• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

110-amp Bosch Alternator Upgrade

One Fast MGB

Freshman Member
Upgrade to a contemporary Bosch 110-amp alternator. Quick and easy and little cost.

Details and pictures @

https://www.onefastmgb.com/pages/6/index.htm

cheers.gif

piman

Darth Vader
Hello OFm,

I would say that is a little over specification.
Should you manage to find sufficient load to use all those amps, I question whether the cables are large enough to carry the current? The red cable shown has a blue crimp terminal, which in this part of the world anyway is 2.5 sq mm terminal, say 30 amps full load? Your heater may become redundant should the alternator's potential be realised, the heat from the fire will suffice.

Alec
thirsty.gif

[ 01-27-2004: Message edited by: piman ]</p>

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm clueless...why would anybody need 110-amp in an MG? I'm having a hard time finding reasons for my 45-amp Delco alternator that plugged directly into my original wiring harness without any mods!

nice car though

[ 01-27-2004: Message edited by: tony barnhill ]</p>

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by piman:
Your heater may become redundant should the alternator's potential be realised.......

Alec
thirsty.gif

[ 01-27-2004: Message edited by: piman ]
<hr></blockquote>

Good One!
lol.gif
lol.gif

Tony:

My guess is that a very high amp alternator might be useful to power super bright driving lamps *and* a high-output "kicker" sound system *and* an A/C system all at the same time. (of course, I'm just guessing, since I have minimal lights and no radio in mine)

It is a nice car.

[ 01-27-2004: Message edited by: aeronca65t ]</p>

G

with all the solenoids and such you are adding you soon may find a reason Tony
driving.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda
I'm running a 60 amp Hitachi on my Spit racer, but mainly because, 1. The distributorless ignition wants a good steady voltage. 2. It was free!
I can't see the need for a 110 amp alternator in anything that we would be running. Just more parasitic load on the engine.
Jeff

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
chuck...you may be correct...especially with the way they're modifying the tr5unk to hold a kicker stereo! But, 110? Maybe 60 but not much more!!

Actually, I'm surprised that ad got past Basil!

[ 01-27-2004: Message edited by: tony barnhill ]</p>

G

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bugeye58:
I'm running a 60 amp Hitachi on my Spit racer, but mainly because, 1. The distributorless ignition wants a good steady voltage. 2. It was free!
I can't see the need for a 110 amp alternator in anything that we would be running. Just more parasitic load on the engine.
Jeff
<hr></blockquote>

Jeff, I believe the parasitic load would only increase as much as you are using. In other words I believe the load would be close to the same as long as you used the same as say a 60 amp alternator. Its just that the 110 is capable of a lot more.
I agree 110 is a lot. That translates to 1320 watts. By the sound of them in traffic, some of these stereos the guys are running could approach that. 60 should be plenty for the normal setup.
Back in the 60's I did some amatuer mobile radio and my voice would make the ammeter jump all over the place and I was only running about 250 watts on side band. It wasn't an MG by the way.
Bob

Bugeye58

Yoda
Bob, you caught me in a senior moment. You're right, of course, about the load being proportional to the demand. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.
blush.gif

Jeff

G

OK, Jeff, I wasn't trying to embarrass you. Just thought you didn't know. I can't count the senior moments I have during the course of a dat -- oops, there goes another one-- correction, day.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Bob, I never thought for a moment that you were trying to embarrass me. I do that just fine on my own, thank you!
I, of course, was thinking of the load at rated output. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!
Jeff
lol.gif

G

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by adam90009:
i just got a delco one that puts out 87 amps and that wil be for head lights, 7in driving lights, radio, 600w amp ,480w amp, and the car its self.<hr></blockquote>

WOW, you're going to be running even a 110 pretty warm. Are you still going to do it with that little single fan belt?
Lets see 87 amps ---times 12 ---thats 1044 watts. You are consuming 1080 watts with the radio and amp alone hmmmmmm. You might ought to consider that 110 at least.

[ 01-27-2004: Message edited by: mrbassman ]</p>

OP
O

One Fast MGB

Freshman Member
Sorry Guys. I didn't mean cause such a reaction. But I will explain my thought process on upgrading to the 110-amp. First I drive my MG daily. Doing so I am in and out of traffic. Some time is spent at idle. As we all know, I'm sure, the out put of the alternator is not constant. Power increases or decreases with Rpm's. The 110-amp begins out put at 100 rpm and peaks at 110 @ 6000 rpm. I'll rarely see the 110 amps if ever. At 1000 rpm it produces around 50 amp. I don't think I'll cook much sitting in traffic at idle. At 75 mph, that's about 3400 rpm for my car, it is producing approx. 85 - 90 amp. Since the engine is using more amps, I don't think I'll cook much there either.

I do have a radio in my car it has no power amp. That is not the draw. It's the CD player. I do listen to CD's in the car. Mostly in winter when I have the top up or hard top on. But that's why I installed the radio. MG did sell them so I assume there have always been people that listen to the radio.

I am using a Jacobs electronic ignition which requires a bit more power than OEM or the upgrades made for the older cars.

Another benefit is I find I have a much stronger battery.

I was just offering a suggestion, didn't mean to imply that everyone should change.

These cars are wonderful cars to drive and enjoy. I dearly love mine, so much I sold my 1996 XJS to make more garage space for another MG. But, we do need to remember they were designed over 40 years ago and if we plan to USE them we must upgrade them.

Enjoy your cars and what ever makes that happen for you - I'm all for it.

violin.gif

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Darryl,

I'm sorry but you incorrect, output is not proportional to the engine revs. Dynamos and alternators have a threshold speed above which they generate the nominal twelve volts. Their capacity is greater at higher speeds but the regulator controls the voltage as long as the load is within the generators maximum output. The load is what you have running at the time, and that is what determines the generators current output.
I agree that upgrades are useful and understand all about dark, wet nights etc, being in the UK.
I was trying to point out that you cannot upgrade by strapping on a large output alternator without making sure the rest of the wiring is compatible with that rating. Overloaded wiring runs hot and even if not overloaded to melt down, you will then lose your extra capacity to some extent due to voltage drop in the undersized cable.

Good luck,

Alec
thirsty.gif

G

Darryl,
Don't worry about causing a reaction. We are all here to help each other when we can. We all love our cars and when something is brought up there will be many different opinions that will result from that post. Its fun and educational to see how many directions one of these posts will go from the original intent.

From the purest who doesn't want to do anything to his car that the factory didn't do to the hobbiest who is open to anything that will make his car better mechanically or appealing cosmetically. We are all here and enjoy sharing what we know.

We don't always agree on a lot of things especially what kind of brake fluid to use but one thing we all agree on is these little British cars are an awful lot of fun to own and drive and that is what its all about.

Welcome to the forum. I see you have a '72 "B" and a couple of others. Mine is a 72 and I have had it for close to 23 years now and still love it. Probably will never sell it and will probably still drive it when I get too old to get in it without help.
Bob

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well said, Bob...& I love that photo of your car with the color coordinated Works hardtop...when I bought my '79 new & they had the hardtop special ("$50 for a hardtop & you have to take one"), I made them paint it Vermillion Red!

G

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by tony barnhill:
Well said, Bob...& I love that photo of your car with the color coordinated Works hardtop...when I bought my '79 new & they had the hardtop special ("$50 for a hardtop & you have to take one"), I made them paint it Vermillion Red!<hr></blockquote>

Thanks, Tony, believe it or not I got that for free. A friend of my sons hauled that down from Maryland strapped on the trunk of his dodge and gave it to me. I painted it when I painted the car. It was black. The side windows are crazed and need replaceing.
Bob

[ 01-28-2004: Message edited by: mrbassman ]</p>

lawguy

Jedi Knight
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by One Fast MGB:
Sorry Guys. I didn't mean cause such a reaction. But I will explain my thought process on upgrading to the 110-amp...<hr></blockquote>

No apology necessary from my perspective. It seems like a well-thought-out and useful modification.

While there are more than a few things to think about with an alternator upgrade, a little time spent on your site, seeing what you have done with your car, reveals that you are certainly not a person who ignores details. Quite the opposite I would say. I have no doubt that your car is thoroughly sorted out.