was on the other line talking to my brother about the fire his kids had this morning.
I will try and get more information about it and let you know.

kodanja said:
Well fer that price you may as well have them mail it to ya....lol'
I agree totally, it just seemed strange when I talked to them last year that they don't have counter sales considering the size of the population.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I have that info somewhere too Randall. I think it was for a 75 or 80 amp. I'll look when I get home tonight. I had already bought mine, or I would have made the switch to that one.

OP
tomshobby

tomshobby

Yoda
I just got off the phone with the shop that I use for rebuilding alternators. Mike said he has a core for one of these new series Lucas alternators and I am going to drive my TR6 there in the morning to check the fit. He told me they use these for use on fork lifts and other industrial equipment. He also said he visits a forum for rebuilders and he has not seen anything about anyone having problems with them.
I will let you all know what I find out.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Tom,

That is exactly how I found mine, through a Bosch industrial listing. Clocking of the rear housing may need to be moved 90 degrees, but the connector should be the same according to the diagram that I had.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Here is the other source that I found AFTER I had mine on the car. There was a thread on this a while ago, but I can't find it. Anyhow, here ya go:

https://www.bbbind.com/index.cfm/FuseAction/products.Lucas/index.htm

With these higher 70-80 amp units, anyone who installs it BETTER plan to run a new wire back to the starter, in heavy gauge quality cable.

GreenOne

In addition to that all the wiring would be in question as the original was designed for around a 40 amp potential, now you would be looking at a 70 to 80 amp potential which is basically double the original !!

Brosky said:
Here is the other source that I found AFTER I had mine on the car. There was a thread on this a while ago, but I can't find it. Anyhow, here ya go:

https://www.bbbind.com/index.cfm/FuseAction/products.Lucas/index.htm

With these higher 70-80 amp units, anyone who installs it BETTER plan to run a new wire back to the starter, in heavy gauge quality cable.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
GreenOne,

That is what the previous thread from over a year ago got into. Much debate about it, but the starter wire is the minimum. I only put this up for reference for Tom, not to relive that again. But I do agree with you, as I've already added the Masters Headlamp Wiring Harness due to the PL700 Halogen lamps.

GreenOne

Paul, I know you know the issues that was not meant to minimize your statement just to point out to the less knowledgeable that more power is not necessarily better, especially if the freaking wiring is 35 years old.

Brosky said:
GreenOne,

That is what the previous thread from over a year ago got into. Much debate about it, but the starter wire is the minimum. I only put this up for reference for Tom, not to relive that again. But I do agree with you, as I've already added the Masters Headlamp Wiring Harness due to the PL700 Halogen lamps.

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
hee hee hee!

bevis.gif