• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Door Panel Remova;

mgbnew

I just noticed something interesting. I posted a question regarding removing the door panel and the question got 81 hits and only three replys. uummmm. Then I read a post asking a highly technical question and the replys come flying from all over.Something wrong with this picture or not many have removed a door panel. Out of the three I did receive good advise and was able to remove it. Not complaining at all. Just an observation. Thought it was worth a mention on the lighter side. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Guess we are not into door panels. However, we just love mechanical technical stuff.

The door panel questions were answered correctly, with relative straightforward ease, and pretty quickly. No need to beat a dead horse. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
but fun at times beating a dead horse can be! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
on second thought, does that mean that we prefer to let out door panels fall off due to old age, dry rott, etc. and work on all the fun mechanical bits that make fun noises? And when the door panel DOES fall off, we just 'hot glue' new ones back on? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

I just drive mine panel-less. hehehehehehehe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
<looks about furtively>

Umm.... What's a "door panel"?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

EDIT: AL!!! Please do NOT take this personally! If any of us had seen/read the post and known for certain how to advise it would have been flooded. I've been MIA actually "working" for the last few days so not nearly my usual arrogant 'posting-my-arse-off' self, either. Sorry!

OP
mgbnew

mgbnew

Hey no problem. I was just amused by it for a second. This is a great site for a new owner like me. Hey this is technical for me and all questions I have posted in the past have been answered with great advice. Wait until I start playing around with things like the engine itself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif IT will take someone with a technical background just to figure out what I am asking. LOL. Up until now I always thought a screwdriver was a drink. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
hey Doc, what did you use to rebuild your door panels? What kind of glue did you use too? Just sorta wonderin' if I'll be able to use the same sorts of materials in rebuilding my door panels with its hidden fasteners.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I used Sheffield Plastics "Macrolon" polycarbonate sheet, 0.115". Cut to fit, drilled holes to mate up with the nut-zerts I installed in the doors, made the "padding" with closed cell packing foam, glued all with Weldwood Contact Adhesive (I get it by the gallon: laminating the kitchen cabinets too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif). Herself hasn't yet stitched up the upholstery so I'm in a holding pattern...

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
hmmm... sounds simple enough. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif still a small debate on whether or not I want the door panels to have the same stitching patterns as the stock panels. The more I think about it the more I think I'm just gonna cover it plain Jane, if you will.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I did just that with the driver's side to see how it would look. I'll do a photo if ya like.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
That'd be cool. It'll help me decide whether or not it's too plain Jane or not.

Here's mine... I'm beginning to develop a bad pattern here I think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif...
224690-doors.jpg

MGB doors at the top (with smooth home covered panel on passenger side), and Alfa doors on the bottom

Attachments

• 224690-doors.jpg
    224690-doors.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 62

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hay Kenny, have you just thought about parting those out, gesh, sigh, they bad indeed. That would drive me nuts.

Nope they are just "drivers". Not going to leave my fold until I'm long gone... Only 2 of 3 cars I have that are paid for. The Toyota will be mine in about a year or so. Beleive me... They both will one day be as good as new... No rust on either of them, and I practicallly stole the MGB (for $700). The engines run really good on them both, they just both need an interior redeux, and fresh paint, and a few other small bits to be showcars. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, I have the panels that are not there. put inside away from the weather.... I took off the MGB one to clean some leafs out of the door, and the Alfa one, Tony took off before I bought it from him, so he could start to trace why the electric window didn't work. (it works, but the switch doesn't) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Trust me when I say that in a few years, they will both be Prime Examples of how to get a nice classic sportscar for cheap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Jack - once you see Kenny's cars in person, you'll find 2 rust-free & straight cars that haven't been 'molested' by prior owners...they're also original down to the things that happen to low mileage cars that sit outside & are kinda neglected. The Alfa is a one-owner (if you don't count my brief fling with it) as is, I think, the B.

Yep, they were both pretty much one owner.. the B actually had 2 before me, but very much similar to the Alfa (both had an interim owner who just resold it after holding on for about a year or so)... Only difference is, I know both MGB owners, and only one of the Alfa owners. (but I know the original Alfa owner lived in Tempe, Arizona - The MGB has been in Tuscaloosa, Alabama since new.)

Both cars have the same mileage (within 100 miles of each other)... around 88,500 miles each.

Body and interior wise, they are in almost identical shape. Actually, the Alfa has a few very small spots of surface rust that the MG does not... But I've stopped them from spreading - The B as one spot under the trim on one fender - I've stopped it too.... no Rust in either of their floors, none in the trunks/boots or sills/frame, and they both run... I just need one part for the Alfa to run correctly (and it's on it's way to me now). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Like I said... They'll both eventually become show-quality cars... maybe not show winners, but good 'nuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif